Do you Practice or do you Train?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been known to practice on a train...great place to practice rooting actually....does that count?

Practice - repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.

Train - teach (a person or animal) a particular skill or type of behavior through practice and instruction over a period of time.

Training - the action of undertaking a course of exercise and diet in preparation for a sporting event.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a difference, or no?
well yes, in the normal use,I train with my running I practise with my guitar, but then doctors train when they are learning and practise. When they are qualified

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me they are 2 words for the same thing, although "train" is usually used in a more serious context than "practice"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was to us, or it might be more precise to say there was in how we always used those words.

Train was always used for hard core, every day, no time off, b's to the wall do everything. It was also used specifically to denote a length of time, a length of preparation time, for upcoming competition.

Practice was a less intense, not quite full time, study of the arts we were doing. But again, this was just how we used those particular words.

I really don't do either any more. I just try to stay in shape and mess around with various things.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been known to practice on a train...great place to practice rooting actually....does that count?

I still use one of the sanchin stances, Uchi hachiji-dachi I think it is, when I'm on a moving train or boat.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess if I have to separate them, I'd do so this way...

Practice - Refining and or repeating a technique or series of techniques (kata, combinations, etc.) at a lower pace/intensity. It's about getting more skillful.

Training - More of a workout; increased intensity/pace.

Maybe this clarifies better...

Practicing on a heavy bag - not hitting as hard nor as fast; focusing on my placement of strikes, mechanics, footwork, making combos smoother, etc. Everything I throw has the intent of refinement.

Training on a heavy bag - hitting as fast and hard as I can while maintaining proper technique. Everything thrown has fighting intent.

At the end of the day, it's really all just semantics.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training is the act or process of being taught or learning something.

Practice is to perform something repeatedly what one has learned in order to acquire, polish, or master a skill or action.

Training should include some practice however, once one is trained practice can be performed with no additional training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still use one of the sanchin stances, Uchi hachiji-dachi I think it is, when I'm on a moving train or boat.
I always use hanmi (half-stance, feet usually in L), because it's our base stance. It sucks on curves to the off-side, though - no toes over there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....

I've usually used them sort of interchangeably. But they mean different things, in context.

Practicing a technique is usually pretty low-intensity. Practicing defending against attacks is usually pretty high-intensity.

Training for something is usually more intense than just training.

I've always said I "train for self-defense". But when I'm at the dojo, I usually refer to it as practicing. No idea why.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was to us, or it might be more precise to say there was in how we always used those words.

Train was always used for hard core, every day, no time off, b's to the wall do everything. It was also used specifically to denote a length of time, a length of preparation time, for upcoming competition.

Practice was a less intense, not quite full time, study of the arts we were doing. But again, this was just how we used those particular words.

I really don't do either any more. I just try to stay in shape and mess around with various things.

I tend to adhere to Buka's description and our dojang definitely
employs the 'shut up and train' philosophy

Myself - I train - 6 days a week, every week.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One practices to obtain skills and knowledge...keiko
One trains once the skills have been acquired...renshu

Latest Discussions