Dirty Tricks for the street!

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kick in nuts is nasty. Also If you think you might have a bit of a beast on your hands i.e. you've just belted some guy but you think he might get up and have another crack at you, I don't see any problem with hitting em/kicking em while they're down.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
And a few other characters as well as Richard Ames... the point is, in a true self-defense situation, the key factor is to react - and react quickly. What you do is not as important as not freezing.

One of my students told me recently (after a year in class) that the reason she joined was because she was set upon by a pair of girls in her area, who cornered her against a building (she was in the corner) and proceeded to beat on her; she didn't know how to get out, so she just cowered in the corner with her arms over her head. She is determined that this not happen again - that, if she is accosted again like that and can't run, she wants to know how to get out of the situation. Now that she understands that she may have to take a little punishment to get out, she's much more sanguine about her chances than she was before... in fact, she asked this question after class one day, and several of my other students jumped in with suggestions as well, helping her create scenarios and ways to get out of them; "what if" is a wonderful tool to get students thinking about applications and reactions - because your first reaction is what you're likely to do in a real situation.

My point, I guess, is that it doesn't matter what you do - or what you do it with, or how many "dirty tricks" you have up your sleeve - it matters whether you react or freeze when the need is upon you. Now, I realize this may not be in keeping with the original, light-hearted nature of the question - but it's what I've got!

This portion bolded and underlined is what I always taught my troops, reaction time is the one common thing in all of this. Teach them what they need and what they might not need, but above all else teach them reaction time.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
headbutt as stunn with follow up punches and swings.
i know this cause i had it happen to me once in a club.-after the headbutt i still got hit by 2.5 punches. the last one sortof slid off.

anyhow, just thought id add that one. im sure there are more although the ones shown were quite complete. just remembered a friend told me of the move where you don't step on the foot and push but rather inconspicuously hook the ankle with your foot and then push...whatever almost the same thing.

get your friend to crouch behind them and then simply push...ok just being silly. :) if all else fails just pick up a piece of poo, stand at combat distance and make them think it's a gun...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lets just simplify all of this eh?
As my eldest brother taught me a long (long :rolleyes: ) time ago when I first started fighting in school and after school...

"There's no such thing as a clean, fair fight!"

I've found over the years that he's right. In the dojang/dojo/tournament ring/mat yeah everything is ruled and regulated and monitored by a referee/instructor.
Anywhere else... it's anybody's ball game.

However; it is YOU dear reader that determines how far to go, how dirty to fight. Be it on your own terms of values and morals. Letting the other guy set it, is asking for a trip to emergency room or morgue.

blackrock

White Belt
Reaction score
Great thread. If the move has the potential to do extreme permanent damage or is life threatening then I deem it dirty only if the fight is non life threatening. * I know, another philosophical question and someone will chime in with "what's life threatening". If it's life threatening then there is no such thing as a dirty fighting move.

Anyway here's the link to my dirty fighting move list. Check it out and tell me what you think.

I think biting, foot stomps, groin strikes and breaking small appendages like fingers are some of the best dirty fighting moves.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dirty tricks for street fighting
1. Step on the foot and push backward to straight blast punching
2. Spit into the face and kick the groin
3. Throw dirt, snow, mud, pooo, drink, etc. in their face, and go
4. Grab and rip the shirt pocket, to uppercut to chin
5. Belt grab pull and punch face
6. Coat/sleeve hold and punch
7. Coat lapel choke
8. Pull coat down over arms to trap arms and punch
9. Pull the coat over their head and knee/kick
10. Push over chair, barstool object etc.
11. Pull bottom of t-shirt over their head front/back sides
12. Pull pants down and push over to kick- the way people hang them off rear anyway!
13. Slap in the face
14. Belt whip across mouth
15. flip shoe into face before punch
16. Fist loads, rolled up quarter's
17. Belt around knuckles for protection and harder punching power
18. Use shoes on hands for striking
19. Use clothes for handles and chokes
20. Use your coat for catching punches, kicks, over the head stuff
Here are a few I have used, and a few I have seen work in the street. Let's see what you can add to this? Your idea's welcome
Nubreed

If you can't already dominate someone physically, then doing things like biting them or rubbing excrement in their face is a really bad idea. If someone intends to harm you, and is capable of it, and you bring your **** into his face, well, I can only imagine he's likely now to maim you or do something really horrendous to you.

It's a bad idea.

Spinback

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty well-known as an experienced fighter in my circles of friends, and every once in awhile someone (normally a girl or group of girls) asks me for self defence advice. Over time I came up with a few basic ideas that are easy to remember and (to my experience and belief) highly effective.

The following are a list of highly vulnerable target areas (in order from first choice to last choice) that are ideal to focus on when being attacked "in the street".

1. Throat- Nothing stops a person like the inability to breathe. A quick strike from the throat will not only always hurt, it's going to scare whoever you do it to. I recommend training simple elbow strikes and the edge of the hand ("karate chop") primarily for attacking the throat, with punches, palm-heel strikes and fingertip strikes ("spear hand") as secondary, the last only if you train your fingers.

2. Eyes- Similar to loss of breathing, loss of vision (even temporary) can be very daunting and should give you enough time to escape. If the attacker is approaching you use a straight spread-finger strike at the eye. If you need to, group your fingers in pairs for a little extra power. Once an attacker has ahold of you either gouge at the eyes with your fingernails or stick your middle finger in their ear, grab their face, and drive your thumb into their eye as hard as you can. Done properly, this last technique could permanently blind them in the affected eye.

3. Knees- Diagonal stomps and straight toe kicks are the best for these. Aim for the side of the knee, or the knee cap, or the back of the knee (in that order of preference). While not as crippling as attacking the throat or eyes, getting hit in the knee hurts a lot, and should give you enough time to escape. Keep in mind that you shouldn't use the to kick unless you're wearing shoes with solid toes. The disadvantage here is that a kick (even one aimed as low as the knees) can throw you off balance, so if you choose this path, be ready with your eye-gouges in case you get tackled.

4. Groin- I can't tell you how many girls have gloated to me about having taken an "all women" self defence course where they learned moves that would incapacitate me. Generally I offer to spar with them and use a sideways forward stance. When they realize my groin is no longer a target they get confused.

The thing about targeting the groin is that it's not a consistent target. It's easy to miss a groin kick by striking the inner thigh. Also, by kicking above your own waist heigh (assuming the attacker is taller than your, which nine times out of ten they will be) you are putting yourself off balance and vulnerable. Even if you connect perfectly, a groin strike isn't guaranteed to work. Besides this, most guys expect girls to target the groin and nothing else. Why not surprise them with an eye gouge or throat punch?

If you're in an emergency situation and get an open shot at the groin, take it. But unless the guy's pants are off, don't try any of those stupid "grab, twist, pull" techniques. Your hand will slide on the fabric and the guy might just stomp on your fingers for trying. The best groin strike is a knee, with elbows and punches providing decent alternatives if you're on the ground.

Those are the four main ones, but there are others. You may have noticed that areas like kidneys, solar plexus and temples are missing from this list. That's because, simply put, those areas are unreliable. It's easy to miss a solar plexus or kidney shot, especially if the attacker as decent abdominal muscle coverage. Temples can also be tricky business, and the head is normally well defended. Most important is that these places require a certain amount of power to do damage. Unless you are a confident striker with decent power, it's best to stick the four areas listed above.

Of course, the best thing is to avoid any fight on the street. Run, yell for help, and run some more. Attacking the throat and eyes can cause deadly and/or crippling injuries, so don't take these techniques lightly. Anyone you use them on should be in the process of or about to hurt you a lot.

QIGONG

White Belt
Reaction score
...."There's no such thing as a clean, fair fight!" ...

Totally agree. If you do fight 'dirty', grab a pen, knife, phone etc.... make sure you are not fighting someone who is proficient in disarming pens, knifes, phones ha ha.

If you're fighting, and you eye gouge and bite and throw phones, (especially under pressure) be sure you're being smart about it and not just antagonizing the 300lb brute on top of you into pounding you harder. Be sensible and keep your whits about you, don't use unorthodox defensive moves as an excuse to get sloppy - make sure you're fighting with purpose in mind. Don't be apprehensive. You're more than likely not going to run into a gang of 'Cobra Kai' black belts outside your apartment :uhoh: and be utterly out-skilled, you'll probably be confronted with the drugged out scumbag who will usually require a severe eye gouging with a letter opener or knife-hand to the throat.

That is, if your converse to the groin proves to be ineffective.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spinback, turning sideways means the groin isn't a target? Wow. That's going to come as a real surprise to an awful lot of people. My wife just gave you the Ol' Hairy Eyeball and muttered "G-d bless the human elbow, G-d bless it where it bends" (part of an Olde Englishe drinking song). I've seen short petite women perfect the hooking uppercut to the goolies.

And do you know what? I have grabbed guys who were wearing pants by the plums. It worked. My hand didn't slide off. I never did get "stomped for trying". The guys in question tended to get a lot more reasonable very quickly. It's all about being matter of fact about it and not being shy about getting your hand near a guy's wedding tackle or believing that it's a magical thing that will always win the fight.

When my father was still in urological practice he got a number of patients who had been grabbed hard by the tender parts. They tended to arrive in shock, sometimes life-threatening.

It's not the be-all end-all. But it's not as "stupid" (your word) an approach as you seem to think.

As for the legal repercussions, if you're a woman being attacked by a (larger, stronger) man who is close enough to you to make a tactic like that work it's already a serious, probably life-threatening situation. "Disparity of force" and all that. It wouldn't be difficult at all to establish that a typical enraged man could beat a typical woman to death if she insisted on "fighting fair" and avoiding techniques that could cause serious damage.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for the legal repercussions, if you're a woman being attacked by a (larger, stronger) man who is close enough to you to make a tactic like that work it's already a serious, probably life-threatening situation. "Disparity of force" and all that. It wouldn't be difficult at all to establish that a typical enraged man could beat a typical woman to death if she insisted on "fighting fair" and avoiding techniques that could cause serious damage.

Agreed! While a lot of these "techniques" look good on paper/monitors actually doing them is one thing and actually GETTING AWAY with them is another thing entirely. There are some very VERY tough guys out there; guys who eat pepper-spray for a snack and can take more physical punishment/ignore pain better than the average joe.
Size up your attacker/opponent, over estimate what it would take to bring them down or at least incapacitate them enough so you can get the hell out of dodge. If your over-estimation says you can't take 'em or hurt 'em... you're probably right. But then again you might be surprised. Still why take chances?

Sometimes using a brutal technique (as those listed) provides the opportunities to escape but the window is very small, very quick. Gouging the eyes is very good but you got X number of seconds to take advantage of the guy's pain and get away before he reaches out and grabs you in anger/fear/pain or all three and decides vengeance is right NOW!
He may have just wanted to have a little "fun" with you but OMIGOD you hurt him! Now he's just pissed. It's time to be somewhere else real quick.
Those precious moments are yours and may be all that you got.
Besides it's also for HIS protection that you're skedaddling on outta there. Because you just might have to kill him to finish it, instead of both of you living yet another day.

Spinback

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spinback, turning sideways means the groin isn't a target? Wow. That's going to come as a real surprise to an awful lot of people. My wife just gave you the Ol' Hairy Eyeball and muttered "G-d bless the human elbow, G-d bless it where it bends" (part of an Olde Englishe drinking song). I've seen short petite women perfect the hooking uppercut to the goolies.

And do you know what? I have grabbed guys who were wearing pants by the plums. It worked. My hand didn't slide off. I never did get "stomped for trying". The guys in question tended to get a lot more reasonable very quickly. It's all about being matter of fact about it and not being shy about getting your hand near a guy's wedding tackle or believing that it's a magical thing that will always win the fight.

When my father was still in urological practice he got a number of patients who had been grabbed hard by the tender parts. They tended to arrive in shock, sometimes life-threatening.

It's not the be-all end-all. But it's not as "stupid" (your word) an approach as you seem to think.

I didn't say anything about legal repercussions. You'll notice I suggested an elbow or open handed strike to the throat first. My first priority in life-or-death self defense is survival. What the law says about the situation is less important. I agree completely with your last paragraph.

No, turning your hips sideways doesn't remove it entirely as a target. But when it's a teenage girl who learned to do a front snap kick in some aerobics self defense class against me, it may as well. I'm a pretty small guy but with the technique i know I'd put myself at about the same level of threat as a 185 enraged man. Also, I've taken groin shots before, albeit not very hard ones, but I normally manage to work right through them. And the adrenaline rush I get when I'm fighting is probably nothing compared to the bloodlust of a mugger or rapist.

As for grabbing guys "by the plums", well, I'm assuming you know how to fight. So there are probably other things you could have done to those guys that would have been even more effective.

If I didn't think attacking the groin was a decent method of self defence, it wouldn't be number four on my list; it wouldn't be on my list. But I still think an open hand to the throat is better than a kick to the groin. Maybe the term "stupid" was a bit harsh. I was only trying to dissuade people from going straight for the groin, and reinforce what I said earlier about the other targets.

edit-
There are some very VERY tough guys out there; guys who eat pepper-spray for a snack and can take more physical punishment/ignore pain better than the average joe.

Agreed; that's why I favour technique. I don't think anyone is tough enough to survive if a trained grappler gets them in a rear-naked choke.

Latest Discussions