different types of kenpo/kempo

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
from what i have seen there a 3 different types of kenpo/kempo:japanese,chinese and american.what are the main differences between these types?why is there a need for 3 types of kenpo/kempo?

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, if a kenpo/kempo style is practiced here in the US, it probably has roots to legendary Professor William K.S. Chow from that little island (Hawaii) in the pacific. In hindsight after going on only a short time of seven years in martial arts, regardless of the different types of kenpo/kempo and where the styles originated, I'd be concerned about a style that is most effective while out on the streets to defend myself and my family, especially against multiple attacking thugs. Knowing what I know now, If I were newly interested in martial arts, I'd want to find out what Chow's original kenpo/kempo was all about and try to see where and how I could learn that type of devastating kenpo/kempo.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
from what i have seen there a 3 different types of kenpo/kempo:japanese,chinese and american.what are the main differences between these types?why is there a need for 3 types of kenpo/kempo?

The word Kenpo/Kempo is of Japanese/Okinawan origin. They are not commonly used words in Japan/Okinawa as saying you do Kenpo in Japan is like saying you do Karate in the western world. It is totally generic. Any use of the word Kenpo preceded by American, Shaolin, Shorinji etc is a style of Karate concieved in the western world. Granted they may have lineage from other arts but not using the Kenpo/Kempo name. Ryukyu Kempo of the George Dillman lineage was just a name he took from another martial artist (who just used the name for what he was teaching in America, his family art from Okinawa was not called this) to call his art. I'm not saying any of these arts are good, bad or indifferent just that the name Kenpo is not a style name in Japan or Okinawa. Having said that a kenpo style concieved from a Japanes type base may be more hard and rigid than one of a Chinese base which may resemble Kung Fu.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
French wine, Italian wine, California wine...

All are wine, yes. But all have different histories, different lineages, and different cultural significances.

There isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, although some may argue to the contrary. There are definitely folks that have preferences and favorites. :)

Unlike wine...

With Kenpo...with any Martial Art...the instructor is more important than the art.

History and lineage have their meanings. However, they both mean nothing without an instructor that is right for the student.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shorinji Kempo was originated in 1947 in the Japanese town of Tadotsu.
Shorinji Kempo's founder, So Doshin
he took the Chinese and Japanese martial arts that he had studied and reformulated them into a single, unique technical structure, thus originating Shorinji Kempo.

What I was saying thank you, yes most Kempo/kenpo in the usa can trace back to Mitose.
and his teachings... and yes with out a good Instructor then it really dose not matter what style you like or learn. The teacher is key.
my 2 cents.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shorinji Kempo was originated in 1947 in the Japanese town of Tadotsu.
Shorinji Kempo's founder, So Doshin
he took the Chinese and Japanese martial arts that he had studied and reformulated them into a single, unique technical structure, thus originating Shorinji Kempo.

What I was saying thank you, yes most Kempo/kenpo in the usa can trace back to Mitose.
and his teachings... and yes with out a good Instructor then it really dose not matter what style you like or learn. The teacher is key.
my 2 cents.
i stand corrected. most arts with kempo in the name are of western origin

Cheers
Sam:asian:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
French wine, Italian wine, California wine...

All are wine, yes. But all have different histories, different lineages, and different cultural significances.

There isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, although some may argue to the contrary. There are definitely folks that have preferences and favorites. :)

Unlike wine...

With Kenpo...with any Martial Art...the instructor is more important than the art.

History and lineage have their meanings. However, they both mean nothing without an instructor that is right for the student.

Nice analogy!

I will add...I would have to say the student can be almost, if not, as important. :)

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought shorinji kempo was not related to shaolin kempo or the other kempo's??

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no they aren't....
Kempo in america is the result of several generations of inbreeding and re-branding and resembles very little it's origins.
thats what I thought, i remember reading that shorinji kempo was based out of okinawa and wasn't related to shaolin kempo

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
no they aren't....
Kempo in america is the result of several generations of inbreeding and re-branding and resembles very little it's origins.

Inbreeding - hmm, not how i like to look at it. I see Kempo/n as American, as Americans. A melting pot of ideas. Hopefully ideas that when put together become a bigger better model. The only problem that i have been coming across is that when new ideas come in they just get heaped on top of the old ideas.
In Peace,
Jesse

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Inbreeding - hmm, not how i like to look at it. I see Kempo/n as American, as Americans. A melting pot of ideas. Hopefully ideas that when put together become a bigger better model. The only problem that i have been coming across is that when new ideas come in they just get heaped on top of the old ideas.
In Peace,
Jesse

yes, inbreeding.
Kempo is not american in origin no matter how you slice it.......it's been americanized and stylized, shaolin'd, karate'd and mass marketed.
It's history forgotten, twisted and rewritten.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
yes, inbreeding.
Kempo is not american in origin no matter how you slice it.......it's been americanized and stylized, shaolin'd, karate'd and mass marketed.
It's history forgotten, twisted and rewritten.

slice it all you want - the term kempo was used in Japan as often as we use the term karate here in America - generalized. Inbreeding would be a bunch of Kempo guys doing things (smile here intended)- but you mentioned a few different arts there- i know its a play on words but why the hatred?
In Peace,
Jesse

Latest Discussions