Different looking belts...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those practitioners that are in arts that use a belt system, does anyone have "unique" belt colors or designs?

Any long time lurker not familiar with the ATA probably knows from conversations that in Songahm TKD they have a camouflage belt.

While on the eosin-panther site here, I found some interesting belts that i have never seen used.

While they have the more standard White/Red panel belts used by Judo and many Karate styles, they also have a belt with a black and white panel design.

They have a white belt with a red border, numerous variations on the Red-over-white renshi belts, and some freaky looking Flag belts.

So your thoughts on these belts and what have you seen that seems out of the norm (Black belt with or without stripes/bricks).

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had a funny conversation with my instructor the other day about belts like this, as he recently replaced his black belt with the camo belt. I asked him why he had made the switch, and here's how the conversation went forth
Me: Sensei, why did you get that new belt? Shouldn't you be wearing a black one?
Sensei: You know I'm your teacher, right?
Me: Yes, sir.
Sensei: Everyone else knows I'm the teacher, right?
Me: I'd hope so.
Sensei: And yet three others wear black belts too, so what makes me stand out?
Me: Your name is on the website.
Sensei:...And everybody bows to me when I tell them something. The point is, the only thing belts are good for is keeping up your pants, and I thought this one was pretty cool, don't you?
Me: I'm not a big fan of camo, but I have to say it looks pretty awesome. But by that same logic, could I be wearing any belt I wanted, and you'd be okay with it?
Sensei: You never have to wear a belt, you wear that bandana around your head all the time, I can easily tell you're a green belt.

Yeah, the bandana is green.
The moral of the story is, these belts are cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in training, so long as whatever instructor was okay with it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The hard thing that I have with a customized belt (like the examples on Eosin Panther's site) is that one has to be an insider of that organization to know the meaning of the colors, trim, etc.

There are general understandings (red & white pannels are Japanese Art 5th Dan & higher. Navy blue belt with a red border TSD masters belt, etc) but when a school or organization has a belt that only has meaning there, it's lost it's real meaning to the greater MA community. IMO

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Genbukan there are only 3 colors: white= newbie, green=any kyu level, black=any dan grade.

There are small stripes on the end to indicate level, but that's it, They are not really noticeable until you look closely. The only point to the stripes imo is that if you meet someone on the mat, you can discreetely read his level (for lining up etc).

Other than that, it is nobody's business what rank someone holds.
Those inside know already, and those outside have no business knowing.

I think it is true for many traditional systems that there are no big visual distinctions between different intermediate grades.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my school, we have a unique belt for 1st dan candidates (cho dan bo), It is a black belt with a red stripe. Nothing particularly odd or anything.

Peace,
Erik

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Why be the same? ...Why be different?

I wonder why so many choices of colors and clothes?

Food so many kinds...so many choices?

Soda, Beers, and drinks? I wonder why?

Why do we have choices? for everything there is in Amercia?

Uniforms....each branch has there own style and colors? is it because they are different from each other? ....

Different belts? ..what makes America great is the FREEDON TO CHOOSE WHAT THEY WANT OR NOT WANT//

Aloha, Aloha shirts...so many to choose from....

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
we use black, orange, and red.

sashes are for supporting the lumbar vertebrae, and stabilizing the core.

helps teach breathing also.

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, Why be the same? ...Why be different?

I wonder why so many choices of colors and clothes?

Food so many kinds...so many choices?

Soda, Beers, and drinks? I wonder why?

Why do we have choices? for everything there is in Amercia?

Uniforms....each branch has there own style and colors? is it because they are different from each other? ....

Different belts? ..what makes America great is the FREEDON TO CHOOSE WHAT THEY WANT OR NOT WANT//

Aloha, Aloha shirts...so many to choose from....

Like usual, based on the content and context of the original post I have no idea where Still Learning is going with this.

But I do love my Aloha shirts... my current favorite is a royal blue with white flowers, but it would look silly as an obi/thee/belt.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wado Ryu Karate has 3 levels of brown. There are probably a lot of solutions regarding the belts, using tags etc. What we use is solid brown, brown with black stripe and half brown/half black. In the past we used brown with white stripe as 2nd kyu but I guess it was changed because it was confused wth the kids belt.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like usual, based on the content and context of the original post I have no idea where Still Learning is going with this.

But I do love my Aloha shirts... my current favorite is a royal blue with white flowers, but it would look silly as an obi/thee/belt.

I still think, as it's been posted on different threads before, it's not the color of the belt that you wear, but the quality of the actual training that you're recieving.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
My most hated belt is the red and white panel belt, to me it's just ugly. http://www.eosinpanther.com/master-...-belt-with-matching-color-stitching-p-47.html

My most loved belt is the red with white stripe Hanshi belt from Seido. I hope to one day have one. To me it's the most gorgeous belt ever made.
HanshiGroup200806WEB.jpg

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For those practitioners that are in arts that use a belt system, does anyone have "unique" belt colors or designs?

Any long time lurker not familiar with the ATA probably knows from conversations that in Songahm TKD they have a camouflage belt.

While on the eosin-panther site here, I found some interesting belts that i have never seen used.

While they have the more standard White/Red panel belts used by Judo and many Karate styles, they also have a belt with a black and white panel design.

They have a white belt with a red border, numerous variations on the Red-over-white renshi belts, and some freaky looking Flag belts.

So your thoughts on these belts and what have you seen that seems out of the norm (Black belt with or without stripes/bricks).

Hello,

I wear a belt of the red and white block variety on black belt boards, while teaching seminars and on special occasions. While I do not see it as an oddity, I often get questions about it. I call it my "Cat in the Hat" belt. :) I wear it on occasion because my art designates that type of belt (or a plain black belt) at my level. I usually just wear a plain black belt.

The red and white block (sections) belt designates the level of full "teacher" in traditional Japanese arts, and a few other martial systems. I have seen belts of red and black sections worn at the "Renshi" level of some arts as well.

These days, it is interesting to see the various belt systems used in the martial arts. Things have gotten much more "eclectic" in the past 30, or so, years.

Good topic, thank you.
Milt G.

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's so much yellow on that belt, I had to get my glasses to figure out if it was a dirty yellow belt or a black belt with too much embroidery...

In other news, I just got a PM from 1994. They want their hair back from this guy if your classmate sees him again...

Reaction score
So wait... that's a senior yellow belt..? Right...? No? An anti senior yellow belt? lol just kidding... but what kind of form puts you on your toes and with your fingers like that? I know it's no knifehand guarding block there... But maybe it's just a picture at the wrong time... Such are forms...

My belt is black... Well... it's getting some discoloration in spots... sweat stains from good intense training. ;) The lettering and rank are all in silver. I just like silver and requested it. Yay options!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It seems to many people put emphasize on the colors and shapes in the belts...

Today...it is bragging rights or General Stars..of badges...

Where is the Humbleness...and role models...

Sensi, Sempi, Instructor, etc ..just Teacher should be enough....NOT Kings and Queens, your highness...Grand masters, Masters, Professors, etc..
and every student will know who is the Head...just as a teacher in any classrooms around America...

Humbleness....hard to earn....gritter...easy to put on!

To show respect? ...is to earn the respect...NOT show it!

.....for fisherman it is either recreational or Pro-fisherman...45 years of shoreline recreational fishing- title (recreationa fisherman)..and we love it!
NO belts...just fishing rods and reels.

Aloha, ....want to see my rods?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we had 'camo' belts we'd be laughed off the Garrison! Besides we see enough of it as it is.

Latest Discussions