Did God Create The Universe? Stephen Hawking

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I actually watched this show the other night and it was very interesting. However, it only depicts one man's theories so you can't take everything said on the program to be fact, because it is, like I already said, only a theory. Definitely a very cool show to watch though and it does get you thinking.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes only one man’s theory, but he is arguably one of the top men in his field, thus has all the credentials to give validity to the theory.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer Sagans Theory (Im only really saying that to clarify that i dont like this idea THAT much, as much as i just enjoyed watching it. Dont get the wrong idea, im not trying to debate anything.), but this was quite interesting to watch nevertheless.

Come to think of it, ive not seen Hawking do too much recently... Ive always liked his work.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am humbled by the genius of those like Aristarchus. How satisfying those moments must have been.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer Sagans Theory (Im only really saying that to clarify that i dont like this idea THAT much, as much as i just enjoyed watching it. Dont get the wrong idea, im not trying to debate anything.), but this was quite interesting to watch nevertheless.

Come to think of it, ive not seen Hawking do too much recently... Ive always liked his work.

Carl has been gone for 15 years now. Imagine what his view would be now based on the new data and research.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score

"Sagan's Theory" ?

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carl Sagans Theory regarding God, The Universe, and Evolution.
You should perhaps read in to it :)

I think I know what you are referring to. Yeah, his ideas, while I wouldn't say, I believe, are very compelling.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I know what you are referring to. Yeah, his ideas, while I wouldn't say, I believe, are very compelling.
Personally, i dont believe any theories. Science ought continue to Skeptically interrogate the Universe, but we can never prove one way or another, the existance of a 'God'.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is trying to disprove god, I think science is just moving forward and as more becomes known, old barriers and bias falls away.

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic show...he wraps it up fairly logically which is nice.

I do not entirely agree however in that I think there is a lot more to the equation than simply saying negative energy is in the space between galaxies though this may be the case.

It still does not explain the initial movement of that first piece of energy away from its associated piece of anti-energy since either that happened by magic or some other force acted upon it to move it.

As such we are still a long way off putting our fingers on the God juice.

Last edited:

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
So where did all this energy and space come from?

"Space and Energy were spontaneously created in an event we now call the Big Bang".

I mean seriously, after all that work to just fall back on a freaking cop-out, this argument is no different than saying God made it. The only difference is time, make the Big Bang soooo long ago and then people will believe it.

Hahaha WHAT?! Both of those claims are WAAAAAAY different.

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hahaha WHAT?! Both of those claims are WAAAAAAY different.

Not really, they are both saying that a magical force Spontaneously created something.

Hawkins goes on to show that he wasn't serious with that statement but he does not tackle the problem of what force caused energy and it's counterpart to seperate(come into existance) in the first place.

Science still has a long way to go.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really, they are both saying that a magical force Spontaneously created something.
I understand your position. But you are wrong. What the scientific method says is "Physical evidence and observation show that matter and energy sprang forth about 13.7 Billion years ago. "

They do not say they know what force happened. Scientific models 'describe' nature. They don't necessarily 'explain' it. We have never seen an electron. We don't really 'know what it is'. We only have 'models that describe how it appears to behave'.
Do you see the difference?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calm down, Gents :)

Theres the possibility that the Big Bang was just a Neutron Star exploding, or a previous Big Crunch. Or Dark Matter. There are so many THEORIES.
And even if you do conclude that it couldnt just happen of its own accord, therefore there must be a God, i can then also say; Who or What Created God. Because if a Sentient Cosmos Controlling Entity can exist, could not a Cosmos?

There is no sense proclaiming True or False when neither can yet be proven. You can Theorise.

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Naturally there are countless differences, I say they are the same because in the end both are flying in the face of logic with the idea that "it just happened".

Actually there are two potential trains of thought each of which could bear fruit but so far have not.

1. We find an energy source not limited by the restrictions on matter (ie: psychic energy) and it was this energy which pushed Matter and Antimatter apart.

2. We find an energy source not limited by the restrictions on matter (ie: psychic energy) and it "created" Matter and therefore without the need for an Antimatter counterpart.

Either way Science is unable to push deep enough into the way things work to explain the apparent "Spontaneous creation" of anything.

Yes, Fangjian I get your meaning. I merely took this stance because at 6:10 S01E01Part 3 it was presented that way. Granted it was as a joke.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions