Debut of Christian Kempo!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay some of you know I have been working on my thesis for 4th Dan. Due to the nature of the thesis and urging from instructors and friends I have decided to "upgrade" the bill of goods I was teaching my students and provide them with something that might actually save them on the street. ....so after 2 years and a lot of hard work and input from my seniors I give you the debut of "Christian Kempo":

[video=youtube_share;0cjGWxqeL-0]http://youtu.be/0cjGWxqeL-0[/video]

Chris

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay some of you know I have been working on my thesis for 4th Dan. Due to the nature of the thesis and urging from instructors and friends I have decided to "upgrade" the bill of goods I was teaching my students and provide them with something that might actually save them on the street. ....so after 2 years and a lot of hard work and input from my seniors I give you the debut of "Christian Kempo":

[video=youtube_share;0cjGWxqeL-0]http://youtu.be/0cjGWxqeL-0[/video]

Chris

Looks interesting, Chris...
So, why did you did you change the technique names, and the techniques themselves?
Just curious.

I do agree that many of the standard techniques are somewhat less applicable today (from purely a self-defense standpoint) then when they were originally developed.
As written, anyway. And like the bible, are open to individual interpretation.
Everything just seems more "fluid" these days. Time moves on and things change.
With some "tweaking" the originals are still useful, I think?

I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting! :)
Milt G.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks interesting, Chris...
So, why did you did you change the technique names, and the techniques themselves?
Just curious.

I do agree that many of the standard techniques are somewhat less applicable today (from purely a self-defense standpoint) then when they were originally developed.
As written, anyway. And like the bible, are open to individual interpretation.
Everything just seems more "fluid" these days. Time moves on and things change.
With some "tweaking" the originals are still useful, I think?

I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting! :)
Milt G.

I changed the technique names to fit with the philosophy behind the art and to fit with the "web of knowledge" or probably better titled the "Orchard of Knowledge" extrapolated from the system of techniques in Christian Kempo. I also wanted to continue certain techniques from several different kenpo/kempo origins without offending the parent system (Politics).

I believe that Mr. Parker understood this when writing the Infinate Insight series of books and with this common quote:..."When I am gone I hope people won't try to traditionalize my art. I want you to always remember that kenpo will always be the art of perpetual change. If you remember this, then the art will never become obsolete because it will change with the times. While the ignorant refuse to study and the intelligent never stop, we should always be mindful of the fact that our reward in life is proportionate with the contributions we make. A true martial artist is not one who fears change, but one who causes it to happen. To live is to change, and to obtain perfection is to have changed often" - Mr. Parker

I do believe there is a singular method of Biblical interpretation, but there are certain passages that can be difficult without a basic understanding of hermeneutics and exegesis. I am a big proponent of literal interpretation wherever possible.

With any technique the application can be useful with understanding of the phases of the technique (solid-mechanical, liquid-flowing, gaseous-free form, and Plasma-Fully integrated) I prefer to use the terms Ideal - Even if - Ideal when dealing with the permutations of techniques.

I hope this answered your questions.

Chris

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I changed the technique names to fit with the philosophy behind the art and to fit with the "web of knowledge" or probably better titled the "Orchard of Knowledge" extrapolated from the system of techniques in Christian Kempo. I also wanted to continue certain techniques from several different kenpo/kempo origins without offending the parent system (Politics).

I believe that Mr. Parker understood this when writing the Infinate Insight series of books and with this common quote:..."When I am gone I hope people won't try to traditionalize my art. I want you to always remember that kenpo will always be the art of perpetual change. If you remember this, then the art will never become obsolete because it will change with the times. While the ignorant refuse to study and the intelligent never stop, we should always be mindful of the fact that our reward in life is proportionate with the contributions we make. A true martial artist is not one who fears change, but one who causes it to happen. To live is to change, and to obtain perfection is to have changed often" - Mr. Parker

I do believe there is a singular method of Biblical interpretation, but there are certain passages that can be difficult without a basic understanding of hermeneutics and exegesis. I am a big proponent of literal interpretation wherever possible.

With any technique the application can be useful with understanding of the phases of the technique (solid-mechanical, liquid-flowing, gaseous-free form, and Plasma-Fully integrated) I prefer to use the terms Ideal - Even if - Ideal when dealing with the permutations of techniques.

I hope this answered your questions.

Chris

That does answer my questions, Chris.
Thank you.

I think that many in Kenpo cling too tightly to the individual techniques, and how they relate to the ideal phase.
The technique is only a teaching tool, in my opinion.
The actual purpose of a technique is to teach overall movement, general sequencing, and motion in the practitioner. Not to just teach the technique. :)
Too many think of Kenpo as "just" the techniques, and are too "stiff" in their understanding.

Thanks for sharing.
Keep up the good work.
Milt G.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Chris, I am assuming you are up for some constructive critique.

Obscure Kimono: It appears to be a more realistic push followed by a pull-punch combo. First, I applaud on the more realistic attack. Second, reviewing the video I will have to say it will be likely that you will get hit if you do the block as it is done in the video. Since the pull and punch tend to happen together, and the block is anchored to your body, it is likely that the punch will connect before the body is in position to block. I would prefer to do a block that is not anchored to the body where the block moves ahead of the body rotation. Personally, I would prefer an outward strike, like a handblade or palm-claw. This would also work well as a block if the punch is en route.

Anyways, just a thought.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Zoran,

We strive to influence our Kempo through the contact-resistance method including "realistic" attacks rather than The zombie or traditional karate punches commonly seen.

I watched the video and I can see what you are talking about, in this case I feel as it was an "attacker" error. In this case my student was getting used to being on camera and is also getting used to being an UKE. I take full responsibility and have been recording purple-black material with a more experienced black belt UKE.

Thanks,

Chris

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trinity Karate for Christ – Christian Kempo,
who we are;

Senior Instructor (SIFU) Christopher Stewart
Head Instructor - Advisor (SIGUNG) Clark D. Cole
Junior Instructor - Advisor (SIFU) Jack D. Cole

Siha Katrina Paglinawan
Sihing Albert Hung

We use the Chinese designations on a daily basis, each persons rank is less important than when they joined the family of Kempo.

Our Lineage/s,
American Kenpo - Ed Parker - Pat Salantri – Clark Cole – Chris Stewart
Shaolin Kempo – Nick Cerio – Fred Villarri – Charles Matterra – Greg Jones – Chris Stewart
Christian Kempo – Chris Stewart

What we teach,
54 core basic techniques through 1st black belt.
Short and Long Form.
17 Sets (Organized Basics)

Our prime training method is;

Break Stance and Contact Resistance methods.
Break Stance is motion based ground up Kenpo Karate.
"Hips control feet, feet control hands, elbows aim strikes and knees aim kicks".
Contact Resistance is a hands on method of training that relies on realistic and focused attacks that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your techniques and the basics within them. Hot Hands served here!

If you want to see how I approach Kempo, go to you tube and type in Christian Kempo.

For more information please visit our website: www.trinitykarateforchrist.com

Christian Kempo Taught Here,
Chris Stewart S.I. (Christian Kempo)

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I watched the video and I can see what you are talking about, in this case I feel as it was an "attacker" error. In this case my student was getting used to being on camera and is also getting used to being an UKE. I take full responsibility and have been recording purple-black material with a more experienced black belt UKE.

Very well but a word of caution, "attacker error" should be a part of the equation. Sometimes newer practitioners can be a better measure of what one may encounter than a trained black belt.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am speechless.

Well then, I will mark the day and time on my calendar and am thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate the day. :D

P.S.
Just joking, don't kill me in September. ;)

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chris, why did you choose to use Chinese words like Sifu, Sigung, etc.?

And for those who haven't encountered the "break stance" method, could you go into it a little?

kirks

White Belt
Reaction score
I have basically gutted the skk system or made major modifications to existing techniques....the only one's that remained identifiable are DM#3 and #10.

How many DM's do you use in the system...How about forms?

kirks

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you use any of the cerio named techniques or combinations?

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many DM's do you use in the system...How about forms?

What we teach,
54 core basic techniques through 1st black belt.
Short and Long Form. (Grab, Club, and Knife form in development)
17 Sets (Organized Basics)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two questions for you:

1. What makes this "Christian Kempo"? In other words, other than repackaging the various Kempo systems yourself, what's new about this?
2. How have you actually addressed preparing people for the street with this? How has it been pressure tested or otherwise validated against street violence?

In short, I'm wondering if you haven't created a solution in search of a problem.

Latest Discussions