Dancing people vs. LEOs

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/8jUU3yCy3uI

The LEOs gave appropriate warnings but I think they should have been more clear to these people. When someone asks LEO why they are being arrested, the LEO should have a better response then "You' ll find out." I'm no LEO but was obvious these people were disturbing the peace and the LEO should said that to them.

At 2:43 Leo gies an open hand palm to the face of one of the guys. Glad he did not use a closed fist.
At 3:12, the LEO takes the guy down. Could the LEO have put the guy in a wrist lock instead? Don't get me wrong. The LEO gave him plenty of warning and it got the job done.

At 3:17 was the choke hold needed? Was there another way to for the LEO to restrain the guy?

Overall the LEOs techniques were really good.

I'm no lawyer, but it looks like the arrested people do not have a case.

What do you all think?

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More people thinking they can do whatever they want whenever they want even though they were repeatedly warned by LEO's that there would be arrests.

They got exactly what they asked for.

Clearly they were pushing the limits and went to jail for it. Good for them!

I'd like to see them try to dance at the Tomb of the unknown soldier or cross the boundry line at the Tomb.

My guess.......they wouldn't have the guts to try that.

Mike

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the LEO exhibited a lot of restraint. I did wonder about the apparent choke, but it seemed not to be an actual choke so much as a warning (?). The take down was proper. The person was walking away and resisting. What did he expect? This is a public monument. There were a lot of people there. These people were disobeying the LEO. What did they expect? How many others will decide to disrupt other's right to view the monument in peace with some amount of decorum?

This needs to be remembered; the monument was not designed as a dance emporium. Many tourists as well as local residents like to visit that and other memorials. Most do so acting with respect to the memorialised person, and to other visitors. Those who choose to do otherwise have to expect consequences. A person shouting how he thinks things should be doesn't make it law. Foolish people in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and may differ with my thoughts of course.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dancers where given a warning to stop what they where doing. From what I was able to see on the video some seemed to be intent on purposely disobeying that order and trying to provoke the officer by starting to dance in front of him/them after the order was given.
I think the officers used restraint in pursuant of the duty.
Not sure what law they broke other than disobaying an officer.
I do agree that memorials are the correct place to hold such events

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From what I read in another article, it's illegal to dance at the memorials. I can't remember if its the whole Mall, or just the Jefferson memorial. This was clearly an inappropriate protest designed to get the participants arrested. Yes, the American people have the right to protest. Yes, I find the law to be silly (how do you define dancing? If I hear music, and skip a little while walking along, is that dancing?)

A police officer doesn't have to tell you why you're being arrested.

Rick

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's another angle.

http://youtu.be/Cz7ynkairDM

I got the feeling that these people wanted to cause something with the LEOs. And after reading about it is clear that they wanted to create a scene.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ferson-memorial/2011/05/31/AGzAwPFH_blog.html

I think the LEO exhibited a lot of restraint. I did wonder about the apparent choke, but it seemed not to be an actual choke so much as a warning (?). The take down was proper. The person was walking away and resisting. What did he expect? This is a public monument. There were a lot of people there. These people were disobeying the LEO. What did they expect? How many others will decide to disrupt other's right to view the monument in peace with some amount of decorum?

This needs to be remembered; the monument was not designed as a dance emporium. Many tourists as well as local residents like to visit that and other memorials. Most do so acting with respect to the memorialised person, and to other visitors. Those who choose to do otherwise have to expect consequences. A person shouting how he thinks things should be doesn't make it law. Foolish people in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and may differ with my thoughts of course.

No argument here. I want to make it clear that the LEOs did their job in a very professional manner. The use of force was not excessive in anyway. What I am just wondering were there any techniques the LEO could have used? Would a come along technique work in this situation? Even though the take down was proper and justified, these people are already twisting this around. A wrist lock is painful but not as dramatic looking.

A police officer doesn't have to tell you why you're being arrested.

Rick

True. But in this case, if the LEO had just stated that they were disturbing and telling them what rules they were in violation of, it would be on record that the LEO gave them a very specific warning. Then they can't complain about not knowing rules they broke.

These people have the right to express themselves and they are free to protest as much as they want. However, the LEOs duty is to keep the peace and these people were breaking the rules.

These people wanted to make a scene, which is what they got. However, they shouldn't expect any sympathy. They were breaking the rules, they did not comply with LEOs directions and they were detained.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regardless of anything else, I am amazed that a Police Officer in the States does not have to tell you why you are being arrested. That's insane in a supposedly free country.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will be told why you are being arrested when you are charged. Having probable cause is having probable cause.

I typically tell people why they are being arrested but sometimes that is just a game where they then want to debate law with you..."I DID NOT!!" or they just keep asking you over and over again. "WHY AM I BEING ARRESTED? WHY AM I BEING ARRESTED? WHY AM I BEING ARRESTED?" no matter what you tell them. It's just a stall tactic while they work out what they are going to do (co-operate, fight, run, shoot, etc.). Sometimes it's necessary to arrest first and talk later.

Last edited:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both sides did exactly right.

The LEOs needed to enforce the law/their directives. They gave repeated, professional warnings and performed the arrest without getting amped and resorting to unnecessary force.

The kids wanted to engage in a protest, push the line and see if they can get the line moved in legal action or the court of public opinion. They pushed the line with a minimum of in-your-face disrespect and did a fair job of keeping the arrest itself drama-free.

I don't see a problem here...though I feel for the LEOs. Tough scenario to walk home from feeling proud of your job. "Hey, honey...guess what I did today."

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of anything else, I am amazed that a Police Officer in the States does not have to tell you why you are being arrested. That's insane in a supposedly free country.

We live in a Police State.

Now for the record, the LEOs were doing there job.

But that doesn't mean it was right.

In all of my training I have been taught to use the least force necessary...I highly doubt a body slam meets that criteria.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a situation like this I am generally on the side of the LEO's. This isn't any different, it seems to me to be a textbook protest that was handled well by both sides when it did cross the line.

However, whichever idiot is claiming "police brutality" needs a few more chokes put on him.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, they pushed at the cops as far as not fallowing their directions. that said, a choke is Deadly force!! I think they used excessive force in a few places.

That does not mean they went berserk and beat them with batons or anything, but I would say the body slam and choke for instance was excessive force.

I do have a problem feeling very sorry for most of the protesters, but I think that any LEO must be held to a much higher standard then the average civilian as to use of force.

I know in my state the police tell you either they ' have a warrant for your arrest', or that they are arresting you for this or that charge... at least I have never seen or heard of a cop where I live not telling them they are under arrest for DUI, or Possession of ... or what ever the crime was.
Not that the DA could not change the charge, just that that was what was going on the original booking slip.

Latest Discussions