Who has tried P90X?

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who has actually tried it.

I would really like to take my fitness to the next level, and I have heard a lot of good things about this "routine".

My favorite part about it is that it only lasts 90 days, and you can literally count down the days till your done with it.

So...your thoughts?

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have not personally, but my instructor has. He keeps telling me I should do it. The only thing he said is that he enjoyed the DVDs, but didn't get much value from the extended parts of the set (nutrition guide, resistance bands.)

The real key is having the extra hour a day for three months.

Rick

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have it and I really like it a lot. I don't use the nutrition guide (Weight Watchers instead) and I like weights better than the resistance band. It really is a good workout and I like how they show modified versions of many of the moves in case you have knee problems or can't do the more intense versions yet. Be especially careful to not eat anytime soon before doing Plyometrics otherwise you might throw up. The only downside is that the workouts can take at least an hour and the yoga dvd is 90 minutes long. I've never made it all the way through the 90 days yet. :( Unfortunately, I do really well the first month and then I get sick for a week (not from P90X) or get extra busy and get out of the loop of doing the workouts. Even after the first month, I could tell a difference that I was getting stronger, more flexible, and my stomach more toned from the Ab Ripper. I'm hoping to start it again from the beginning soon.

This is a good thread to check out http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61595&highlight=P90X

By the way, I paid the full price for P90X from the shopping channel, but I discovered that you can often get P90X cheaper on craigslist.org from people selling their set. Many people get things like this for Christmas or gifts and never end up doing it so they sell it.

Robyn

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've personally never tried the P90X workouts, but I have friends that do that workout and swear by it.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never tried P90X, but I used P90 and it was awesome. I lost a ton of weight, put on a bunch of muscle, and got in the best shape of my life. I started with just the basic program and no diet changes, and ended with the advanced program and major diet restrictions, but it all came on naturally. At the time, it was easy. The more weight I lost, the less I wanted to eat two pounds of chinese food at a time.

I've talked to a lot of people who've tried P90X and they've all loved it. I really don't think you can go wrong with his stuff. But it will all come down to you. You have to be consistent. You have to do the workouts and push yourself and make the right choices at meal times. But as far as the quality of the program, I really don't think you could find better.

-Rob

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only draw back I had been seeing is that it takes a dedicated hour a day to do, six days a week. I work out now, but only on my lunch break/breaks at work. We have a fitness center in our offices and I hit th eliptical or weight sets.

I have already started to see a change in just doing that, but I am looking for something a little more drastic.

Do you guys know if you HAVE to do the diet restrictions and just do the excercise aspects and still get a good turn out...I am already on a diet with 1580 Calories a day, (More if I work out)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience with P90X is limited. A old training buddy of mine got it as a present and I stumbled my way through a couple of the workouts when visiting. I liked what I saw and wouldn't mind having a set of my own :)

I don't buy their marketing or their gobbledygook about "muscle confusion". I need to lose weight and that's done by burning more calories than one takes in. I see the P90X as a good way to do the burn more calories part.

My friend who owns the video has seen great results. I don't know if he is doing the whole program or what, but I'd guess that he's down about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, and still going strong. I don't know the details of the diet program ... I don't know if my friend follows it, I doubt he does (he is on a very specific diet due to health issues and food allergies).

Don't know if that helps, but all the best to you! Now you've got me thinking about it :D

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm a big believer in "muscle confusion." General Adaptation Syndrome as it relates to physical fitness teaches us that the body will adapt to a physical stressor over time, and that eventually that same physical stressor no longer has an effect on energy output. In order to get the most from your PT, you want to vary your exercises regularly so that the body doesn't get a chance to fully adapt to the new energy requirements your putting on it. Instead, it will continue to operate at a sub-optimal level, overusing energy to respond to those demands and maximizing the effect you get from your training.

Think of your pushups and situps. If you do twenty, every day, your body will gradually adjust to that stress level and learn to do those twenty pushups in the most energy efficient way possible, which means the fewest calories burned. If instead, you vary the number and intensity of those pushups, or maybe the style of pushups (offset, wide grip, knuckle), then your body will be constantly adjusting to changing energy requirements and will burn more calories over time.

At least that's the theory.

-Rob

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
My experience with P90X is limited. A old training buddy of mine got it as a present and I stumbled my way through a couple of the workouts when visiting. I liked what I saw and wouldn't mind having a set of my own :)

I don't buy their marketing or their gobbledygook about "muscle confusion". I need to lose weight and that's done by burning more calories than one takes in. I see the P90X as a good way to do the burn more calories part.

My friend who owns the video has seen great results. I don't know if he is doing the whole program or what, but I'd guess that he's down about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, and still going strong. I don't know the details of the diet program ... I don't know if my friend follows it, I doubt he does (he is on a very specific diet due to health issues and food allergies).

Don't know if that helps, but all the best to you! Now you've got me thinking about it :D

I have diet restrictions too..being that I am lactose intolorent and all..American food sometimes is hard for me to eat...(Hence the reason Sushi is my favorite food)

30lbs grats to your friend...I don't know how i would feel about spending all the money on the DVDs and not do the WHOLE deal too...does anyone know if the diet can be changed up for those of us with food allergies?

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Never did it personally, but have seen some of it. It seems like a pretty solid workout program. As stated above, the hardest part for me is finding that solid hour and discipline to do it daily at home.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has actually tried it.

I would really like to take my fitness to the next level, and I have heard a lot of good things about this "routine".

My favorite part about it is that it only lasts 90 days, and you can literally count down the days till your done with it.

So...your thoughts?

P90X will deliver what it promises provide you maintain a good diet. If the diet is in order, you will increase your overall strength, flexibility and endurance. It is centered around some very good ole fashioned body weight compound movements like the push up and pull up.

It is an advanced routine.

I've also mentioned a routine called the Pyramid. I've posted this before but I'll repost it here for your consideration;

All of the above are excellent because they are compound movements that bring a lot of muscle mass into use. This has several advantages; builds strength while conditioning the muscle, burns more calories thus helping to reduce your BF %, being functional from the standpoint of using the body as one whole unit rather than 'parts'. Other great exercises would be:
  • Squats (such as hindu squats or plea squats).
  • Lunges (which often is a truer measure of lower body strength and balance).
  • Push ups (hindu, dive-bomber, wide, narrow, sphinx etc).
  • Dips.
  • Thrusters (doing a squat and a press in one continuous motion).
  • Dynamic tension.
All the above can be done in a very small space and with only body weight. For those wishing to go 'above and beyond' I suggest the pyramid.

What is a pyramid? Glad you asked ;)

Simply pick several exercises. My latest pyramid routine used the following, in this order;
  • Regular squat
  • Plea squat
  • Lunge
  • Calf raise
  • Push up w/push up stands
  • Chin up
  • Dip
  • Hanging crunch
Now what you do is perform 1 of each exercise with good form. When you have completed each for 1 rep, you repeat and do 2 of each, and then 3 of each and on up to your target number. Once you've reached your target, you then begin down the pyramid by decreasing the number of reps in each set. A pyramid of 1 - 5 - 1 would look like this;

1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 for a total of 25 of each exercise. Going 1-10-1 would = 100. 1-20-1 would equal 400 of each. My personal best so far is 1-17-1.

This is a great program as it has built in a natural warm up and a cool down. You work throughout various rep ranges and it has a pre-exhaust as well.

Give it a try.

When you get up around 1-15-1 or so your kidney will probably try to squirt out your left ear. Don't be alarmed as this is natural ;)

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have completed P90X and Insanity. I do like the exercises in both workouts. I like Insanity more cause it deals more with plyometrics more. Only drawbacks on both, is that the workouts are too long. P90X is about an hour to an hour and a half depending which workout you are doing. Also, they go sloooow, which actually puts me to sleep. Insanity was more up my alley but took about 40-45 minutes. Still, too long. Now, I am now a CrossFit trainee where the workouts are constantly varied with functional movements that are performed at a high intensity level. These workouts do not take more than 30 minutes and they do knock you on your butt! I recommend CrossFit!

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just thought that I would add in here that I just started the program today. the first video is core synergetics and it kicked my butt pretty well. I felt great after but a few hours later and I'm starting to feel it. So far it seems like a good program for those who want to work out at home.

Guvnor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
P90X is very good. I would also try CrossFit. Perfect for fighting fitness.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have done P90X. It's awesome. I personally did not like the kenpo-x workout (a lot of the typical, bad cardio kickboxing style techniques and poor instruction), but the other workouts are fantastic. We really love the Core Synergistics workout!

If you're thinking of doing P90X, then now is a great time! There are 5 bonus workouts (P90X Plus) that you can buy to add on after you finish your first round through. Also, the second version of P90X, P90X MC2, will be coming out later this year (November I think). Though we're starting Crossfit and Krav Maga right now, I may have to buy P90X MC2 when it comes out.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, I have kind of put P90X on hold for right now...I might, like ask for it for Christmas...it being Summer time right now, there are just so many things I can be doing for fitness.

Swimming, Hiking, Biking, Running, Probono Self Defense Classes.

I just don't have time to dedicate to "indoor" time as I would in the winter.

I am still very intrested in getting it done though.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, ya, one of the only real downfalls to P90X is that you end up spending a lot of time indoors working out to the DVDs. I love getting out and biking and hiking myself (we just spent $5k on two new mountain bikes!). And the time commitment is intense. You have to give an hour to two each day for six days a week for the program. However, if you did get into it, after your first few times through the workouts, you can just take the manual with you outside and do a P90X workout outdoors as well. And, I have to admit, there were times where we added stuff to the workouts or made small manipulations just to keep some variety.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, ya, one of the only real downfalls to P90X is that you end up spending a lot of time indoors working out to the DVDs. I love getting out and biking and hiking myself (we just spent $5k on two new mountain bikes!). And the time commitment is intense. You have to give an hour to two each day for six days a week for the program. However, if you did get into it, after your first few times through the workouts, you can just take the manual with you outside and do a P90X workout outdoors as well. And, I have to admit, there were times where we added stuff to the workouts or made small manipulations just to keep some variety.

yeah man, the heat sometimes gets to be to much for working out for real outside...thats what swimming and the like are for...gotta take all of that in stride.

But yeah my origional fitness test from my under belts is so similer to P90X its crazy...might just pick that back up.

Latest Discussions