Dan Curriculuum

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Curriculum is set to 3rd Dan. Above 3rd Dan is not tested for but awarded.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our curriculum for 2. and 3. Dan contains nothing new except more kata (three each). Tough you will of course be expected to improve all you have learned before as well.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Explorer said:
Does your system or school have a curiculuum for the Dan ranks? Everybody has a curriculuum for the kyu ranks ... but many have little direction for advanced students beyond time in rank and classes attended.

I wonder if this is why the dropout rate at 1st Dan seems so high.

In the Wado section of our Dojo, the shodan requirements is simple.

Reiho
Ten Chi Jin no Ri principles (written exam, very easy)
Kihon no Tsuki, Keri, Uchi, Uke.
Kata Pinan Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, Godan, Kusanku, Naihanchi, Seishan, Chinto, plus one Kata chosen by the testee.
Kumite: Yakusoku Kumite, Jiyu Ippon Kumite
Jujutsu Kata: Idori 1-10, Fujin Goshinjutsu 1-10, Gyakunage 1-10, Tantodori 1-10.

For Shodan, you are allowed failure up to 25% of the material.

For Nidan, no failure is allowed.

BTW, I am at lowest brown belt level for about several years now. Never made it to Shodan..yet. I know most of the material but never tested for it. My attendance are poor, and I haven't been training for 3 months now :(

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does your system or school have a curiculuum for the Dan ranks? Everybody has a curriculuum for the kyu ranks ... but many have little direction for advanced students beyond time in rank and classes attended.

I wonder if this is why the dropout rate at 1st Dan seems so high.

No not really, as all the empty hand kata are part of the testing for shodan ho.

so basicly you go back to the begaining and start over. we teach kobujitsu as part of the system and dan ranks often are learning the weapons kata that they have not learned before shodan ho. but, kyu ranks also learn weapons so depending on what you learned before changes what you may be getting given new at dan level. you are expected to assist in teaching and other dutys from brown belt on.

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't find Dan learning a fixed goal, instead work to engage the Dan student in the larger range of studies that their Kyu trianing prepared them to enter.

The first step is a 6 month course on a partial understanding of the use of Seisan' Kata's opening section, as an answer for every sort of attack possible. Not just the way to use the movements but a study of the underlying principles behind those choices, and working from basic attacks to higher level attack counters.

At that point the fun begins. Our average minimum time an adult Dan trains with us over the past 23 years is about 16 years. The senior Dan's have been in the program the entire time.

As individual learning potential is the rule, the method of advancement is controlled by each Dan's focus and efforts.

There are a number of components to our Dan studies.

1. The study of application potential of our Kata. One of my instructors shared 800 ways to use our 8 Isshinryu kata, and that is only one answer. The focus is never on numbers, but how to take the underlying principles and learn how they work with any technique. The study is individualized into each Dan's core choices for rational self defense, and as their studies progress they add new material to their core and deduct material at the same time to keep their studies fresh.

2. The study of Kobudo Isshinryu Bo, Sai, Tonfa, Bando Staff and Stick, a private Family tradition of kama and knife (the last two only for the seniors). On the whole the use is not for weapons for self defense, but rather learning how the weapons skills add additional oomph into the empty hand utilization of karate technique. This is a decades long training program first aquire skill, then to develop power and speed with that skill, and then to learn how to shift that into kata application study.

3. A very focused study of kata from outside systems. These forms are from Shorin, Shotokan, Tomari, Goju, Ching Wu, Tai Tong Long, Ying Jow Pai, Sil Lum and Pai Lum systems. Not for their application potential, but to use as a technique base to defend against. These kata also work a different range than our core Isshinryu and in turn make the Dan's abilities somewhat different from many assume Isshinryu might use.

4. Additional focused studies from aikido, siliat and tai chi chaun. These include various force multipliers for advanced practice (ie. energy point alignment or the knee release in practice).

5. A few individuals will undergo separate apprenticeship training to become an instructor, in addition to their other stuides the first requirement is 15 continious years training with the same instructors. This is an entirely different track of study. No one who hasn't followed that track will be an instructor.

6. Upon acquisition of some knowledge and skill, the Dan might enter the ongoing research study behind our arts potential.

While there are some signposts (Dan Grades) along the way they are a composite of various factors of the indvidiuals training. As a group they never refer to dan grades and only prefer to train.

If the Dan is engaged in the fuller study of their art, they will find a way to keep training. The only mitigating factors have been individuals who have moved away because of working needs, or those in their 60's who personally feel they have reached an age where other interests beckon..

The entire purpose of a Kyu program ought to be to prepare indivduals to begin training for life as a Dan.

Of course young persons training is to prepare them to move out and on with their lives, their own life far more interesting than keeping training in their home town.

For the adult, the reasons become different.

pleasantly,

victor smith
bushi no te isshinryu

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our organization has objective requirements through 9th dan. We don't award 10th dan.

In terms of curriculum, we have very few specific requirements, rather encouraging personal exploration. It's more of a 1 from column A and 2 from column B kind of approach.

The columns include kata, technique, cross training, education, healing and personal exploration, as well as time in rank.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course our dan ranked people like sensei himself all continue to train and work on technique and principles and bunkai for the kata in the system, as well as weapons. but there is not a set of curiculam like there is for the kyu ranks.

I don't find Dan learning a fixed goal, instead work to engage the Dan student in the larger range of studies that their Kyu trianing prepared them to enter.

The first step is a 6 month course on a partial understanding of the use of Seisan' Kata's opening section, as an answer for every sort of attack possible. Not just the way to use the movements but a study of the underlying principles behind those choices, and working from basic attacks to higher level attack counters.

At that point the fun begins. Our average minimum time an adult Dan trains with us over the past 23 years is about 16 years. The senior Dan's have been in the program the entire time.

As individual learning potential is the rule, the method of advancement is controlled by each Dan's focus and efforts.

There are a number of components to our Dan studies.

1. The study of application potential of our Kata. One of my instructors shared 800 ways to use our 8 Isshinryu kata, and that is only one answer. The focus is never on numbers, but how to take the underlying principles and learn how they work with any technique. The study is individualized into each Dan's core choices for rational self defense, and as their studies progress they add new material to their core and deduct material at the same time to keep their studies fresh.

2. The study of Kobudo Isshinryu Bo, Sai, Tonfa, Bando Staff and Stick, a private Family tradition of kama and knife (the last two only for the seniors). On the whole the use is not for weapons for self defense, but rather learning how the weapons skills add additional oomph into the empty hand utilization of karate technique. This is a decades long training program first aquire skill, then to develop power and speed with that skill, and then to learn how to shift that into kata application study.

3. A very focused study of kata from outside systems. These forms are from Shorin, Shotokan, Tomari, Goju, Ching Wu, Tai Tong Long, Ying Jow Pai, Sil Lum and Pai Lum systems. Not for their application potential, but to use as a technique base to defend against. These kata also work a different range than our core Isshinryu and in turn make the Dan's abilities somewhat different from many assume Isshinryu might use.

4. Additional focused studies from aikido, siliat and tai chi chaun. These include various force multipliers for advanced practice (ie. energy point alignment or the knee release in practice).

5. A few individuals will undergo separate apprenticeship training to become an instructor, in addition to their other stuides the first requirement is 15 continious years training with the same instructors. This is an entirely different track of study. No one who hasn't followed that track will be an instructor.

6. Upon acquisition of some knowledge and skill, the Dan might enter the ongoing research study behind our arts potential.

While there are some signposts (Dan Grades) along the way they are a composite of various factors of the indvidiuals training. As a group they never refer to dan grades and only prefer to train.

If the Dan is engaged in the fuller study of their art, they will find a way to keep training. The only mitigating factors have been individuals who have moved away because of working needs, or those in their 60's who personally feel they have reached an age where other interests beckon..

The entire purpose of a Kyu program ought to be to prepare indivduals to begin training for life as a Dan.

Of course young persons training is to prepare them to move out and on with their lives, their own life far more interesting than keeping training in their home town.

For the adult, the reasons become different.

pleasantly,

victor smith
bushi no te isshinryu

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cut directly from our manual. No real set curriculum, but a guide for future training. These requirements are on top of time in grade requirements.

Requirements for Promotion Past Shodan

Once a student is promoted to Shodan, it is the equivalent of a High School diploma within the martial arts. It is after a student earns their black belt that their training in the martial arts is said to truly begin. Martial education after Shodan is similar to college courses in that more of the requirements for promotion are directly affected by the student’s studies outside of the dojo as well as the continued practice and improvement.

In addition to minimum time-in-rank requirements for promotion beyond Shodan, the following requirements also apply:

Minimum Credits Required for Nidan 215 Credits
Sandan 250 Credits
Yondan 300 Credits

Teaching Credits
10 Hours of Teaching
Assistant Instructor 5 Credits
Primary Instructor 10 Credits
Outside Martial Art Training
Another Style of Karate
Intermediate Rank (Blue-Purple) 5 Credits
Advanced Rank (Brown) 10 Credits
Shodan or Higher 15 Credits
Another Percussive Art (TKD, Kenpo, etc)
Intermediate Rank 10 Credits
Advanced Rank 15 Credits
Shodan or Higher 20 Credits
A completely different Art (Kung Fu, Jujutsu, etc)
Intermediate Rank 20 Credits
Advanced Rank 25 Credits
Shodan or Higher 30 Credits
Tournament Involvement
Competing
One Division 1 Credit
Judging
One Division 5 Credits
CPR or First Aid Training
Certification 5 Credits
Instructor Certification 10 Credits
Independent Research
Book Report (From Reading List) 5-10 Credits
Research Paper (Approved Topic) 5 -15 Credits
Article Publication (Black Belt, etc) 25 Credits
In-depth Bunkai Presentation 5 Credits
Other Approved Project 5-25 Credits
Each new approved Kata 15 Credits
Seminar Participation
In-School 5 Credits
Out of School 10 Credits
Giving a Seminar or Demonstration 15 Credits
Weapon Training
Demonstrate Weapon Proficiency
Each New Weapon 10 Credits
Each New Kata, Old Weapon 5 Credits
Community Contribution
Significant Service, Contributions, etc 5-50 Credits
Military Service 5 Credits/year (only since last promotion)
Each of the credit levels start new after promotion (i.e. you need 215 credits for nidan and an additional 250 for sandan).

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cut directly from our manual. No real set curriculum, but a guide for future training. These requirements are on top of time in grade requirements.

Each of the credit levels start new after promotion (i.e. you need 215 credits for nidan and an additional 250 for sandan).

what the hell constitutes a credit though?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what the hell constitutes a credit though?

The credit system is similar to the college credit system. Each of the listed activities is worth a certain amount of "promotion points" or credits toward black belt education and development.

The system is designed to reward those who go above and beyond in their martial path as opposed to those who just show up for practice and try to maintain status quo.

In theory, a shodan who only shows up and takes class for two years, does no outside study (academic or physical) and doesn't teach...in other words does nothing to develop themselves...won't get promoted to nidan based soley on his time in grade.

The instructor should maintain a file and keep track of the student's martial studies so that the teacher can guide his protoge's while allowing for initiative and personal growth.

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Hoshinjutsu, Dr. Morris based part of his shodan rankings on the promotion of the candidate's students. The premise is that to truly know, you should be able to teach. It's up for discussion, but I think it is a very cool concept.

S

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a rather extensive curriculum mapped out thru 6th black right now. I have some ideas for specifics for 7th, but 8th-10th are pretty much universally considered honorary or time-in-grade administrative promotions anywho.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well lets see if i understand, the ranks past second right cause the place i trained at all had strong teaching an Curriculuum for up to second dan.

http://www.shitokai.com/syllabus.php
Maybe this will help some but i don't like how some schools try to pigeon hole your thinking process after second dan. My thoughts is that this is when the student like in Chinese Martial Arts they for the first 10 years are taught many different ideas an ways to approach thing an left to develop their own training practices in the more traditional school of Chinese Martial Art like i attended this is what happened at least.
Maybe i should explain. In Karate to get to the Black Belt it takes 5-6 years in philosophy the little idea(focus on very specific training), in Chinese Martial Arts they spend 10 years to get to the black belt in philosophies called large idea(huge over view of all martial arts). So what i am saying is at this time the student should be allowed to develop things he finds interesting from other style schools an system of thought in my view. What i am saying is that after second dan the student of Karate needs to start expanding his overall understanding. The Chinese system after his 10 years of basic study needs to more specific study like that is done in karate take what he has spent ten years learning to do that need definition. Philosophies is that called big idea/little idea for Chinese Martial Arts and the Karate philosophies is little idea/big idea.

I am not saying that there should be no curriculum just that the student if in it for life at this point needs to learn that in karate they should develop there own method for the next 10 years instead of following someone way.

Excuse, my going of topic. My personal opinion.

Latest Discussions