Cute and Samurai ...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two words that are not often seen in conjunction. However, this little clip is guaranteed to raise a smile, particularly amongst JSA practitioners ...

[yt]qliIAP_OGm4[/yt]

... come on admit it ... we might be oh-so-serious on the outside but who hasn't wanted to celebrate a little on occasion when something difficult goes right? :lol:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and altho I now it's a sentiment that I fully deserve scolding for ... but can I go and train at this school please ... :angel:

[yt]sx6oVKbgv9o[/yt]

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love the little "YES!!" jump and fist pump.
icon7.gif

Mike

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nicely done on her part. I'm especially impressed at how well she maintained her composure and focus until the technique was completed. Not quite as impressed at her turning a little casually with a live blade out like that at the very end, though...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nicely done on her part. I'm especially impressed at how well she maintained her composure and focus until the technique was completed. Not quite as impressed at her turning a little casually with a live blade out like that at the very end, though...

Nobody in the blood circle, is all good. ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed but as Granfire pointed out nobody in her blood circle... but I'm sure her instructor might've mentioned something to her about it.

Very impressive to cut so cleanly enough that she was able to make a second clean cut before the pieces fell to the floor. A very sharp blade indeed and a strong steady stroke.

Yes I thought her little whee at the end was very cute.

Oh and Suke, I want to train at that (other ?) school too.

If I'm not mistaken women in feudal Japan were also Samurai, just not carrying the swords. Though they were undoubtedly armed and likewise trained in the use of the weaponry. So I'm glad to see these women training and learning. It's refreshing and heartening as well.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a Nagamaki, sometimes thought to be related to a Naginata, but closer to a sword, really. The name refers to "long wrapping", as the haft of many were wrapped like a sword handle (tsuka). They were not overly favoured, particularly compared to Naginata themselves, but Oda Nobunaga seemed fond of them.

The name itself, though, does refer to a range of different weapons from different systems, so they aren't all like these ones. The usage here is more like a Naginata, it might be noted, although there isn't any shifting of the hands along the haft (which is still in modern, or Atarashii Naginata, to a more minor degree), which puts them as Nagamaki.

The group is a Japanese Battodo association, I'm not sure of the Ryu (if any) that is being demonstrated in the second clip, but the first clip has a few hallmarks of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, if I'm not mistaken.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ive seen that first one before, little happy dance! she could have at least resheathed the sword before the victory dance, but oh well. I love seeing the last one with the little girl

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a Nagamaki, sometimes thought to be related to a Naginata, but closer to a sword, really. The name refers to "long wrapping", as the haft of many were wrapped like a sword handle (tsuka). They were not overly favoured, particularly compared to Naginata themselves, but Oda Nobunaga seemed fond of them.

The name itself, though, does refer to a range of different weapons from different systems, so they aren't all like these ones. The usage here is more like a Naginata, it might be noted, although there isn't any shifting of the hands along the haft (which is still in modern, or Atarashii Naginata, to a more minor degree), which puts them as Nagamaki.

The group is a Japanese Battodo association, I'm not sure of the Ryu (if any) that is being demonstrated in the second clip, but the first clip has a few hallmarks of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, if I'm not mistaken.

So essentially it's a wakizashi with a long handle? Either way looks very deadly.
Thanks again.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Er, not exactly, no.

A Nagamaki is more like, as you said, along handled sword, whereas a Naginata is more of a true polearm, although dimensionally the Naginata would be closer to a short sword on a long stick (not a Wakizashi, though, as that name refers to a short weapon worn at the side of the body in the obi. Wakizashi literally means "inserted (zashi) at the side (waki)"). A Nagamaki is really a Katana with a tsuka longer than the blade.

Dammit Suke, why'd you have to go and put this in the Locker Room, "a place for non-martial arts talk...", you knew I couldn't help myself here.....

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Sorry mate :D. I was going to place it in the sword arts section but put it in the 'general pool' as it was posted more for the 'cute factor' than the swordsmanship (tho' those two kiriage tamashgiri cuts were impressive I have to say).

Latest Discussions