crosstraining

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My efforts in crosstraining have been a good asset in my formation inside TKD, when I was a child I do a little judo so I have a few judo moves, I take a little aikido so I have a few aikido moves (evasion,wrist control,some take downs) and now doing kenpo my hand techs are a little better, this has pay very good to me.

Last night doing one step sparring I did a lot of more techs that the average students and some of them using take downs, locks, arm bars,etc, so I am not limited to the same tech of blocking the punch and counter.

I teach some of the young fellows a few moves and they got hooked, my sambunim always aske me train self defense moves with the young men cause he knows I can aport some new moves to them.

Definetively crosstraining is a benefit for us to improve our TKD.

Manny

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sadly Manny, you actually shouldn't have to look elsewhere/crosstrain to make your TKD better. Old school, as we like to call it, had everything you are now trying to incorporate. But keep up the good work and perhaps you'll start the transition back to real TKD for your students. :asian:

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sadly Manny, you actually shouldn't have to look elsewhere/crosstrain to make your TKD better. Old school, as we like to call it, had everything you are now trying to incorporate. But keep up the good work and perhaps you'll start the transition back to real TKD for your students. :asian:

Interesting, but I respectfully disagree. This certainly is a personal preference issue, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with cross training.

I trained old school and new school TKD since the late sixties. Old school TKD was definitely more like Karate, and had self defense techniques that included some joint locks, take downs, and chokes and such, but these techniques were limited, in comparison to the amount of block, punch, kick techniques. The hand strikes were more akin to Karate type strikes, and I felt could benefit from Kenpo type flowing combination's, boxing's power strikes and footwork, as well as more advanced trapping skills to augment this area of combat. Old school TKD had virtually NO weapon training. Certainly any higher level training, other than empty hand knife defense. (That is another issue all together).

To state that old school TKD is "real TKD" or it contains all that you want, is of great debate, and subjective. If you want to get away from the more sport oriented TKD of today's schools and return to a more Karate style of TKD from the past is one thing, but to think that it is a complete style and could not benefit from other arts is a completely different animal. And again a very subjective and personal preference issue.

There is a reason that in the 70's and 80's many TKD schools began to offer Hapkido as part of the program. This is still common today. These are not opposing factions, but rather complement each other very well. My question would be, is it OK because these are both Korean arts, and not OK if one goes outside of the Korean arts? Anyway, I do not want to cause any discord and am only offering my personal view, with the utmost respect.

With respect and brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, but I respectfully disagree. This certainly is a personal preference issue, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with cross training.

Never said there was, but as you pointed out, TKD had these aspects in the past, perhaps not as subjective as you may personally have liked, but again that element comes from specific schools/instructors. The main intent was and is that one did not have to go outside of TKD to garner other attributes beside block, kick and punch. When TKD schools started offering separate Hapkido classes it was because they found a new venue for funding, nothing more. Since you also concur that both TKD and HKD have favorable interfacing, this just reinforces the aspect of not having to go searching for something to fill the "gaps". These new found gaps in my estimation have derived from the manifestation of the MMA movement, but that's another thread unto itself.

"I do not want to cause any discord and am only offering my personal view"

No discord envisioned, we are having a discussion and I enjoy reading and respect your position on the subject matter.......:asian:

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have found that learning some Wing Chun moves has helped me a lot with self defence. The TKD that I have been taught has very few blocks and punches and some of the Wing Chun moves fill that gap very nicely.