are you open mind?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am open mind about MA (and some things ouside MA too), I've trying some other MA and this had enriched my TKD to certain degree. I don't own a dojang, I am senior student on the dojang of my sambunim. One day I asked sambunim why not invite once in a while another sensei of judo for example for teaching us some fundamental techs of his/hers art to incorporate to our TKD arsenal but my samboning not liked the idea.

If I had my own dojang I will schedule a class per month were another sensei form another MA (judo,aikido,kenpo,etc.) will come and practicing with us and teach us his/her art. This could be very benefical for me, my students and in reciprocity I will go to the other senseis dojos to teach some TKD.

So the basic question is what do you think of this?

Manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's good at your experience level, but would be confusing for lower colored belts who don't yet have a good foundation in their first art.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's good at your experience level, but would be confusing for lower colored belts who don't yet have a good foundation in their first art.

You are right sir. Right now we are about 15 black belts that can benefit from inviting another ma sensei to show us and teach us some basics from his/hers art, don't you think?

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm actually quite close-minded.

I insist that everyone try hard and I require courtesy be displayed at all times to every person. Those are non-negotiable. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But on a serious note, I actually workout about once every 2-3 months with a group of like-minded martial artists from a variety of styles. We frequently end the night with sparring or rolling with each other on the mats. It's invaluable to me as I've been able to test and refine some of ideas and techniques I study in my own systems. I highly recommend it for instructors and school owners if they have time and if they can find a similar group.

For students, I believe the variety can be too overwhelming. It might be useful to bring in someone regularly to teach your students something complementary to what they study under you, but the guest instructor should be the same person and the same style for continuity.

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like in your other post Manny, I have a feeling you have many great great idea's, AND with you being the Senior student you are probably well loved by the rest of the students...

Again, I have a feeling your master is a little jealous of you and your ideas. Just my opinion.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are there to learn TKD then master that art. You can always go and learn something else later. I can tell you that even at 2nd DAN about to test for 3rd soon I am still learning and correcting techniques that I thought I knew well. Introduce some other art now and all that I have learned will suffer. A karate person does not kick the same way as a TKD person. Nor are the blocks the same. They are similar but not the same. Even the punches are different. And I am only talking gross skills not fine skills. Skills such as transitions and stance dimensions, weight distribution and so on.

You TKD skills will suffer from an introduction of another art. However if you choose to go this route then you will develop something entirely new. Something organic and fresh, a hybrid of sorts. Then someone would see your new art with flavors of each of the other arts. Because you will always choose what feels best for you. You would not be doing TKD and Kenpo lets say, but a blending of the two.

If you want a mix of things then there is always the every growing MMA route. It is exactly what you seem to want. There you will learn how to blend techniques from all arts. Your TKD kick however will no longer look like TKD kicks as your stance will change that. You will still see evidence of TKD in your kicking but it won't be as you see a pure TKD persons kicking style.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had my own dojang I will schedule a class per month were another sensei form another MA (judo,aikido,kenpo,etc.) will come and practicing with us and teach us his/her art. This could be very benefical for me, my students and in reciprocity I will go to the other senseis dojos to teach some TKD.

So the basic question is what do you think of this?

Manny

Once a month is quite ambitious. I have hosted numerous instructors from outside our org. Ju Jitsu, Aikido, Hapkido, Other TKD, PPCT Knife defense, PPCT pressure point and control tactics.

I also had a program where we invited a bunch of schools to participate in a combined workout. Each one was hosted by a different school and taught by 2 instructors not from that school. The class was typicaly divided between color and white belts and each instructor taught one group for half the time and switched.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Introduce some other art now and all that I have learned will suffer. A karate person does not kick the same way as a TKD person. Nor are the blocks the same. They are similar but not the same. Even the punches are different. And I am only talking gross skills not fine skills. Skills such as transitions and stance dimentions, weight distrabution and so on.

You TKD skills will suffer from an introduction of another art. .

This is a definite maybe. Some arts are similar and the difference do not blend well. Other arts are complimentary.

TKD is primarily a striking art. You can learn grappling techniques which will not confuse the striking methodologies. (been doing it since 1971.)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a definite maybe. Some arts are similar and the difference do not blend well. Other arts are complimentary.

TKD is primarily a striking art. You can learn grappling techniques which will not confuse the striking methodologies. (been doing it since 1971.)
Yes you are correct. But you should still have a good foundation in your base art first I believe. At that point you will benefit from the complimentary art. If not then you will only slow your progression in both arts. Again this is my opinion.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. But you should still have a good foundation in your base art first I believe. At that point you will benefit from the complimentary art. If not then you will only slow your progression in both arts. Again this is my opinion.

Good points and I apreciate them, you are absolutely right I will not expose lower rank belts to the interchange with other MA's/senseis, maybe from red belt to above, because this could be confusing.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My opinion on this is to first see if there is another TKD instructor who can meet their needs. For example, I often hear tkd practitioners say that their style lacks hand techs. The truth is though, that tkd has heaps of hand techs but their instructor/school just focuses on kicks for example. In this case I would suggest training with a tkd instructor who not only teaches hand techs but actively encourages them. Basically, I believe that with the exception of some ground work tkd is actually quite well rounded and its usually the fact that its not taught correctly that leads people to thinking they need to out source people of other styles to fill in the blanks.