Cross Training In Multiple Styles

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First off I know this thread has been probably made and over done many times before on this forum.

I have noticed that allot of other threads main point are getting derailed due to cross training discussions and I thought id make a current thread for us to discuss this topic.

So the main discussion topic in this thread will be whats your opinion on cross training?

Do you think cross training in two or more different styles of striking is beneficial?

Do you think cross training in two or more grappling/throwing styles is beneficial?

Do you think cross training in a combination of striking and grappling arts is beneficial?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off I know this thread has been probably made and over done many times before on this forum.

I have noticed that allot of other threads main point are getting derailed due to cross training discussions and I thought id make a current thread for us to discuss this topic.

1) So the main discussion topic in this thread will be whats your opinion on cross training?

2) Do you think cross training in two or more different styles of striking is beneficial?

3) Do you think cross training in two or more grappling/throwing styles is beneficial?

4) Do you think cross training in a combination of striking and grappling arts is beneficial?

1) I think ultimately, it'll depend on the person. Some people will like it, some won't. And that's fine, to each their own. Me personally, I like it, I do it, and I encourage it. There is a lot of things that're covered in the various arts. For me, there are some things that I want to look at more in-depth, thus the reason I cross train.

2&3) I'm going to lump these together, as they're the same question, just different things. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but again, to each their own. Now, I might borrow ideas from various striking/grappling arts, but actively doing Judo, BJJ, and JJJ....no, I probably wouldn't do that.

4) Yes, very much so! For me, it just rounds out my training and expands my knowledge in various areas.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

So the main discussion topic in this thread will be whats your opinion on cross training?

Do you think cross training in two or more different styles of striking is beneficial?

Do you think cross training in two or more grappling/throwing styles is beneficial?

Do you think cross training in a combination of striking and grappling arts is beneficial?

Two or more styles can be beneficial.

I would train in only one striking art.

I would train in only one grappling art.

A combination of striking and grappling would be VERY beneficial.

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cross training is the reason why so many styles exist today. If the masters didn't try and learn from one another the martial ats would be stagnant and outdated.

Chinese kempo (my main art) is a decendent of Kajukenbo, Godin's Kempo Karate and Thomas Young's Kempo-jujitsu. So It's already a very well rounded system in the area of striking and grappling. Grandmaster Buell allows his students to add whatever they think makes the system better or evolve with the times. My school has added Krav Maga and Muay Thai to the techniques. When I'm not in the Dojo I train with a Bjj black belt that also does wreslting and judo. And I plan on taking some Tang Soo Do on the weekends.

Always somehing new to learn.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

To each his own

Maybe, depends on the person and the styles

Maybe, depends on the person and the styles

Depends on the student and the teacher

I have said for many years that if someone trains Wing Chun and Judo (or Shuaijiao) you have a well-rounded martial artist, but.....

It is not necessary....

If you are training a style, with a good teacher that knows that style well, and you are not in a hurry and have the patients to spend the time training that style you will become a well-rounded martial artist as well. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I went to a seminar given by Fumio Demura. I was actually talked into it because I had little use for Karate. Fumio Demura changed my mind completely, especially after he threw someone in the floor to demo the move we were to work on.

Cross training can be good and it can be fun but if you have the right teacher and the patients to train you don't need it

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The long fist system is my foundation. I cross train the:

- praying mantis system and Zimen system for it's speed generation.
- Baji system and XingYi system for it's power generation.

Do I need to train both praying mantis system and Zimen system, or Baji system and XingYi system? I don't think I need to. I just did to see the different approaches.

After I have learned the Chinese wrestling system, I don't see any need to cross train either Judo or western wrestling.

Yes! This is a MUST. If your striking art teacher doesn't know the grappling art, or your grappling art teacher doesn't know the striking art, you may still have problem. You then have to do the "integration" job all by yourself.

Last edited:
OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'lll finally comment on my own thread now.

I'm for cross training in multiple styles as long as you have a solid foundation in at least 1 style preferably 1 striking & 1 grappling style.

In my own personal training I have my Choy Li Fut as my stand up foundation and my Brazilian Ju Jitsu as my grappling foundation.

For the stand up arts I have chosen to cross train in Wing Chun, Bagua & Yang Tai Chi.

For the grappling & throwing arts I've chosen Judo & Shoot Fighting to cross train in.

I find that Wing Chun adds some nice in close fighting apps, concepts and traps to my Choy Li Fut stand up.

The bagua has helped me with being more continuos and evasive with my foot work that allows me to recover from a bad or awkward position.

Bagua has also helped me with my judo because of its odd foot work and spiraling helps set up & execute throws. Not to mention that Bagua is also loaded with its own unique throws and locks as well.

Tai chi also has helped me gain a better sensitivity where I can feel subtle wait shifts in my BJJ and also how to yield and off balance better in my judo.

Judo has helped my stand up game dramatically because it gives me allot of opportunities to throw an opponent in sparring. This is especially helpful when I encounter some one that is better at striking or just prefers the in close striking range that I don't prefer.

Shoot fighting was my first style of grappling and it did add some nice takedowns and taught me my basics of ground fighting and how to maintain dominant position on the ground.

The Brazilian Ju Jitsu is the ground art I prefer since it has a very advanced bottom game that allows one to reverse or recover from a bad position.

The only reason I have cross trained in all of these arts is because I originally started off with the Shoot Fighting then I hurt my back quit it and started taking the CLF & Yang Tai Chi after my back was healed up.

During my CLF/YTCC training I had to take some physical ed credit at my community college so I chose the judo course. This is where I met a WC practitioner, a bagua practitioner and my BJJ instructor that I of course took the opportunity to cross train with.

Since I relocated to a different state I have found a WC training Partner again and the most legitimate affordable school is one that teaches Judo, BJJ, & Aikido that I will be attending pretty soon.

I will say I feel that my Choy Li Fut and BJJ combo would be all that I needed to become a proficient martial artist on both stand up and grappling but I have found that all the styles I have chosen to take have been beneficial to my personal training in one way or another.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if a person is training for the short run, say ten years or so (or put in your own number) it might be better to stick to one style. Bruce Lee, Joe Lewis and Mas Oyama all said that "it takes ten years to learn how to fight". I always thought that sounded reasonable. (And, YES, I know you can be successful quicker than that)

I think if a person is training for the long run, a person should learn from as many good sources as possible. Besides, it's so much fun.