Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome back, Ybot. :)

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick question about this choke hold, the camera angle does not show the side of your opponents hand that tapped, what is protecting your left side ribs, whilst you are applying the choke, from your opponents right fist, I could not see if you trapped the arm, until the choke was on, or your opponents right arm is free throughout the technique.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick question about this choke hold, the camera angle does not show the side of your opponents hand that tapped, what is protecting your left side ribs, whilst you are applying the choke, from your opponents right fist, I could not see if you trapped the arm, until the choke was on, or your opponents right arm is free throughout the technique.
It's jiu jitsu

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you. I am planning on making more videos. Is there any technique or position you think people would want to see done in a similar style?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll watch and learn from anything you want to post. I'd love to see anything from the mount.

But in particular what I would like to see - is anything from when you have somebody in closed guard. I love closed guard.
There's a collar choke I learned from closed guard a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it anywhere and never knew it's proper name.....or if it even has one. It's where you make them post, then trap one of their arms and grab the opposite collar. Then with your other arm grab the collar by the back of their neck and slip your arm over their head to the other side of their neck.

I love that choke, always have. Do you know which one I'm talking about? If so, can you post it?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll watch and learn from anything you want to post. I'd love to see anything from the mount.

But in particular what I would like to see - is anything from when you have somebody in closed guard. I love closed guard.
There's a collar choke I learned from closed guard a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it anywhere and never knew it's proper name.....or if it even has one. It's where you make them post, then trap one of their arms and grab the opposite collar. Then with your other arm grab the collar by the back of their neck and slip your arm over their head to the other side of their neck.

I love that choke, always have. Do you know which one I'm talking about? If so, can you post it?
Sounds like the hold commonly known as the baseball bat grip, right hand knuckles under the collar, left hand knuckles out side of collar, pull the shirt tight, keep arms straight, make the elbows meet for air choke, or keep arms straight, turm 180 degrees for blood choke?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like the hold commonly known as the baseball bat grip, right hand knuckles under the collar, left hand knuckles out side of collar, pull the shirt tight, keep arms straight, make the elbows meet for air choke, or keep arms straight, turm 180 degrees for blood choke?

Sort of, yeah. It's a baseball choke, but it's done from the bottom when you have someone in your closed guard. And you wrap one of their arms. I need that arm wrapped because we strike when we grapple as that was what was taught to us by the first jits guys we ever worked with back in pre UFC days.

Been thankful for them ever since. I just can't find that damn choke anywhere. Or if it actually has a name.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying Jiu jitsu folk don't protect thre liver?
I think what he means is that the position itself protects the liver. Sure the guy on the bottom can reach up and touch the guys ribs and liver... but he can't generate any power in those strikes. They would be arm punches only... it would be very hard to even engage much of the shoulder. Would they be annoying? Sure. Would they do much damage? I doubt it. The guy on the bottom would most likely learn how annoying those punches really were through the gentleness (or lack thereof) of the applied choke.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a hold used in Hapkido and Aikido, where you draw the arm across the throat, and use the legs to pull them in to from the triangle to induce a blood hold, but the arms are free when the choke is applied.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what he means is that the position itself protects the liver. Sure the guy on the bottom can reach up and touch the guys ribs and liver... but he can't generate any power in those strikes. They would be arm punches only... it would be very hard to even engage much of the shoulder. Would they be annoying? Sure. Would they do much damage? I doubt it. The guy on the bottom would most likely learn how annoying those punches really were through the gentleness (or lack thereof) of the applied choke.

IMHO, when the tap comes, the tap is to the rear of the ribs, I believe this is enough space to attack the liver or lower ribs.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, when the tap comes, the tap is to the rear of the ribs, I believe this is enough space to attack the liver or lower ribs.
If they have a knife or other type of weapon... then that would be an issue. If it is strictly hand to hand, then all it would amount to, would be a more annoying tap with a fist than with a hand.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I'm saying bjj doesn't have any striking so there's no need to worry about that

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it was the left hand side, I would agree, but not the right hand side, I would rather take a full on smack to the solar plex, rather than a good strike to the liver, a knuckle strike or a phoenix eye punch to the liver can be delivered, from a very short distance, even a palm strike to the liver is crippling, and with a tap to the rear of the ribs, leaves the kidneys open to a hammer fist.all hurt, and all are game enders, all can be acheived from short distance.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I'm saying bjj doesn't have any striking so there's no need to worry about that
Sport BJJ competition doesn’t include strikes. BJJ the martial art does include both using and defending against strikes. (Strikes are primarily used to set up grappling, but they do exist in the art.)

If it was the left hand side, I would agree, but not the right hand side, I would rather take a full on smack to the solar plex, rather than a good strike to the liver, a knuckle strike or a phoenix eye punch to the liver can be delivered, from a very short distance, even a palm strike to the liver is crippling, and with a tap to the rear of the ribs, leaves the kidneys open to a hammer fist.all hurt, and all are game enders, all can be acheived from short distance.
The liver and kidneys are good targets for strikes, but I can guarantee you’re not ending the game with an unarmed strike to the liver from bottom of mount. You don’t have the right angle, leverage, or ability to use your legs and body to provide power. You especially aren’t going to do appreciable damage before the top person chokes you out (or just retaliates with his own strikes, which will be much more powerful).

Watch any MMA fight where a fighter tries to punch from bottom of mount. I don’t think you’ll find any examples of the bottom fighter doing significant damage with a strike to the liver or kidneys.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Watch both videos, video number 1

Video number 2

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

As opposed to downward elbows from mount?

Latest Discussions