Yahoo: Couture keeps getting better, chokes out Coleman

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-07-2010 01:39 AM:In the battle of the old guys -- Randy Couture and Mark Coleman -- the older dude was better. Couture looked faster, more crisp and full of more energy as the 46-year-old set the tone early, bouncing jabs off of the 45-year-old's face.

Then Couture employed his bread and butter, using the clinch against the cage and dirty boxing. Coleman looked beat at the end of the first round. He fell victim to an easy takedown in the second round as Couture almost immediately scored the mount. Couture rained down punches and Coleman gave up his back. It was just a matter of time before Couture locked on a rear-naked choke to finish it at 1:09 of the second round.

Couture is old in number but looks like he's adding new elements to his game each time out.

"It seems to be par for the course," joked Couture about being called old. "I'm having a blast. I feel like I'm improving every time out. [I'm] 46 years young!"

Couture said he'd been working on chokes before the fight.

"We've been working on the side-choke a bunch," said Couture. "I thought I had a chance to get it."

Coleman seemed shellshocked by Couture.

"Wow. The guy's tough. He's really tough. He's a great fighter. He beat me to the punch. I was a little slow tonight."

This fight was 12 years in the making. The fighters were supposed to meet back at UFC 17 but it never materialized.

Coleman looked dejected but wants to keep fighting.

"I don't know what the hell happened. Disappointed. Think that I can can do better. I won't quit. I'll be back."

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions