Swimming to help your Krav Magaand BJJ

Jescalito

White Belt
Reaction score
I began taking some swimming lessons recently and I noticed how the technique of the crawl is much like the choke with push defenses in Krav. Today I read that swimming was a big part of physical training of the IDF. I wonder if Imi adapted this motion from swimming for instance choke from the front with a push, the arm shoots straight above your head keeping your shoulder against the ear before you clear the attackers choke and counter. This is exactly how my swim coach stresses I perfrom the crawl. Not to mention I am already feeling the benefits of f swimming as an exercise. I also feel that swimming is beneficial for someone doing krav or BJJ as the pressure you feel when someone is mounting you and centering there weighton you is very reminicent of being underwater trying to hold your fatigue off while you make another lap around the pool. It seems to be helping with my BJJ more directly by forcing me to work on my technique and conserving energy as my toughest obstacle at the beginning stage of JiuJitsu I am at is not relying on my strength.

Anyway just food for though, I'd like to hear if there are any swimmers around and if they feel like I do. I'd say any other activity can help us improve our martial art, show me paint the fence or wax on wax off comes to mind. Also please share if you are involved in any other activities you feel help your arts.

Latest Discussions