Crashing Wings

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

Wes,
I am just submitting a piece of friendly advice. Mr. C and Doc are two different people, with different views and approaches. Each does what they believe to be the best with what they were taught. While I may disagree more or agree more with one than the other, they each are travelling their own journey.
Respectfully,
Seig:asian:

Thanks Les, and Seig. It's always amazing to me how some people see and interpret things from their own perspective than try to assign it to the writer. Some folks are just waaaaay in left field and don't seem to, or want to understand anything. Those type of people are not worth a response because where can you go but down?

"Common Sense" is an oxymoron. Common sense is no longer common.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Some of the techniques are designed to be done during the "attempt" or before it is locked in I guess.

No sir. What would be the point of "breaking the grip" of someone who hasn't really grabbed you? All the "attempt" techniques are labeled as such according to Ed Parker's WOK. Believe me, he knew what he was doing. If a technique "idea" is defined as a "rear bear hug, arms free," than the idea of the lesson plan in the WOK is to force you to examine that particular assault. The "teachers" should have the answers without turning such techniques into "attempts," which do not teach you how to defend yourself when you are really grabbed.

Unfortunately most teachers are lacking in this area because the "ideas of extrication" are not included in Motion-Kenpo materials, only the assault is represented. So if a "teacher" is a product of Motion-Kenpo, he is not likely to have such knowledge without further assistance from someone with that expertise within Kenpo, or going outside of Kenpo to acquire information.

However the information is in Kenpo, and most of the pre-motion Seniors can share it with you should you seek them out. What do you bet Dave german doesn't have an answer? Or Sigung LaBounty, (it's gonna hurt). Don't you find it interesting that the "grab" techniques are always the hardest ones for people to understand? And they comprise 2/3 of the lesson plan technique ideas in the WOK. Ummmmmm.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Most of the grabbing techniques have the answers in them.You have to look for them though. It requires employing things such as leverage and knowing your center of gravity, just to name two. I have learned much simply by reexamining the techniques rather than simply employing them. It seems to me that quite a bit of the material is designed to be thought provoking as wellas practical. It's not enough to be a trained chimp. We are Men and Women with a God given gift for intellect. That very same intellect should allow us to apply logic and learn insight, not to simply regurgitate material.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score

Wes,
I am just submitting a piece of friendly advice. Mr. C and Doc are two different people, with different views and approaches. Each does what they believe to be the best with what they were taught. While I may disagree more or agree more with one than the other, they each are travelling their own journey.
Respectfully,
Seig:asian:

Seig,

Thank you for your help and concern. Very creepy, I must say. If they are two people, why do they use the same name, same sign off and same voice? Strange world we live in.

Respectfully,

Wes Idol, HI
United Kenpo Systems
http://www.uks-kenpo.com

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Thanks Les, and Seig. It's always amazing to me how some people see and interpret things from their own perspective than try to assign it to the writer. Some folks are just waaaaay in left field and don't seem to, or want to understand anything. Those type of people are not worth a response because where can you go but down?

"Common Sense" is an oxymoron. Common sense is no longer common.

What from left field are you talking about? I'm doing my best to speak to with respect, regardless of the sardonic tone of your post. Very easily it can be to speak poorly of one another, either directly or towards others in front of each other.

Respectfully,

Wes Idol, HI
United Kenpo Systems

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol

Seig,

Thank you for your help and concern. Very creepy, I must say. If they are two people, why do they use the same name, same sign off and same voice? Strange world we live in.

Respectfully,

Wes Idol, HI
United Kenpo Systems
No, Mr. Dennis Conatser aka Mr.C uses the Golden Dragon screen moniker.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score

No, Mr. Dennis Conatser aka Mr.C uses the Golden Dragon screen moniker.

Seig,

I feel very certain that I was the first to refer to those two by Mr. C....as well as many others by the first letter of one's last name. So yes, I do know that "Doc" and "Golden Dragon" are two different people. I thought you were saying "Doc" is two different people.

But once again, thank you for your kindness.

Respectfully,

Wes Idol, HI
United Kenpo Systems

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol

Seig,

I feel very certain that I was the first to refer to those two by Mr. C....as well as many others by the first letter of one's last name. So yes, I do know that "Doc" and "Golden Dragon" are two different people. I thought you were saying "Doc" is two different people.

But once again, thank you for your kindness.

Respectfully,

Wes Idol, HI
United Kenpo Systems
Ok, was not aware that you knew both men. Thank you for the setup, but since I do not know Doc that well, I will have to refrain. All I know is that we all have different interpretations and we will not all always like one another.
Seig

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ok, was not aware that you knew both men. Thank you for the setup, but since I do not know Doc that well, I will have to refrain. All I know is that we all have different interpretations and we will not all always like one another.
Seig

Another long string because one person doesn't understand what is obvious to many others. Seig Sir, you are all right in my book, agree or disagree. We can always examine and enjoy the process with intelligence.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Another long string because one person doesn't understand what is obvious to many others. Seig Sir, you are all right in my book, agree or disagree. We can always examine and enjoy the process with intelligence.

No misunderstanding here. But a very interesting Spin-Doctoring on your part.

WI

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I Have went by Mr. C for about 26 years...... lol........ but Ron ChaP'el also has a last name that starts with "C" and some refer (I'm sure to him in his circles as the same)

Im so confused..........:rofl: :boing2: :wah: :idunno:

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Well, I Have went by Mr. C for about 26 years...... lol........ but Ron ChaP'el also has a last name that starts with "C" and some refer (I'm sure to him in his circles as the same)

Im so confused..........:rofl: :boing2: :wah: :idunno:

No biggie, DC. I knew who I was talking to all along (not withstanding two seconds of a miscommunication with Seig). Then as Seig and Les were talking about two separate things, which didn't support anyone's point, perse, RC decided to thank them for their support and Spin Doctor it around into "Some people just don't understand".....basically turning into a strange discrediting of me. All very odd.

WI

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I must very respectfully disagree with pretty much the whole philosophy of the technique as everyone on this thread has written it. Yes you are hitting nerve points ect. NO you are not trying to 'break the hold'. As you go to the side and strike and squat down you are trapping his arms and placing all the weight on his one leg and putting strain on his back in an awkward position. This works every time, try it before you pillory me. From this point there is no defence against the rest of the technique because his arms are trapped. Gary

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Well, no discrediting towards you was intended!!

:)

:asian:

Then what was Ron Chapel doing? It definately looked like he was slingin crap at Wes, while placing the credit squarely at the feet of Seig and Les.

They weren't discrediting Wes, but Chapel certainly was. (You know that as well as I do).

Sincerely,
-B- :asian:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear
Then what was Ron Chapel doing? It definately looked like he was slingin crap at Wes, while placing the credit squarely at the feet of Seig and Les.

They weren't discrediting Wes, but Chapel certainly was. (You know that as well as I do).

Sincerely,
-B- :asian:

Doc's initial post ... The one that seemed to set this whole thing off was nothing that he has not said before regarding the interpretation of EPAK technique... Not a really big interpretation issue there. His next post was muchas I probably would have done in the face of continued mudslinging ... towit: An indirect reference to Wes thinking that everything Doc says is a personal affront to him.

Good grief... I thought we had gotten over the ganging up and fighting/bickering like little old men.

Dan

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
Good grief... I thought we had gotten over the ganging up and fighting/bickering like little old men.

Dan

Agreed! I for one am very tired of seeing this time and time again.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Brian Hunter
Some of the techniques are designed to be done during the "attempt" or before it is locked in I guess.

Then what happens if you are to slow to stop the "ATTEMPT"? What is your plan of action from this particular point.

CDHall
-I sometimes can not make it work against a stronger opponent hanging on tight.

-I respectfully disagree with you here. If you have ever been struck in the back of your hand with a center knuckle strike, you will let go. I can do this every time.... If the strike is insufficient at first, then hit and "rub" with your knuckle a bit, this also works well and I may be including it in my assertion that it works "every time."

You can make it work "every time", but you can't make it work when someone holds on tight or is bigger than you?

Blindside
If the guy grabbing you is a good wrestler, you may be looking at a suplex if you don't get him to release. Of course if he is a good wrestler, you are probably going down regardless, given that he has already gotten ahold of you.

I agree, He doesn't even have to be a good wrestler, he just has to have already made up his mind that you are going to the ground and you will undoubtably be there.

Various
If the strike is insufficient at first, then hit and "rub" with your knuckle a bit....

...you really need to dig those elbows in well to get the desired effect, and sometimes you have to do it a few times...

How much time do we have to deal with the situation? In another thread, we discussed how grabs are generally precursors to such things as throws, takedowns, and strikes. You don't have a whole lot of time to establish your defense before the scenery changes.

Just some thoughts.

Latest Discussions