Crashing other WC schools!

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
it happens..but if you can get past it you will learn alot.

Not only politics and ego. There is the thing about time management and having a wife claiming she wants some hours of your time as well.

Otherwise I would spend a lot of time now learning what sets WSLVT apart from my own lineage. Granted of course I could cut some hours from my own training at this point but that is a very tough thing to do. I do not want to miss any training, addicted as I am to training itself.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only politics and ego. There is the thing about time management and having a wife claiming she wants some hours of your time as well.

Otherwise I would spend a lot of time now learning what sets WSLVT apart from my own lineage. Granted of course I could cut some hours from my own training at this point but that is a very tough thing to do. I do not want to miss any training, addicted as I am to training itself.

What lineage do you come from? No matter what lineage all have the same basic foundation.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
What lineage do you come from? No matter what lineage all have the same basic foundation.

Well my lineage is Wing Tsun. As for foundation it was actually the nuances that have me interested. Not to switch lineage but to study if they have a different understanding of punches. After all they put a more direct focus on it.

Constant self improvement.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
years ago i saw a video of german wing chun or ving tsun guys that really crashed a school of the other style. just got in, smaller people there ran around like scared up chickens and the big guy who came in began to slap people there. wtf? why? because an other style? to show that the big guy is a hero at b*tch slapping? i don't get such stuff and the hating between wing chun styles. just idiotic and embarrassing and dragging the whole art through the mire.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You obviously haven't been talking to LFJ and Guy B. much lately. :D

years ago i saw a video of german wing chun or ving tsun guys that really crashed a school of the other style. just got in, smaller people there ran around like scared up chickens and the big guy who came in began to slap people there. wtf? why? because an other style? to show that the big guy is a hero at b*tch slapping? i don't get such stuff and the hating between wing chun styles. just idiotic and embarrassing and dragging the whole art through the mire.

Don't get it? The simple answer is ego and money.

These attitudes were encouraged by self-interested instructors trying to build a rep and make money by promoting their particular brand or flavor of WC. Their students often buy into this brainwashing and actually believe that they have the one "true and authentic" system. Then they go out on the internet and bad-mouth everybody else. And rarely somebody actually mounts a challenge, ...but that's pretty uncommon in today's world.

Nowadays, we have other venues for actually testing your stuff, and most of the true-believer types don't fare so well there.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't get it? The simple answer is ego and money.

These attitudes were encouraged by self-interested instructors trying to build a rep and make money by promoting their particular brand or flavor of WC. Their students often buy into this brainwashing and actually believe that they have the one "true and authentic" system. Then they go out on the internet and bad-mouth everybody else. And rarely somebody actually mounts a challenge, ...but that's pretty uncommon in today's world.

Nowadays, we have other venues for actually testing your stuff, and most of the true-believer types don't fare so well there.

uhm okay, then i got it right indeed. but they won't recruit newbies by appearing that dubious.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Training is good, training with more people and different flavors is good, as long as everyone is well-intentioned.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score

This might be true if you only look at very basic, very surface level stuff. Like "all wing chun has centerline" or "All wing chun has taan/bong/fook".
But ask 3 people from 3 different lineages to define WC centerline and you'll get 3 very vastly different answers. There have been threads on forums that have gone on months with people arguing about just this one supposedly 'basic' idea/foundation. Heck, even among those in the same lineage!
And that's just one quick example.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Right, next month. Sometimes my mind says one thing and my hands type something else.

...and yes I meant Jake. I haven't heard from him in a long time. He should come too. :)

Hi Steve, it's been a few months. Any plans to go this month? I think that would be on the 20th?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Steve, it's been a few months. Any plans to go this month? I think that would be on the 20th?

Honestly, I totally forgot about it. A lot of stuff has been going on ...my daughter just wrecked my truck in that big storm on Tuesday evening, the school year just started up (I'm a teacher) etc. etc. Thanks for the reminder. I might give it a shot. Are you planning on going?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Right, next month. Sometimes my mind says one thing and my hands type something else.

...and yes I meant Jake. I haven't heard from him in a long time. He should come too. :)
Hey guys it's been a while. I'm still around and still training DTE....Technically I'm a closed door private student.. Sounds so romantic and mystical doesn't it? ..:D
I'll check in here more often again.. I'm always game for cross training or cross linage training, just lmk.. Steve I'll probably see you at a gathering eventually. Maybe this Saturday if I go?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
No need for a PM. We met at Sifu Nick Edmond's place, "Red-light Wing Chun" at 316 W. McDowell Rd. in downtown Phoenix . Nick is of the Sam Kwok lineage. Check his webpage. He said they usually have an open practice 2-4pm on the 3rd Saturday of the month. If I'm in town, I hope to go again next week. It would be great to meet up. A friend of mine took some lessons from your Kung-fu brother Eric H. and had a lot of praise for what you guys do!
No disrespect but..IDK they may not like the DTE chi sau I'm used to doing now? I'll probably get the whole "that's not wing chun" line?... But I'm open to just roll and take it easy until the b slapping starts. After all for us chi sau is actually used in combat and always in play...I enjoy rolling and working different "techniques". Just not a fan of chi sau point fighting. Id rather clinch grapple strike grapple strike throw. But I like meeting new people and sharing what I've learned in a respectful manner of course.

Last edited:

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just bringing this back up - I honestly forgot all about it. Has anyone gone since August of last year? Are they still doing it?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish the WC in my area was more like this. Unfortunately, there are only 3 WC instructors.

Two places are from the Leung Sheun lineage. The third is from Ip Ching lineage, where I originally trained. When one of the Leung Sheung teachers first moved here from Arizona, he visited the Ip Ching instructor and wanted to do chi sao with him. Ip Ching guy refused; he also refused to participate in any impromptu chi sao get-togethers that the Leung Sheung guy invited him to.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just bringing this back up - I honestly forgot all about it. Has anyone gone since August of last year? Are they still doing it?

Actually, I've been out of touch. You know, work and worse, a couple of rounds of colds and flu recently. Last I heard, Nick Edmonds had turned the kwoon over to his kung fu brother, Sol. I really should get back in touch to see what's going on.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish the WC in my area was more like this. Unfortunately, there are only 3 WC instructors.

Two places are from the Leung Sheun lineage. The third is from Ip Ching lineage, where I originally trained. When one of the Leung Sheung teachers first moved here from Arizona, he visited the Ip Ching instructor and wanted to do chi sao with him. Ip Ching guy refused; he also refused to participate in any impromptu chi sao get-togethers that the Leung Sheung guy invited him to.

We may be missing context. I love it when someone reaches out to me and I have successfully done the same, but I've also gotten "I'd like to come by and see what your students can do" or "how would you like to have my come to your class and show them how we do it?" ... from basically total strangers.

There is a right way and a wrong way to build those communities and relationships.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
We may be missing context. I love it when someone reaches out to me and I have successfully done the same, but I've also gotten "I'd like to come by and see what your students can do" or "how would you like to have my come to your class and show them how we do it?" ... from basically total strangers.

There is a right way and a wrong way to build those communities and relationships.

Judging from what I know about the Leung Sheung Sifu, and what I have known of the Ip Ching Sifu, I can say I honestly doubt there was no ill will intended there.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is weird. I train Jiu Jitsu with one of Jim Fung's senior WC students, we were actually awarded our black belts on the same day. I've known him for about ten years, but we've probably spent a total of three minutes discussing Wing Chun in that time.

OTOH, I did meet up with Alex Oropeza, a Garrett Gee / HFY student when he was visiting Sydney at his instigation. We had a fascinating chat and exchange some forms and techniques down near Circular Quay.

My first instructor used to run an annual camp in Canberra over a weekend where he'd invite everybody - there were Kung Fu guys, karate guys, JKD guys, Jiu Jitsu (mainly me), Systema. Good atmosphere, good times.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I crashed another WC school from a different lineage ...
For a WC guy to crash another WC school just doesn't make sense to me. Should a WC guy try to crash another long fist school, preying mantis school, Baji school, Taiji school, ... instead?

Do I miss anything important here?

Latest Discussions