Reaction score
Relax.jpg

Chill y'all.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of hard working people live pay-check to pay-check. I am happy that I am not one of them, but that doesn't change things for people who do.

In the US, not everyone has or can afford health insurance. Again, I'm fortunate, but it would be wrong for me to dismiss the reality of or blame people who are doing their best.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of hard working people live pay-check to pay-check. I am happy that I am not one of them, but that doesn't change things for people who do.

In the US, not everyone has or can afford health insurance. Again, I'm fortunate, but it would be wrong for me to dismiss the reality of or blame people who are doing their best.

Even if you have the insurance, it doesn't mean you can afford your deductible, or that the insurance company will authorize any procedures (and whatever they don't authorize you have to pay out of pocket).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you stop going to grocery store and ask grocery store (such as HEB) to deliver food at your front door?

Having your food delivered by a supermarket here is quite common, saves a lot of bother.

The Chief Scientific Officer and the Chief Medical Officer here say that a lot of people will get the virus and they will be off work for a few days and be perfectly fine, what's more important they will be immunised. The priority here is the old people who have underlying medical issues, here they are working to a plan, the next stage has been implemented. While not downplaying the severity they are also saying that while some of us will succumb, the majority ie just about most of us will survive quite nicely and not get it again if it should re-occur. People with fever or cough told to self-isolate

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if you have the insurance, it doesn't mean you can afford your deductible, or that the insurance company will authorize any procedures (and whatever they don't authorize you have to pay out of pocket).
The president met with the CEOs of the big insurance companies recently. Apparently the insurance folks have agreed to waive copays and such for Covid-19 testing and (perhaps?) treatments. They also agreed to NO SURPRISE BILLINGS.

The fact that they needed to specifically raise that second issue and get them to agree on that point is very telling on the extent of how utterly f**ked up our medical insurance system is.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how utterly f**ked up our medical insurance system is.
I think US hasn't start major testing may be because the US medical insurance system here.

There is only 1 death in Taiwan. I just can't believe that US can't do as good as Taiwan does.

Taiwan reports first death from coronavirus

Shortly after the team returned, Taiwan began requiring hospitals to test for and report cases. That helped the government identify those infected, trace their contacts and isolate everyone involved, preventing the virus from spreading to the community.

All this happened long before Taiwan confirmed its first case Jan. 21 and the rest of the world became alarmed.

Taiwan also took tough action early. On Jan. 26, five days after it confirmed its first case, Taiwan banned arrivals from Wuhan, earlier than any other country.

Not long after, it did the same for flights from all but a handful of Chinese cities, and only Taiwanese people were allowed to fly in.

After securing its borders, Taiwan used technology to fight the virus. Temperature monitors were already set up at airports after the 2003 SARS outbreak to detect anyone with a fever, a symptom of coronavirus.

Passengers can also scan a QR code and report their travel history and health symptoms online. That data is then given directly to Taiwan’s CDC.

One man who didn’t tell the authorities he had symptoms after he returned from Wuhan and went to a dance club the next day was fined $10,000.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if squirrels start social distancing themselves from our yards?

I live in Colorado. I was thinking more along the lines of deer and elk...

Do you stop going to grocery store and ask grocery store (such as HEB) to deliver food at your front door?

Sure. It's a good idea. And there are already things in place (like GrubHub) to do it. Order your groceries online and they show up at your door.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think US hasn't start major testing may be because the US medical insurance system here.
It may be part of the issue, but it is clear the whole situation has been mishandled from the very beginning.

Personally though, I’ve had enough of this private sector, for-profit medical insurance system. That entire industry ought to go extinct. Time for those folks to get honest jobs.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

There is only 1 death in Taiwan. I just can't believe that US can't do as good as Taiwan does.

Taiwan reports first death from coronavirus

Shortly after the team returned, Taiwan began requiring hospitals to test for and report cases. That helped the government identify those infected, trace their contacts and isolate everyone involved, preventing the virus from spreading to the community.

All this happened long before Taiwan confirmed its first case Jan. 21 and the rest of the world became alarmed.

Taiwan also took tough action early. On Jan. 26, five days after it confirmed its first case, Taiwan banned arrivals from Wuhan, earlier than any other country.

Not long after, it did the same for flights from all but a handful of Chinese cities, and only Taiwanese people were allowed to fly in.

After securing its borders, Taiwan used technology to fight the virus. Temperature monitors were already set up at airports after the 2003 SARS outbreak to detect anyone with a fever, a symptom of coronavirus.

Passengers can also scan a QR code and report their travel history and health symptoms online. That data is then given directly to Taiwan’s CDC.

One man who didn’t tell the authorities he had symptoms after he returned from Wuhan and went to a dance club the next day was fined $10,000.
There has been and currently is a huge amount of testing going on in the US. CDC and HHS among others. And just about all of the pharmaceutical companies are racing for a vaccine. Everyone wants to be the hero.

Trump is helping the pharmaceutical companies by suspending some things that slow down the process. The CDC and HHS have been very good about getting their findings to the pharmaceutical companies, assisting with research, and coordinating companies to work together.

No one is sitting around and waiting. No one is staying away from it because of money. They’ll recoup their money and will get ethical favors for their work. The first dosages will most likely be sold to the government. Once things are somewhat under control, they’ll go through the usual channels.

Biotech pharmaceutical companies have the best chance for a quick treatment/vaccine IMO. Watch the video in this link:

New York biotech company working to make antibody treatment for the coronavirus

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may be part of the issue, but it is clear the whole situation has been mishandled from the very beginning.

Personally though, I’ve had enough of this private sector, for-profit medical insurance system. That entire industry ought to go extinct. Time for those folks to get honest jobs.
No one can screw someone up like the government can.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After close to twenty years in our jobs

Eventually the non-retirement savings/severance pay ran out and our time living in the San Francisco area (most expensive in the nation) was up.

Wow. And how much, exactly, do you know about how I prepared and how I lived my life for the last couple decades? How much? Care to share?

Tons of inference in these sentences. I do not need to know the details of you life to figure this out.
You worked for 20 years in an area you knew was very expensive yet you did not prepare for the inevitable. And now you are railing about how unfair public healthcare is? Hilarious.
You need to be really careful about thinking your life has been worse than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions