Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you were joking :) I was writing that more to 'annoy' XS again! :D than actually answer you.
The parchments from William the Conqueror's time are something to see though.
What I love looking at is the various english chronicles. Literally a way to tell what happened/was considered important in various areas of england/ireland year by year.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It could just be a slow week, but I think we're seeing less and less students. I've had several parents tell me they will pull their kids out of TKD if their regular school closes down. If we get a city-wide school closure like Seattle had, we may have to close, too (in fact, I'm not sure if that would be my Master's decision, or if the fact we're a school will close us automatically).

I'll be honest, I'm not too horribly scared of the virus. Not with my age and the fact I'm otherwise fairly healthy. What worries me is if everything closes down, how am I going to get food?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could just be a slow week, but I think we're seeing less and less students. I've had several parents tell me they will pull their kids out of TKD if their regular school closes down. If we get a city-wide school closure like Seattle had, we may have to close, too (in fact, I'm not sure if that would be my Master's decision, or if the fact we're a school will close us automatically).

I'll be honest, I'm not too horribly scared of the virus. Not with my age and the fact I'm otherwise fairly healthy. What worries me is if everything closes down, how am I going to get food?
Patient's at my hospital have it, and while I haven't had direct contact with them (I think), all shift I've been sitting next to staff members who were treating them. I've been joking that I'd be fine if they gave it to me as it would be two weeks vacation minimum. The much bigger issue to me is the panic about it, and things closing down-The NBA season is suspended, and my tickets to the NCAA march madness first/second round in albany are useless!!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would argue that the bigger issue is people dying.

It's not all black and white. Everyone who makes a living based on those events is out of a job. For the athletes, that's fine. But for people like vendors, sound operators, janitors, etc., it most likely means they're laid off or on furlough until this crisis is over. That may affect their livelihoods or their family's well-being.

Schools are closing, which means kids aren't getting the education they need. Is it better than kids getting germs that could make them sick? Yes. But it still sucks. They don't call things "the lesser of two evils" because one of them isn't evil.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's fair. And in the places where there are a lot of deaths then yeah, that's the bigger issue. But if that's the case, people should be just as concerned about suicide, heart disease, drunk driving, and the flu. And people don't seem to be. And like skribs said people are getting laid off as a result of these things, or put on leave, which just causes more death, as people can't afford medical care, have difficulty with food, might lose their houses/apartments without rent for the month, all of which could lead to medical issues that can also kill them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not all black and white. Everyone who makes a living based on those events is out of a job. For the athletes, that's fine. But for people like vendors, sound operators, janitors, etc., it most likely means they're laid off or on furlough until this crisis is over. That may affect their livelihoods or their family's well-being.

Schools are closing, which means kids aren't getting the education they need. Is it better than kids getting germs that could make them sick? Yes. But it still sucks. They don't call things "the lesser of two evils" because one of them isn't evil.
And also the local businesses that depend on the foot traffic from those events and their employees. Stadiums/areas have a lot of businesses like restaurants and stores around them. March Madness in Albany not allowing spectators is a big to the local economy. Hotels won’t have the people they counted on, cabs, rental cars, restaurants, local shops, and so on. I live in the Albany area and can see which places will feel it the most.

It’s the same everywhere these things get cancelled. The longer it goes on for, the exponentially higher the chances of those places closing for good. The big chain-type places are far safer than the small mom and pop places.

It’ll end soon though. Hopefully soon enough to keep small businesses from closing permanently and their employees from getting permanently laid off or bankrupt.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as people can't afford medical care, have difficulty with food, might lose their houses/apartments without rent for the month, all of which could lead to medical issues that can also kill them.

We've just had measures put in place here so people can receive sickness benefit if they are ill or self isolate, small businesses have financial loans and grants available to help, larger companies will also have help. £2bn would be allocated to cover up to 2m firms employing fewer than 250 employees that lose out because staff are off sick.A series of cheap loans would also be on offer while smaller firms in some of the hardest-hit industries, including retailers and museums, would not have to pay business rates – a tax cut worth £1bn. A further £1bn would cover compensation for people on benefits who become sick plus a
£34bn increase in NHS spending . Subscribe to read | Financial Times
The Governor of the Bank of England and the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced a lot of measures yesterday so the economic affects on people are mitigated as much as possible. I will add, not in a political way!, I roundly despise this government but the way they are dealing with this has been calm and measured allowing the medical and other relevant experts to do their 'thing'.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My thoughts on the whole thing from what I’ve put together from people I know who are truly “in the know”...

When the dust settles and we have some solid statistics, I don’t think the mortality rate from this is going to be very high. It’ll probably be lower than the flu or about equal. Not that people dying is anything good; just some perspective.

The panic from people who are working on it like WHO, CDC, HHS, etc. is that there’s too many unknowns. Will it mutate quickly and anything they’re currently working on be ineffective when it’s available?

It has apparently spread faster on a large scale than anything previously studied. Some things have spread quicker, but they were confined to smaller regions before running their course.

Then there’s the big question of will this go away with flu season, or will it stay. No one is banking on it going away in a few weeks/months on its own, regardless of what they’re publicly saying. They’re hoping it will, but that doesn’t mean they’re sitting back and counting on it.

Treatments are a lot closer than people realize. It’s a matter of the balance of getting them out safely while getting them out as soon as possible. It would be irresponsible to give people a treatment that could potentially have longer term damage than what they currently have. In a very generalized sense - what if someone has a potential cure right now and gives it out, but a few years down the road a huge percentage of the people who took it develop cancer from it?

Then there’s the matter of who’ll get the treatment first. How do you prioritize? The most sick? The biggest population likely to spread it further? The people with the highest risk of infection like health care workers?

There’s so many facets to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coronavirus isn't spreading as fast as the swine flu did in 2009, Swine flu infected 'fifth of people'

Then there’s the matter of who’ll get the treatment first.

Treatment isn't actually needed for the majority of people who get it, just the usual things you'd take and do for flu/cough/cold. The danger is for those especially elderly with underlying conditions. Everyone else gets over it.
Vaccination is needed to protect those with suppressed immune systems and those underlying conditions but then people should also be getting their flu and pneumonia vaccines and children theirs so we can protect the same people from all the other viruses and illnesses already out there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, due to the Coronavirus my weekend plans have been shut down. Next weekend we were supposed to go to Boston and the following to NYC. I don't much care that we are not going to NYC, I don't much like NYC. But I do like Boston. Oh well, best to not to take unnecessary risks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, due to the Coronavirus my weekend plans have been shut down. Next weekend we were supposed to go to Boston and the following to NYC. I don't much care that we are not going to NYC, I don't much like NYC. But I do like Boston. Oh well, best to not to take unnecessary risks.

Ah spending time with family instead :D

I did wonder last month when they announced deaths on the cruise ship in Japan that was being isolated because of the virus whether those people had actually died from the virus or been killed by their partners after spending 14 days stuck together in a little cabin.:D:D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your undoubtedly more at risk of catching it at home, in close confines of your friends and family than you are walking the streets of Boston or attending a sporting event or what have you

unless your going to isolate not only yourself but all the people in your domestic set up..

that said, catching it, unless your going to lock yourself away for some weeks to come has an element of inevitability about it

i was convinced i had it yesterday, felt rotten, banging head, running eyes and nose and, well i feel great today, im going to keep my distance from my aged mother, but seems as the staff at the home arnt doing such that is probably futile as well

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me - minor reduction in contact of drills
But the real kicker is several of my seminars and outreach classes have been cancelled due to the virus
:(:(:(:(:(

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fully agree. Somehow people have become so disenfranchised with death that it does not carry the weight it is supposed to.

This is a very telling picture of the mentality of the last couple generations. It used to be preached and preached and preached to built a savings reserve so you were prepared to financially ride through something like this. Now a days, people live so far beyond their means (having tons of debt) that they think it is the norm. When the least little financial blip happens they freak out.
All that said, this is some next level stuff governments and businesses are doing. Regardless of the vehicle that drives economic factors like these, people should have a nest egg to be prepared.

It is interesting to compare the climate of countries with high outbreak. Historically, I would say Africa as a whole is the usual epicenter for things like this. It has barely been affected.
I hope and pray that all of this is a blip and will be over in a month or so.

FYI: There are some incredible deals on flights right now. Last night we booked a trip to Vegas ($70 roundtrip) to see all the awesome sites within driving distance. Also booked a flight to the Caymans ($160 roundtrip) in September.
There is always a silver lining out there somewhere.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
People losing their livelyhood is serious as well. Seattle restaurants are closing. The people that work there, for the most past don't have savings, guaranteed income, or health insurance. It's hard to imagine all of those businesses reopening if they are closed for very long.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fully agree. Somehow people have become so disenfranchised with death that it does not carry the weight it is supposed to.

This is a very telling picture of the mentality of the last couple generations. It used to be preached and preached and preached to built a savings reserve so you were prepared to financially ride through something like this. Now a days, people live so far beyond their means (having tons of debt) that they think it is the norm. When the least little financial blip happens they freak out.
All that said, this is some next level stuff governments and businesses are doing. Regardless of the vehicle that drives economic factors like these, people should have a nest egg to be prepared.

It is interesting to compare the climate of countries with high outbreak. Historically, I would say Africa as a whole is the usual epicenter for things like this. It has barely been affected.
I hope and pray that all of this is a blip and will be over in a month or so.

FYI: There are some incredible deals on flights right now. Last night we booked a trip to Vegas ($70 roundtrip) to see all the awesome sites within driving distance. Also booked a flight to the Caymans ($160 roundtrip) in September.
There is always a silver lining out there somewhere.

yes a cheap holiday in other people misery, look appealing
reminds me of when ''mad cow disease'' panic was at its height, i hit the super market to find they were almost literally giving beef away, i bought the lot, and then bought another freezer me and the dogs have never lived so well, i was really sorry when common sense returned

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People losing their livelyhood is serious as well. Seattle restaurants are closing. The people that work there, for the most past don't have savings or guarantees income or health insurance. It's hard to imagine all of those businesses reopening if they are closed for very long.
Yeah, there are a whole lot of people working low wage jobs, who are simply unable to put away any savings.

We recently moved across the state, and it has taken some time to find solid employment. My wife is currently a temporary part-time worker at the community college, and she is likely to lose her paycheck as they close the campus and move to online instruction. I am a part-time worker, but not temporary, although after I joined the company, they announced the intention to close a lot of their operations. So I will be out of a job in a few months, regardless.

In order to make our move, I needed to make a large early withdrawal from my retirement savings. We meet with our tax guy tomorrow and will find out how much we owe in taxes and early withdrawal penalties. It won’t be pretty. The only means we have to pay it is to make another early withdrawal, and pay the penalty again at tax time next year. It could carry into the next year and the year after that, depending on our employment situation. My entire retirement account could be obliterated inside of three or four years, and I’m nowhere near retirement yet. But we needed to move, we could no longer afford to live where we had been living, and the retirement account was the only way to make it happen. And then Covid-19 happens and just makes it all worse. So much for having some savings packed away. It is crystal clear to me how fragile one’s economic situation can be.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think such an order has any impact on privately owned businesses. You're also not a school in this context.

I'll be honest, I'm not too horribly scared of the virus. Not with my age and the fact I'm otherwise fairly healthy.

And there's no reason to worry that you'd give it to someone who wouldn't survive it...

What worries me is if everything closes down, how am I going to get food?

How are your archery skills?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a whole lot of people working low wage jobs, who are simply unable to put away any savings.

We recently moved across the state, and it has taken some time to find solid employment. My wife is currently a temporary part-time worker at the community college, and she is likely to lose her paycheck as they close the campus and move to online instruction. I am a part-time worker, but not temporary, although after I joined the company, they announced the intention to close a lot of their operations. So I will be out of a job in a few months, regardless.

In order to make our move, I needed to make a large early withdrawal from my retirement savings. We meet with our tax guy tomorrow and will find out how much we owe in taxes and early withdrawal penalties. It won’t be pretty. The only means we have to pay it is to make another early withdrawal, and pay the penalty again at tax time next year. It could carry into the next year and the year after that, depending on our employment situation. My entire retirement account could be obliterated inside of three or four years, and I’m nowhere near retirement yet. But we needed to move, we could no longer afford to live where we had been living, and the retirement account was the only way to make it happen. And then Covid-19 happens and just makes it all worse. So much for having some savings packed away. It is crystal clear to me how fragile one’s economic situation can be.
its a time of opportunity, use your saving to buy the stocks that have recently plunged in value.

set up a business delivering food to hypochondriacs,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions