Full contact sparring and HIV.

S

superdave

What precautions do you take to prevent your training partner's blood from getting all over you during sparring? Since you never know who carries what disease around today, do any of you require an HIV test before before letting students engage in full contact sparring, especially if there is the chance that blood may be drawn.?

Thoughts?

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by superdave
What precautions do you take to prevent your training partner's blood from getting all over you during sparring? Since you never know who carries what disease around today, do any of you require an HIV test before before letting students engage in full contact sparring, especially if there is the chance that blood may be drawn.?

Thoughts?

The only precaution that we use at our dojo is once ( if ) blood is drawn the sparring match is called, unless you can stop the bleeding and safely continue!

I dont think you can legaly force anyone to take a blood test and denying them the opportunity to compete in sparring matches because they wont will probably cost you a law suit.

You must always treat everyone who is bleeding as though they are infected with a blood borne pathogen to prevent possible spread to others.

Hepatitus and HIV are serious be careful !

:asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Although quality of life is very, very important for a HIV carrier obviously, I would say that, in my opinion, it would be irresponsible for a HIV carrier to enage in sparring where they could spary blood into someones eyes or mouth etc. if they got hit.

Therefore I would say that the preventative measures should be down to the carrier, i.e. non-participation, rather than their training partners.

I'm sure a HIV carrier could participate in many, many other aspects of teh martial arts though, and keep everyone safe.

Ian.

OP
D

Disco

There are people out there that do not know they have either illness. As for formal competitions (ie: Regional / National Championships), I have heard that all contestants in sparring must bring a clearance notice from their doctor before they can participate. On the local levels, I'm unsure. For school sparring, it's a loaded gun unless the Instructor mandates the same health check.

Personal safeguards that we use. For our self defense tactics, we emphasize not to target frontal facial attacks if at all possible. This for two reason's. 1). Some people can take a punch to the face and it will not effect them. 2). The AIDS factor. Most people that you will use your self defense skills on, will be shall we say be on the lower status of society. Thus the opportunity for the possibility of AIDS being present is greatly increased.

:asian:

Latest Discussions