Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think such an order has any impact on privately owned businesses. You're also not a school in this context.

The Seattle Dragons will be playing for an empty house.

And there's no reason to worry that you'd give it to someone who wouldn't survive it...

If I thought I had it, I'd definitely stay home and try and self-quarantine. I am trying to limit my exposure to people compared to normal. But I would hope that those who are in greater danger would take appropriate measures.

My greatest worry is for myself. Once I am taken care of, then I can worry about others. In terms of worrying about myself, my worry is less about the virus, and more about my ability to satisfy my basic needs.

How are your archery skills?

Non-existent, and I don't have a bow. I have a couple of shotguns, though.

The bigger problem is not so much with my ability to kill an animal, but rather my ability to butcher it and then safely cook the meat.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I thought I had it, I'd definitely stay home and try and self-quarantine.

You're contagious for up to 14 days before you have any symptoms.

Non-existent, and I don't have a bow. I have a couple of shotguns, though.

The bigger problem is not so much with my ability to kill an animal, but rather my ability to butcher it and then safely cook the meat.

You don't know how to cut up a critter and cook it???
Here's a quick How To.
Get a sharp knife. Make it sharper.
Open up the belly of the critter.
Remove all the squishy bits and chuck 'em.
Remove the furry bits. You won't know how to tan hide, so chuck 'em.
Cut off the meaty bits.
Fire up the grill and toss them on.
Season to taste.
Don't overcook them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're contagious for up to 14 days before you have any symptoms.

Well, the current advice everyone has is "if you are sick, stay home." So unfortunately that's what I have to work with.

Here's a quick How To.
Get a sharp knife. Make it sharper.
Open up the belly of the critter.
Remove all the squishy bits and chuck 'em.
Remove the furry bits. You won't know how to tan hide, so chuck 'em.
Cut off the meaty bits.
Fire up the grill and toss them on.
Season to taste.
Don't overcook them.

For once you have over-estimated me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the current advice everyone has is "if you are sick, stay home." So unfortunately that's what I have to work with.

Actually, the current advise is ' If you're sick, stay home. If you're not sick, stay home anyway." Social distancing will have a huge impact on how wide this spreads.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very telling picture of the mentality of the last couple generations. It used to be preached and preached and preached to built a savings reserve so you were prepared to financially ride through something like this. Now a days, people live so far beyond their means (having tons of debt) that they think it is the norm. When the least little financial blip happens they freak out.
All that said, this is some next level stuff governments and businesses are doing. Regardless of the vehicle that drives economic factors like these, people should have a nest egg to be prepared.
From my experience dealing with people who have had mental health issues due to financial stress, it doesn't match up with it being a generational mentality thing. What seems to happen is when 40+ folks that have money businesses fail, or they get laid off, they don't have enough saved to continue their/their families lifestyle. Often as a result in part because they did not keep up with new training in their fields, so can't get a new job. With the under 30 folks, it seems to be more that they are working full time and struggle to survive (which will eventually translate to if they lose their job and/or business flops and have a family, they'll have nothing to rely on in the future when they have a family). 30-40 folks can go either way.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
at this juncture of my day after dealing with panicky folks, worried about how they are going to work from home, and making me set up copious laptops...its time for this

spooky, ive got exactly that track playing

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From my experience dealing with people who have had mental health issues due to financial stress, it doesn't match up with it being a generational mentality thing. What seems to happen is when 40+ folks that have money businesses fail, or they get laid off, they don't have enough saved to continue their/their families lifestyle. Often as a result in part because they did not keep up with new training in their fields, so can't get a new job. With the under 30 folks, it seems to be more that they are working full time and struggle to survive (which will eventually translate to if they lose their job and/or business flops and have a family, they'll have nothing to rely on in the future when they have a family). 30-40 folks can go either way.
people should try to live with in their means or at least have loss of job insurance on their loans. its really easy, dont spend money faster than you get it, save up for things, buy second hand, say no to the kids, partner, dont care if you have the worse car in the street

and most of all, stop buying starbucks ( other brand available)

it a point of considerable annoyance to my better of relatives that i have everything they have, usually better whilst owing no one a penny, be cause of prudent purchase policy, if its not an absolute bargain i do with out until an absolute bargain materialises

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, the current advise is ' If you're sick, stay home. If you're not sick, stay home anyway." Social distancing will have a huge impact on how wide this spreads.
I’m trying quarantine my mother. And I’m not going to visit her, regardless of if I’m symptomatic or not. She had a kidney transplant a few years ago and is on immunosuppressants.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
people should try to live with in their means or at least have loss of job insurance on their loans. its really easy, dont spend money faster than you get it, save up for things, buy second hand, say no to the kids, partner, dont care if you have the worse car in the street

and most of all, stop buying starbucks ( other brand available)

it a point of considerable annoyance to my better of relatives that i have everything they have, usually better whilst owing no one a penny, be cause of prudent purchase policy, if its not an absolute bargain i do with out until an absolute bargain materialises
I agree, people should live within their means. I was just arguing that it's not a generational thing, at least not how Dvochran was stating it-from the people I've seen who are struggling with financial issues, the younger generation seems to be mostly a result of not having enough money to begin with, and the older generation seems to be people who didn't live within their means and are now struggling.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, people should live within their means. I was just arguing that it's not a generational thing, at least not how Dvochran was stating it-from the people I've seen who are struggling with financial issues, the younger generation seems to be mostly a result of not having enough money to begin with, and the older generation seems to be people who didn't live within their means and are now struggling.
it is to some degree generational. its just want it now, get the CC out has been running for several generations now, hell the whole economy would shut down, if people saved up for things or even made do and mend

however the throw away and buy new society means you can live in the margins very nicely indeed for very little

i grabbed my my favourite leather reclining chair out of a skip, my sister was disgusted i could sink so low, its green i told her and its stil better than the one she paid 800 for

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. My wife and I always lived within our means.

After close to twenty years in our jobs, we were both laid off in 2017. We did some retraining, hoping to get into a less stressful /more fulfilling career, and recognizing the likelihood of a lower paycheck in doing so. Eventually the non-retirement savings/severance pay ran out and our time living in the San Francisco area (most expensive in the nation) was up. We saw the need to get out and so we did. But it has been anything but a smooth and easy transition. I guess in hindsight, we should have made the move as soon as we were laid off, when we still had some non-retirement savings. But we hoped to be able to continue living in the area where she was born and raised and her parents still live, and where I had lived since 1994. So we gave it our best run until the money ran out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Who said anything about mental health issues? Please do not try to hijack the post. Nothing was ever said about mental health. And the fact that you frame your argument for people in their 30's and 40's is telling.
I already owned 5 businesses by the age of 35. I had over 100 people on payroll by the age of 40. Three of the businesses I have since sold for a profit.

noun: mentality; plural noun: mentalities

The characteristic attitude of mind or way of thinking of a person or group.
  1. "the yuppie mentality of the eighties"

Similar:
    way of thinking
    frame of mind
    way someone's mind works
    mind
    mind set
I hope you understand your gaff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My job just evacuated the building today around 1 PM. An employee stated that he/she may have been exposed to the Corona virus so now I'm at home Self Quarantined in a small room.

I'm not sick or anything but there were a few sick people who were in the building. Not sure what they had. Only time will tell now.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is crystal clear to me how fragile one’s economic situation can be.
It is WAY too late in the game to just now have this thought process.
It is every person's responsibility. Not a company or business they work for. The latter only provides supplement to what a person should already be doing for themselves.
Our benefits package worked out to about 8% of a persons hourly wage in dollar value benefits. Plus we paid extra for our benefits provider to have one on one meetings with employees about their benefits/retirement.
How is this not more than generous?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is WAY too late in the game to just now have this thought process.
It is every person's responsibility. Not a company or business they work for. The latter only provides supplement to what a person should already be doing for themselves.
Our benefits package worked out to about 8% of a persons hourly wage in dollar value benefits. Plus we paid extra for our benefits provider to have one on one meetings with employees about their benefits/retirement.
How is this not more than generous?
I’m sorry, are you blaming me?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who said anything about mental health issues? Please do not try to hijack the post. Nothing was ever said about mental health. And the fact that you frame your argument for people in their 30's and 40's is telling.
I already owned 5 businesses by the age of 35. I had over 100 people on payroll by the age of 40. Three of the businesses I have since sold for a profit.

noun: mentality; plural noun: mentalities

The characteristic attitude of mind or way of thinking of a person or group.
  1. "the yuppie mentality of the eighties"

Similar:
    way of thinking
    frame of mind
    way someone's mind works
    mind
    mind set
I hope you understand your gaff.
I'm referring to the people who get mental health issues as a result of their financial stressors, because that's what I have the most contact with. I'm avoiding referring to the people that had already-existent mental health issues. And I was referring to the mentalities, based on the struggling people whom I've come in contact with, what the mentality is that caused each.

As you pointed out, you were discussing generational mentalities. So you're individual finances may differ from the general mentality. If we're talking about individuals; my fiancee and I both make okay money, I have enough stored for about half a year if I needed to, and she has enough stored for over a year for us to get by if needed. I do not live above my means, and the only debt I have is remaining student loans that's almost fully paid off. But I didn't mention that because my own situation is unrelated to the generation as a whole.

I referred to people over 40 and under 30, because that is where the difference was.

I fail to see how responding to your post about mentaliites, in a thread that had nothing to do about mentalities before your post, is me hijacking a thread.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm referring to the people who get mental health issues as a result of their financial stressors, because that's what I have the most contact with. I'm avoiding referring to the people that had already-existent mental health issues. And I was referring to the mentalities, based on the struggling people whom I've come in contact with, what the mentality is that caused each.

As you pointed out, you were discussing generational mentalities. So you're individual finances may differ from the general mentality. If we're talking about individuals; my fiancee and I both make okay money, I have enough stored for about half a year if I needed to, and she has enough stored for over a year for us to get by if needed. I do not live above my means, and the only debt I have is remaining student loans that's almost fully paid off. But I didn't mention that because my own situation is unrelated to the generation as a whole.

I referred to people over 40 and under 30, because that is where the difference was.

I fail to see how responding to your post about mentaliites, in a thread that had nothing to do about mentalities before your post, is me hijacking a thread.
Because you specifically said 'mental health ' which has it own set of connotations.

Status
Not open for further replies.