Consistency over Intensity

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought this was an informative video :).

Definitely an approach I'm leaning more into nowadays.. After years and years of training "all out" in every session (not only in martial arts but weightlifting), it takes its toll. Their whole couple of hours interview is on the podcast video but there are little sectioned vids for those interested.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It always fun listening to joe podcast, not always agree, even sometimes infuriated by his limiting perspective on certain area, but knowledgeable in another area...
Anyway his last several podcasts with firas and gsp really fun and informative.
As this certain podcast, it somehow reminds me of a zen story:
Code:
A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, "I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it." The teacher's reply was casual, "Ten years." Impatiently, the student answered, "But I want to master it faster than that. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, ten or more hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?" The teacher thought for a moment, "20 years."

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It always fun listening to joe podcast, not always agree, even sometimes infuriated by his limiting perspective on certain area, but knowledgeable in another area...
Anyway his last several podcasts with firas and gsp really fun and informative.
As this certain podcast, it somehow reminds me of a zen story:
Code:
A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, "I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it." The teacher's reply was casual, "Ten years." Impatiently, the student answered, "But I want to master it faster than that. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, ten or more hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?" The teacher thought for a moment, "20 years."

Hahaha ah that's very apt XD, love that one.

Yeah am not the biggest fan but some of the interviews have been dynamite. I do enjoy hard training, but I'm pulling back more and realising its toll. Knowing when it has a time and place is something I think we all can develop over time and experience and in getting to know our bodies (which can have vastly different tolerances).

What he said about not being sore is something I was told awhile ago, that in progressing training you shouldn't be sore (if you're sore you've overdone it). Not entirely sure if it's true but I understand what it's getting at. I do still enjoy the sore feeling however ;)

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Soreness after training is ok, but after a good night sleep is not ok to still feel sore, you should wake up feeling great, just like firas said.

So sometimes when i passed my limit in fun-training, in order to relax my muscle, just before sleeping i pour some muscle relaxant herbal liquid all over my body, so the next day i won't be sore anymore.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Soreness after training is ok, but after a good night sleep is not ok to still feel sore, you should wake up feeling great, just like firas said.

So sometimes when i passed my limit in fun-training, in order to relax my muscle, just before sleeping i pour some muscle relaxant herbal liquid all over my body, so the next day i won't be sore anymore.

Ah cool, am curious, what herbal liquid is that if you don't mind me asking? I may look into that! Essential oil-related stuff?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has become my approach over time, mostly because overtraining (even minorly) requires so much recovery time now. I still enjoy occasionally training to my limit, whether in running, strength training, bagwork, whatever. I don't think I'm getting more physical benefit from it, but I get a good psychological benefit from making that push from time to time.

Of course, the more fit you are, the more you can do before you get near that exhaustion.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Similar with chinese dit da jow, but no alcohol, traditionally, we put several herbs' oil inside a clay medium then bury it in soil for several years, the longer the better.

But since i don't have the recipe nor the patience to make one i just buy the already made one which is factory made. Much cheaper but also much less potent than the original.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
As counter point, i bring to you the maniac David Goggins.

his view is that when you think your at 100% or 110 % your really only at 80%.

i fully understand the OPs clip and the views expressed in the interview by Frias. but most of us are not top class athletes and do not work that hard. the danger of the Frias interview is people who are working at 50 % of their ability and capacity, look to it and allow the video to be and excuse, a validation of not doing their best. to be accepting of 50% as their best and not reaching their true potential.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i fully understand the OPs clip and the views expressed in the interview by Frias. but most of us are not top class athletes and do not work that hard. the danger of the Frias interview is people who are working at 50 % of their ability and capacity, look to it and allow the video to be and excuse, a validation of not doing their best. to be accepting of 50% as their best and not reaching their true potential.
Shh...don't give away my excuses.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

people get all it could be more, your only using N % if your potential

the simplest way to assess your train performance is,,, month to month or year to year

1) it's decreasing, which is maybe ok if your older and have,settle for managed,decline, otherwise that's really bad news
2) its staying much the same, again ok, if your content where you are at, other wise do more
3) its improving, which then only leaves the question of if you could improve it faster if you trained harder, which is a big maybe

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Soreness isn't really a bad thing, some people get it more than others, it's not fully explained by science what the actual cause is, , I'm not talking about the first time at the gym,wEnt mad soreness, that's fairly obvious, youve pulled something,( maybe every thing).
more the experienced lifter soreness, I don't get it at all no matter what I do, sometimes a slight sensation in the muscle, never the can't walk down stairs soreness that some people get

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yep, absolutely. I guess contextually I'm referring more to longevity and health rather than progression (even though progression can usually still come through not going 100% every single time).

But I totally get what you mean.

For those who have a mindset of they must be collapsed by the end and push push push every single session, that mindset to me is going to hurt them in the long run.

For those who clearly haven't developed much perseverance and will come up with excuses rather than reasons, it'd very well benefit them to push themselves, and learn how to push through that discomfort.

I guess it's a matter of being honest with ourselves and where we are on the spectrum. I learned how to recognize when I was coming up with excuses within myself, but this eventually led to a long pattern of intense unnecessary pressure on myself, pushing myself to do things, and for the sake of what? I truly learned alot during that period for sure, no doubt about that, but it became a destructive pattern, and didn't foster the ability to listen to myself and that it's truly okay to just rest and not annihilate myself just to prove something.

But yeah in terms of the need to smash yourself in every single session, I see no need.

Ps. Haven't yet watched the vid but I plan to hehe.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Soreness isn't really a bad thing, some people get it more than others, it's not fully explained by science what the actual cause is, , I'm not talking about the first time at the gym,wEnt mad soreness, that's fairly obvious, youve pulled something,( maybe every thing).
more the experienced lifter soreness, I don't get it at all no matter what I do, sometimes a slight sensation in the muscle, never the can't walk down stairs soreness that some people get
It is actually proven and explained by science. And no, it’s not a lactic acid build up like previously thought and still spouted by people.

It’s caused by the inflammatory response. When you work out, you tear down muscles. They heal by the inflammatory response and come back stronger. What makes it difficult to move, aside from the soreness itself, is chemical mediators released that block motor nerves to prevent further damage. That why you feel shaky when trying to work through significant soreness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is actually proven and explained by science. And no, it’s not a lactic acid build up like previously thought and still spouted by people.

It’s caused by the inflammatory response. When you work out, you tear down muscles. They heal by the inflammatory response and come back stronger. What makes it difficult to move, aside from the soreness itself, is chemical mediators released that block motor nerves to prevent further damage. That why you feel shaky when trying to work through significant soreness.
The second paragraph in this article says science can not explain doms, I can site a dozen more that says the same
Post-Exercise, Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Counter point, citing scientific studies. Note I haven’t checked his citations...

DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

And I can find more that back that. Perhaps they’re debating why it’s delayed 24-48 hours rather than sooner.
That's just discredited nonsense, it most definitely is not caused by micro tears, Thats not even what you said was the cause above

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I read the title for this I thought it might have been in reference to relaxation in training pathways with accuracy and consistency before attaching intent/intensity into movement.

I notice when practicing a phrase on the piano that if I really relax and reduce overall energy input, it’s easier for me to accurately play the phrase. From there I can add in the dynamics needed to make the expression really musical.

Same with fight training. The “slow is fast” saying y u hear sometimes that refers to slow training leading to faster mastery.

Anyway, maybe for another thread just figured I’d throw that out there in case others went to the same place when they saw the title.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I notice when practicing a phrase on the piano that if I really relax and reduce overall energy input, it’s easier for me to accurately play the phrase. From there I can add in the dynamics needed to make the expression really musical.

Ah yep I find that on piano too, and how I taught it to my students :). Very hard to play properly when you're overly tense and smashing the keys!

Still a valid point and relevant, cheers for bringing it up. Often relaxing through training reduces overall expenditure and allows for better accuracy with technique and ability to train harder and longer. Even for effective power generation relaxation is so important!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's just discredited nonsense, it most definitely is not caused by micro tears, Thats not even what you said was the cause above
Not what I said above? I know you’ve got issues with reading comprehension, but come on.

What the article said...
“DOMS is caused by myofibril tears (muscle strains). The microtrauma results in an inflammatory response with intramuscular fluid and electrolyte shifts.”

What I said...
“When you work out, you tear down muscles. They heal by the inflammatory response and come back stronger.”

“Myofibril tears” are muscle tears. Myofribrils are the functional units of muscles. A strain is tearing of the muscles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not what I said above? I know you’ve got issues with reading comprehension, but come on.

What the article said...
“DOMS is caused by myofibril tears (muscle strains). The microtrauma results in an inflammatory response with intramuscular fluid and electrolyte shifts.”

What I said...
“When you work out, you tear down muscles. They heal by the inflammatory response and come back stronger.”

“Myofibril tears” are muscle tears. Myofribrils are the functional units of muscles. A strain is tearing of the muscles.
No not What you said above, you said it tears( down the muscle, there's no doubt that tears in the muscle cause pain, but a tear and a micro tear are not at all the same thing a micro tear, is a thousand times smaller, for a start,
Tears are unusual And can be caused by doing some really excessive, micro tears happen all day every day when ever you move.

That said the rest is wrong as well muscles with tears or indeed micro tears are not stronger When they recover, increases in strength come from improvements in the nervous system, not do tears or micro tears play any significant part in increases the muscle size.

The whole micro tears leads to Doms has been debuDone just as it's latic, acid has, every one who exercises gets micro tears not every one gets doms, to the same level of even at all