Me Teaching Students

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought I would try something different and show a video of me teaching 2 students during a Sunday session. Our Sunday sessions are for individual training but every now and then students join me when I train. On this day I was planning to train my Parry for 2 hours, but they joined me since it's basics.

I recorded the training so that they could have a reference video to look at when they are at home training. Maybe some of this will be useful to someone here. The video will be up for a limited time.

Here's what you'll see. (edit) I do the short "WC shuffle" in this video. It's really not WC it was just that I spoke about being able to shuffle in a narrow stance similar to a WC stance (I think it was in a Wing Chun footwork discussion).
  • Lead hand parry in detail
  • Connection of Power (seen but not discussed)
  • Issues related to the lead hand parry
  • Countering (but not discussed)
  • Lead hand parry drills
Feel free to comment, ask questions, challenge teaching methods, etc. Just keep in mind that this is an informal class. Also keep in mind that this video wasn't edited to be one of those clean cut instructional videos on youtube. I just wanted people to experience a little of how I train and teach as you would if you were in the class.

There are some abrupt cuts in the video because I had to get the video down to 15 minutes (youtube requirement, didn't want to verify my account for longer play time). One more thing. The pad being used is actually for kicking and it's a hard pad so all of the energy from a punch travels through that pad with no problem. I could literally spend a week just discussing and teaching the lead hand parry.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought I would try something different and show a video of me teaching 2 students during a Sunday session. Our Sunday sessions are for individual training but every now and then students join me when I train. On this day I was planning to train my Parry for 2 hours, but they joined me since it's basics.

I recorded the training so that they could have a reference video to look at when they are at home training. Maybe some of this will be useful to someone here. The video will be up for a limited time.

Here's what you'll see. (edit) I do the short "WC shuffle" in this video. It's really not WC it was just that I spoke about being able to shuffle in a narrow stance similar to a WC stance (I think it was in a Wing Chun footwork discussion).
  • Lead hand parry in detail
  • Connection of Power (seen but not discussed)
  • Issues related to the lead hand parry
  • Countering (but not discussed)
  • Lead hand parry drills
Feel free to comment, ask questions, challenge teaching methods, etc. Just keep in mind that this is an informal class. Also keep in mind that this video wasn't edited to be one of those clean cut instructional videos on youtube. I just wanted people to experience a little of how I train and teach as you would if you were in the class.

There are some abrupt cuts in the video because I had to get the video down to 15 minutes (youtube requirement, didn't want to verify my account for longer play time). One more thing. The pad being used is actually for kicking and it's a hard pad so all of the energy from a punch travels through that pad with no problem. I could literally spend a week just discussing and teaching the lead hand parry.
ive often wondered why you train in a bowling alley?

seriously i like watching your training vids, post more

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ive often wondered why you train in a bowling alley?

seriously i like watching your training vids, post more
lol.. yeah the room is a little tight. Thanks. I have a couple more that I think I can show.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it JGW. When you say “move in”, are you talking about driving power from the step in?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like it JGW. When you say “move in”, are you talking about driving power from the step in?
Yes. that's correct. There's actually 2 parts to the power.
  • The step in (actually shuffle).
  • The first is the step in and the second is the "locking the arm in position" It's not a full on lock with straight elbows, you still want the arm bent but in a locked position where the arm and the shoulder are lock. You are basically turning the arm into a battering ram.
In my mind it's "move into /move in" the target vs "move to" the target. Or like a 50 lb weight dropped on my finger from 3 inches away. The weight doesn't move to the target it move into the target. It continues movement into the target until there is enough resistance to stop it.

"Step in" means that all of your body weight isn't moving forward, some of it is still being supported by the leg still on the ground. Shuffle means that all of the weight (or the majority of it 90% or more) is off the ground for a short moment. The more the body comes off the ground the more energy is needed to lift vs moving forward. Similar concept as lifting heavy furniture just enough to scoot it into position. For example, heavy furniture on carpet.

The goal is to get as much of the energy into the target. You know when you get it right because you can see their body whip from the impact. I actually had to keep one foot on the ground in an effort to take some of the weight from crashing into the female student.

The other nice thing about it, is that it works like a car accident. I refer to it as smashing the baby against the windshield of a car when the are suddenly stops and causes the baby to fly forward. I don't say it to be funny, but to use as an accurate description of the force involved. She quick shuffle forward send everything forward. The sudden stop of the forward movement sends the weight and the fist forward.+ whatever energy you put into the punch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. that's correct. There's actually 2 parts to the power.
  • The step in (actually shuffle).
  • The first is the step in and the second is the "locking the arm in position" It's not a full on lock with straight elbows, you still want the arm bent but in a locked position where the arm and the shoulder are lock. You are basically turning the arm into a battering ram.
In my mind it's "move into /move in" the target vs "move to" the target. Or like a 50 lb weight dropped on my finger from 3 inches away. The weight doesn't move to the target it move into the target. It continues movement into the target until there is enough resistance to stop it.

"Step in" means that all of your body weight isn't moving forward, some of it is still being supported by the leg still on the ground. Shuffle means that all of the weight (or the majority of it 90% or more) is off the ground for a short moment. The more the body comes off the ground the more energy is needed to lift vs moving forward. Similar concept as lifting heavy furniture just enough to scoot it into position. For example, heavy furniture on carpet.

The goal is to get as much of the energy into the target. You know when you get it right because you can see their body whip from the impact. I actually had to keep one foot on the ground in an effort to take some of the weight from crashing into the female student.

The other nice thing about it, is that it works like a car accident. I refer to it as smashing the baby against the windshield of a car when the are suddenly stops and causes the baby to fly forward. I don't say it to be funny, but to use as an accurate description of the force involved. She quick shuffle forward send everything forward. The sudden stop of the forward movement sends the weight and the fist forward.+ whatever energy you put into the punch.
That is similar to an entering shot I’ve worked on over time. I don’t teach it (yet), but the power delivery concept is the same. It’s a favorite of mine against tall guys who depend too much on their height.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is similar to an entering shot I’ve worked on over time. I don’t teach it (yet), but the power delivery concept is the same. It’s a favorite of mine against tall guys who depend too much on their height.
Have you gotten it down to where you can teach it? I know it takes time to workout some of the "nuts and bolts" when working on applications and methods that are learned but not "taught from the book."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you gotten it down to where you can teach it? I know it takes time to workout some of the "nuts and bolts" when working on applications and methods that are learned but not "taught from the book."
I haven’t. It doesn’t fit cleanly into the overall methodology for me yet. When I have some more advanced students, I’ll start passing it along. Maybe then I’ll figure out how to fit it into the core teaching.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven’t. It doesn’t fit cleanly into the overall methodology for me yet. When I have some more advanced students, I’ll start passing it along. Maybe then I’ll figure out how to fit it into the core teaching.
Can you describe how you are using it? I may have some incorrect ideas about how to apply it as related to your system, but it may give you a spark by hearing a different perspective even if it is wrong.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you describe how you are using it? I may have some incorrect ideas about how to apply it as related to your system, but it may give you a spark by hearing a different perspective even if it is wrong.
For me, it’s mostly something I use when I slip to the outside on an overzealous attack from someone taller. Their height only matters because it makes it easy for me to slip in toward their shoulder, where that strike finds ribs. It’s actually quite similar to what you are showing the students in the video. Taller makes it easier, because I stay taller than ou do. And because I like hitting big guys in the ribs.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me, it’s mostly something I use when I slip to the outside on an overzealous attack from someone taller. Their height only matters because it makes it easy for me to slip in toward their shoulder, where that strike finds ribs. It’s actually quite similar to what you are showing the students in the video. Taller makes it easier, because I stay taller than ou do. And because I like hitting big guys in the ribs.
What type of attack do you slip on? linear jab? Does your rear hand strike the ribs or does your lead hand strike the ribs?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This technique is the 1st move of the 1st form in the preying mantis system. The stance may be different but the principle is the same. I don't like to punch on the body. I like to punch on the head instead. Old Chinese saying said, "If you don't punch on your opponent's head, you may have to fight him from sun raise until sen set."

The interested thing is, when you use your palm to block on your opponent's elbow joint, the

- striking art will let your "tiger mouth" to face toward yourself.
- throwing art will let your "tiger mouth" to face toward your opponent.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This technique is the 1st move of the 1st form in the preying mantis system. The stance may be different but the principle is the same. I don't like to punch on the body. I like to punch on the head instead. Old Chinese saying said, "If you don't punch on your opponent's head, you may have to fight him from sun raise until sen set."

The interested thing is, when you use your palm to block on your opponent's elbow joint, the

- striking art will let your "tiger mouth" to face toward yourself.
- throwing art will let your "tiger mouth" to face toward your opponent.
Not sure what techniques you are executing with the "Tiger mouth" for the strike and throw

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure what techniques you are executing with the "Tiger mouth" for the strike and throw
Tiger mouth is the space between thumb and index finger.

In you clip, you are using a vertical palm to block on your opponent's elbow joint with "tiger mouth" facing toward yourself.

In throwing art, you turn your "tiger mouse" toward your opponent for better arm control.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

In you clip, you are using a vertical palm to block on your opponent's elbow joint with "tiger mouth" facing toward yourself.

In throwing art, you turn your "tiger mouse" toward your opponent for better arm control.

Thanks. the second video made it clear about the technique you were referring to. It was confusing to me because I was trying to picture the grabbing technique from the parry and I couldn't visualize it.

Thanks for the reference for the Tiger's mouth as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of attack do you slip on? linear jab? Does your rear hand strike the ribs or does your lead hand strike the ribs?
It’s a rear hand for this. And yeah, most likely an over-reaching jab. I do a decent job of keeping some folks at the edge of their range to encourage those.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In our grappling, we are more likely to have the tiger mouth facing us, like a striker. The vertical push block he showed is much the same as we use.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feel free to comment, ask questions, challenge teaching methods, etc.

Thanks for posting! I am not an expert and I do not want to criticize what you are teaching. Here is my gut reaction. Without further information that might change my mind, I don't like this drill, and here's why.

The assumption in this drill is the attacker will not unleash their other hand when their lead is parried. The strike to the abdomen along with the parry may serve to stop them from throwing it, but I am thinking it would not; in fact it would trigger it. And there your face is, leaning in to deliver the abdomen shot. Both your arms are committed and crossing each other; no quick resetting of blocks from that.

As we always see in discussions of this type, now is the part where I say what *I* would do, right? So, here it is...and please take it with a grain of salt, I am not a master.

Same scenario, incoming lead or jab with the right, I parry with my left. I would use body shifting to get slightly outside, and it looks like you're doing that. However, instead of leaning in to deliver a straight punch to the abdomen, I would change hands. I would use the right to reach up and grasp the now-parried punching hand at the wrist, and jerk it down and hard to my belt on the right side. I continue my sidestep movement to the left, which I started when the punch began to come at me, and I squat kick him in whatever presents itself.

This does several things. First, if I change hands correctly (and this is not the easiest skill to master, but it does work), he is now off-balance. I am further away from his power hand, which he held in reserve when he threw his lead. My face is not in range of his punches at all. And my arms are not crossed; I can easily throw up more blocks, deliver punches, etc. And I'm in motion away from the attacker; if the kick fails, I am off to his right and moving away rapidly. I'm also to his side or even back depending on how deep and fast I step; now I can attack the backs of his legs with kicks and drive him to the ground if I must.

Personally, I prefer to be inside rather than outside when fighting, but this is a self-defense tactic; to stop the punch, deliver a counter, and get away.

The main difference here is I augment the brush block you are showing with a change of hands to a grasp of the attacker's lead wrist.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
nice technique. not sure if your actually working a technique or a principal but i do something similar. the difference is, (in my version the attack is lower not a face strike) my forward guard hand is not a soft parry, but rather the elbow and shoulder lock down making the arm ridged and i drive in more and rotate the hips. so its a more forceful deflection. besides the normal punch, this allows me to use a palm up punch to the ribs like a upper cut or if i get even closer i can do an elbow to the ribs. i am moving to the outside of the person and the strike is an opening for me to take the persons back.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The assumption in this drill is the attacker will not unleash their other hand when their lead is parried. The strike to the abdomen along with the parry may serve to stop them from throwing it, but I am thinking it would not; in fact it would trigger it. And there your face is, leaning in to deliver the abdomen shot. Both your arms are committed and crossing each other; no quick resetting of blocks from that.
Tried to make this short but there's a lot of details that make this parry effective.

I think I know what part in the video you are talking about. If you are talking about the parry to the inside of the arm then you are correct. In this session I just wanted them to parry with the correct motion without having to think about which arm they should parry. It's was important for them to get that parry to turn the body a little for that same reason. The woman in the video has a problem of doing a "parry tap" which means that it doesn't move that striking hand much.

The way to use apply this technique is to use it against a lead hand Jab, when in open stance (mirror stance) or to use it against a rear hand power shot (closed stance). If the parry is done correctly then the parry will protect you from being hit.

The parry has 3 things that make it effective.
  • The force of the parry - This should be strong enough to push the punch into the punching lane of the other hand.
  • The direction of the parry -The parry is done at a 45 degree angle vs a 90 degree across the body.
  • The angle of the body when doing the parry. -The body steps off center of the jab, so if you do miss you won't get hit or the hit won't land solid.
We have a drill where we throw 2 fast jabs and use this parry. The end result is that the attacker ends up punching their own hand or punches off balance. When the defender counters with the strike, then they are striking at the same time as the parry is happening which is before a second punch attempt. Moving off center means that the attacker still has to punch in a new direction to hit you which is now more across his body than in front of his body. Stepping off center naturally means that a person has to punch more to the left or to the right. When the parry is done correctly this increases greatly because the parry will turn the body. I would feel comfortable with letting you try to jab me as hard as you can with multiple punches.

The students knew this from a previous class, but in this session there was no need to discuss that part since they weren't able to get the parry correct. Getting the parry wrong means getting hit in the face so anything after that is just irrelevant and not important. If you notice when the woman parries my arm, I don't move. Had I thrown a real punch she would have been hit in the face, especially if she doesn't step off center. If the jab has a little curve to it, then she would get hit.

I've noticed that 45 degree movements are the most efficient movement in Martial arts. For example, If I parry your arm 90 degrees across your body, then only one direction is countering your punch. If I parry at a 45 degree then your punch is being countered by 2 directions, upwards at a 45 degree and across your body at 45 degrees. By parrying your arm at a 45 degree angle, I'm also slowing your punch down and changing the angle and distance that you need to pull your arm back. A regular jab goes straight forward and straight back. A parried jab goes straight forward, travels to the left or right first, then it is pulled back.

The lead hand parry is a good beginners parry because it can also be used to pin a punch or a guard. The key is in the proximity of the lead hand. When setting up the lead hand my goal is of my hand to be close to the beginning of your punch vs, parrying at the end of your punch. This gives me a bigger timing window, so even if I'm late in reacting to a punch my hand is still there to interfere with the punch. If I try to parry at the end of a jab then I have to be exactly on time because too soon or too late will get me hit in the face. With the lead hand, if I'm too soon then I'll pin that the jabbing arm so my opponent can't punch with it. If I'm too late then I continue the motion because it will still move the jab.

Latest Discussions