Me Teaching Students

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However, instead of leaning in to deliver a straight punch to the abdomen, I would change hands. I would use the right to reach up and grasp the now-parried punching hand at the wrist, and jerk it down and hard to my belt on the right side. I continue my sidestep movement to the left, which I started when the punch began to come at me, and I squat kick him in whatever presents itself.

That's an option. I like when other techniques and possibilities are shared

We have a similar technique but it uses one hand to parry and then pull. In that particular technique it's not a parry as much as a redirect. It requires different movements and a different way to bait that punch. For us that would be an advanced level technique. To this day, I'm still not able to do that particular technique that is similar to what you describe. The parry punch is is faster and easier to do. Both are good techniques and if someone can pull off the technique that you speak of then they will be able to layout more punishment. Which is why I'm still trying to figure how to execute the grabbing technique that is similar to what you described.

Step 1: Parry + Punch

The technique that you are talking about
Step 1: Redirect
Step 2: Grab
Step 3: Do available technique.

This is a rear hand parry which in my opinion is more advanced than the lead hand parry. The guy teaching is my Sifu. He talks about the danger that you are talking about in terms of getting punched. The techniques are slightly different but the principle is the same.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
nice technique. not sure if your actually working a technique or a principal but i do something similar.
It started out as working a technique. The students got it wrong, so I had to break the technique apart and work on the principals of why the parry had to be done the way that I was explaining. If students get the first part of a technique or the core part of a technique wrong, then I will break down the technique and try to get them to understand the important of their error. Sometimes they listen and sometimes they get punched in the face (during sparring) because they don't trust in the technique and feel that they need to do something in addition to make it work. I think this is a problem with most kung fu students regardless of the skill level. That feeling that something should be altered or added in order to make it work. The "Why it works" is more complex than the "How to do it."

in my version the attack is lower not a face strike) my forward guard hand is not a soft parry, but rather the elbow and shoulder lock down making the arm ridged and i drive in more and rotate the hips. so its a more forceful deflection. besides the normal punch, this allows me to use a palm up punch to the ribs like a upper cut or if i get even closer i can do an elbow to the ribs. i am moving to the outside of the person and the strike is an opening for me to take the persons back
I would like to see this if you have a video of it or know of a video on YouTube that shows it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an option. I like when other techniques and possibilities are shared

We have a similar technique but it uses one hand to parry and then pull. In that particular technique it's not a parry as much as a redirect. It requires different movements and a different way to bait that punch. For us that would be an advanced level technique. To this day, I'm still not able to do that particular technique that is similar to what you describe. The parry punch is is faster and easier to do. Both are good techniques and if someone can pull off the technique that you speak of then they will be able to layout more punishment. Which is why I'm still trying to figure how to execute the grabbing technique that is similar to what you described.

Step 1: Parry + Punch

The technique that you are talking about
Step 1: Redirect
Step 2: Grab
Step 3: Do available technique.

This is a rear hand parry which in my opinion is more advanced than the lead hand parry. The guy teaching is my Sifu. He talks about the danger that you are talking about in terms of getting punched. The techniques are slightly different but the principle is the same.
Interesting. To me (in my use) rear-hand and lead-hand parry are the same. The difference is inside or outside. I’m more focused in my position relative to them after the party.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting. To me (in my use) rear-hand and lead-hand parry are the same. The difference is inside or outside. I’m more focused in my position relative to them after the party.
What do you do when you parry inside a strike vs outside?