confused

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I guess, if one has time to attend a seminar, then they have less time to train at their school. As if they are saying "my school/teacher is good, but I have to learn more at this event cause they are not good enough?
I disagree, I believe that seminars can be very beneficial. These functions are good to go to keep an open mind and be introduced to different methods that are out there or just expanding on knowledge from a person more experienced in your own system.

They can also be used as a comparison as to what you are learning in your home studio. I have personally come away from many a seminar thanking the higher power for the personal teachers and system that I have had and have, it gave me a new appreciation for what and who I have trained with.

I never went to a seminar (or returned from one) thinking that my instruction "was not good enough". I did however, learn new ideas and differences as to how and what different people use as training drills, exercises, and philosophy.

All part of the "process" and chalk it all up to experience and exposure.

Remember, everything is useful...... if the seminar was really terrible .... you could still use it as a bad example...... LOL :ultracool

:asian:

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I disagree, I believe that seminars can be very beneficial. These functions are good to go to keep an open mind and be introduced to different methods that are out there or just expanding on knowledge from a person more experienced in your own system.

They can also be used as a comparison as to what you are learning in your home studio. I have personally come away from many a seminar thanking the higher power for the personal teachers and system that I have had and have, it gave me a new appreciation for what and who I have trained with.

I never went to a seminar (or returned from one) thinking that my instruction "was not good enough". I did however, learn new ideas and differences as to how and what different people use as training drills, exercises, and philosophy.

Remember, everything is useful...... if the seminar was really terrible .... you could still use it as a bad example...... LOL :ultracool

I would also like to add, sir, that after the seminars I have attended, I have always had the "ping" feeling, as if an alternative explanation made the bricks fall into place

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
I would also like to add, sir, that after the seminars I have attended, I have always had the "ping" feeling, as if an alternative explanation made the bricks fall into place
Agreed!:) That too happens!!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:

Kudos on the last line. but every seminar i walked away from I did so with a empty wallet and empty knowledge.

But, hey, please do not misconsture this as my gospel on not to attend.

And this phrase;
I guess, if one has time to attend a seminar, then they have less time to train at their school. As if they are saying "my school/teacher is good, but I have to learn more at this event cause they are not good enough?
I am paraphrase/quoting from friend on another debate with this subject.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Kudos on the last line. but every seminar i walked away from I did so with a empty wallet and empty knowledge.

And this phrase;
I think it's unfortunate that you did not get anything out of any of the seminars that you attended. I enjoy the fresh perspective at seminars, and find that I get out of it what I put into it. I think it is my responsibility to take the knowledge that is shown to me at a seminar and incorporate the things that work for me into my training. You need to work the stuff you learn, take notes, and video tape the seminars if you are permitted. If you are not allowed to video tape the presenter, you can video tape yourself doing the things that you learned as soon as you get home, and while they are fresh in your mind.

In terms of the implication that an instructor must not be good if the students need to attend seminars, I think it's just the opposite. I think it's the sign of an excellent teacher who looks to broaden and/or refine the experiences for his/her students. I would never look at this as a negative reflection on my instructor. He is awesome and open to these experiences for his students. Would you only ever read one book on martial arts because that's the one your instructor wrote? Probably not, and I see this as no different. Learning takes place in many arenas. If I can walk away from a seminar having learned at least one useful idea, technique, concept than in my opinion it was worth it. :asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

And this phrase;
Thats sad. I once attended a leglock seminar in a BJJ school and ended up being a regular student there for 3.5 years.

Maybe, before attending, you should do your research.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Nothing wrong with asking an instructor (or potential instructor) who, where, when, and how often. Photos alone don't mean a whole lot (and I am an advocate of taking photos...for your own memories if nothing else!) If the instructor has a number of photos with a big name, obviously over a span of years, in different settings, etc., that adds credibility.
It all comes down to personal integrity. My example- I have attended a handful of seminars with Dan Inosanto over a 10 year span. Can I claim to have studied with him- no; at best I can claim to have spent a few hours studying him. Good time, enhanced my understanding of what I do by means of a different perspective; saw a famous martial artist do his thing. Very positive, but not something on which to base teaching claims!

** The above post got me thinking about the following:

What about the instructors that then teach some seminars and then get all upset because you do not list them on your website as an instructor. For the people (* students *) who are not any good, this would not be an issue, as the seminar instructor would not wish to be associated with them. But there are some out there who will see someone making a push either through skill or marketing and then try to make claims that this person learned their system from them. When in truth it was in only one or two visits this person trained with them or at a seminar.

So is it possible to learn some concept or way of teaching or moving in these seminars that could open your mind, and thereby require you to give credit to the seminar instructor for his/her teachings?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to sound so negative, I havent attended one seminar that gave me anything but take up my time and money..

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Sorry to sound so negative, I havent attended one seminar that gave me anything but take up my time and money..
I just think that sounds unfortunate, not necessarily negative, I have only attended a couple of seminars which I felt were a waste of time and money

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess it could be either I had too much knowledge than that of the seminar...or that the seminar was not advanced enough which perhaps I needed more time tih the promoter/instructor....or I should start my own seminars..:)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not boasting....every seminar that I had attended were a rip off to me....I guess close to 40 years experience and 8 styles/systems later, must account for something.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Hey, I'm not boasting....every seminar that I had attended were a rip off to me....I guess close to 40 years experience and 8 styles/systems later, must account for something.
I wasn't accusing, sorry if it came across that way, and I would have thought that after 40 years of experience and 8 systems it would narrow down the scope of what you needed to take from a seminar as well.:asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
I wasn't accusing, sorry if it came across that way, and I would have thought that after 40 years of experience and 8 systems it would narrow down the scope of what you needed to take from a seminar as well.:asian:
Yes, I wasnt implying that you were implying anything. I am still learning, but a seminar is not the way to go for me. I guess because of the short time that they run 'em.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I think it is great that you still want to learn even after so much time in. (Not an age-ist joke by the way)
I hope you find what you are looking for though.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am really not "looking" per se'. But when something comes around that stirs my curiousity, I will check it out.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Curiousity Killed The Cat"...

but

"Satisfaction Brought Him Back"

"8 More Lives He Had Packed"

So I will still have the curiousity. :)

Latest Discussions