Confused

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a question,or two,

Does participating in a seminar count as trainning with a Instructor?

What about taking photos with the presenter (master) of the seminar?

My questions arose after seaching the net, and seeing the claims of a school owner, as to who he has trained with, knowing in one case ,we only spent 1.5 hours there!

Picture opportunities came up dose this vailidate his claim?
or is it just a way to self promote, and give regonition to endose such claims?

your thoughts??
cheers

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would personally not count a seminar as actually training with an instructor.

As far as pictures go, the event organizer should make it clear if pictures are
allowed or not. Some Masters don't like doing the picture thing because people
will make claims and use the photos as "proof".

Using seminars to boost your training lineage is, to me, a warning sign.
People are going to try to deceive no matter what, all you can do is do your
research, ask questions and avoid schools/instructors that try to fool you into
thinking they are something they're not.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hammer said:
Just a question,or two,

Does participating in a seminar count as trainning with a Instructor?

What about taking photos with the presenter (master) of the seminar?

My questions arose after seaching the net, and seeing the claims of a school owner, as to who he has trained with, knowing in one case ,we only spent 1.5 hours there!

Picture opportunities came up dose this vailidate his claim?
or is it just a way to self promote, and give regonition to endose such claims?

your thoughts??
cheers
Some people do take pictures at events and seminars to "give the impression" that they may know someone better than they do. Not all but some people we deceive you.

For the seminars. Dan Inosanto teaches around the world as do many others. Their "common formula" for "crediting seminars" the counting of the actual training hours.

An example. I know a couple of people, 1 with 15 hours of seminar hours under Dan Inosanto and 1 with 45 hours under Dan Inosanto.

The first with 15 hours is a recognizable student of Dan and the second is an advanced student of Dan. 45 seminar hours takes several years to accomplish.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just had to deal with this about 2 or 3 weeks ago. One of my students/friends emailed me and asked me why I hadn't mentioned that I was teaching one of the Kempo school owners about 30 minutes from my school. [I didn't realize I was teaching this guy as he only took one class from me during the summer.]

Sure enough he had me listed on his website as one of his instructors.
I emailed him and asked him to justify his statement about me being his instructor. He took me off his site.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. You deal with it and move on.

-John

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
#1. We had the same thing happen to us. First of all, I would take it as a compliment. If that isn't enough, go to #2.

#2. I would say, he only had x amount of time with us and just that little bit was enough to make him such and such but if you want the real thing, come over and see me.

If I had a problem, I would rent a place in that area where the offending instructor is and place ads regarding a seminar. "Always imitated but never quite the same. Come and get the real thing!"

But seriously, you probably did the right thing. :asian:

As for seminar training in general, it is especially good for advanced students to open their eyes to new ideas. However, I think one should go beyond mere seminars to build an instructor/student relationship. One needs to see how the instructor teaches classes (notice I said classes as in PLURAL). After all, many seminar attendees are instructors who will later decompress the material in a class setting. In addition to seminars and classes, private training is key. In a seminar setting, one cannot get the tailored instruction that private training provides.

Regards,

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets say that after 4 months of training, 3 hours a week, you get promoted to Yellow Belt. That was 48 hours of training, not counting home practice. Just to be a Yellow Belt.

So how could you claim to be a student of someone after a 3 hour seminar?. Or even worse, to be qualified to teach something you learned in a 3 hour seminar? :idunno:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that there are "learning curves" for all, whether in a weekly class or a seminar setting. The whitebelt students learning abilities are much lower than a black belts. In the 48 hour scenario an advanced student would attain more than the beginner.

And the beginner is generally going to learn beginner material while the advanced will probably be learning more advanced material. If the beginner is advanced in another system, then they may be able to learn at an excellerated pace.

One thing that does set the class and seminar apart is in a weekly class (with proper attendance), the average student after 4 months (or 48 hours) will only be exposed to a small portion of the system being taught.

In a seminar setting, it can be assumed that the attendees are seeking advanced knowledge.

Whether someone can be certified in that short of time makes me wonder. But a simple equation of 52 weeks times 2 (1 hr.) classes equals 104 hours and multiplying that by 4 years comes up with 416 training hours.

So if we set the bar at 400 training hours and the student had 50 seminar hours in, then the instructor needs to be able to tell if the student actually trained the other 350 hours.

P.S.
I'm working a similar program with two of students who are in Southern California. It is a learning process.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Lets say that after 4 months of training, 3 hours a week, you get promoted to Yellow Belt. That was 48 hours of training, not counting home practice. Just to be a Yellow Belt.

So how could you claim to be a student of someone after a 3 hour seminar?. Or even worse, to be qualified to teach something you learned in a 3 hour seminar? :idunno:
Doesn't sound like you would like Krav Maga.
Sean

Latest Discussions