Confucian Principles

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
As a Taekwondoin, how close do you adhere to Confucian principles?

If not, why? If so, do you find it easy, or difficult to do so?

Are there benefits to adhering or not adhering to Confucian principles, both inside and outside of the Taekwondo world?

Thank you

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a Taekwondoin, how close do you adhere to Confucian principles?

If not, why? If so, do you find it easy, or difficult to do so?

Are there benefits to adhering or not adhering to Confucian principles, both inside and outside of the Taekwondo world?

Thank you

Within the context of work, personal life and martial arts life, yes, I try to always follow confucian principles. Sometimes it is difficult. But if everyone followed confucian principles, at least within the context of the martial arts, then things would go a lot smoother for everyone.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I adhere fairly closely to them because they align with the way I was raised except for the more western reservation of resistance to social mores with which I disagree. I suspect that difference is common in our much younger and more heterogeneous culture (or mix of cultures).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let Me put it this way: I dont know what any of the Confucian Principles are, and barely knew They existed.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe I follow them, although it is only my understanding of Confucian principles. I probably would not measure up to the ideals that many of the old Koreans adhere to.. .

It's all in the details, and there are many subtleties that I'm sure that I am missing or do not understand. But I try to learn and apply as much as I can.

I would say that the one aspect of Confucianism that I do not follow is the relationship between my wife and I. We treat one another equally (which certainly has it's own set of arguments), and I am positive that she would beat me over the head if I ever asserted that she act as a Confucian wife!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As an instructor and school owner, I strongly believe in the concept of the Junzi (Gentleman). Something that many of us have learned, although it may have not been pointed out as a Confucian ideal. To lead by example, recognize and revere the responsibility of the role. Cultivate the moral character. Practice appropriate filial piety and loyalty. Foster benevolence. All of these attributes make a great instructor.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you know the exact translation of the Chinese characters that appear in your MT avatar/icon symbol? If so, what do they translate to?

I dont, actually. A friend of mine had it on His Computer and I thought it looked cool :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let Me put it this way: I dont know what any of the Confucian Principles are, and barely knew They existed.
Im the same. Where I train they are very big on respect, manners, honesty, modesty, and basically being a good human being. If they are confucian pinciples, then yes, we do adhere to them, but they are not taught to us as 'confucian principles'.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My answer would be like a few others "not knowingly". I've never been taught about confucianism. I'm aware of it having levels of respect (for seniors and juniors in all relationships), but that's about it. I try to do that, however I treat seniors with more respect and often treat juniors as my equal rather than juniors (which as I understand it actually may come across as disrespectful to seniors if they see it because I should be levelling respect appropriately both ways). But I'm not sure.

One of these days I'd like to read more about it, but for the moment my brain/spare time is fully booked :)

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By respecting those who have come before me, and keeping in mind that I practice for the utility of protecting my family.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am just starting to get a better understanding of Confucianism through my studies, but I believe by practicing Taekwondo as the pioneers and my seniors have taught it, then yes, I do practice Confucianism in my martial arts. The reason why I say this is that the vast majority of Korean culture is built on Confucianism. It would be very difficult for Taekwondo to be developed without any influence of Confucianism being interjected.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
不動心 is “no action in the mind”
刀 is “blade”
忠 is “devoted”
武 is “martial”

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I did TKD I most certainly did not follow Confucian Principles because I did not know what they were and since Confucius is Chinese and TKD is Korean I never gave the association any thought, although I do not doubt there could be one due to the intermingling of various East Asian Philosophies and religions. But I am wondering in this thread if anyone really knows what Confucian Principles are as well.

So let me ask this; What Confucian principles do you follow or what Confucian Principles are you talking about?

Are you talking about those form "the Analects" or "Great Learning", "Doctrine of Means", "Mencius" or etc.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am just starting to get a better understanding of Confucianism through my studies, but I believe by practicing Taekwondo as the pioneers and my seniors have taught it, then yes, I do practice Confucianism in my martial arts. The reason why I say this is that the vast majority of Korean culture is built on Confucianism. It would be very difficult for Taekwondo to be developed without any influence of Confucianism being interjected.

South Korea is by far the most Confucian culture in the world. Albeit much less so than it was a few generations ago, but still more Confucian than China or Japan.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
When I did TKD I most certainly did not follow Confucian Principles because I did not know what they were and since Confucius is Chinese and TKD is Korean I never gave the association any thought, although I do not doubt there could be one due to the intermingling of various East Asian Philosophies and religions. But I am wondering in this thread if anyone really knows what Confucian Principles are as well.

So let me ask this; What Confucian principles do you follow or what Confucian Principles are you talking about?

Are you talking about those form "the Analects" or "Great Learning", "Doctrine of Means", "Mencius" or etc.

I was asking if *you* follow Confucian principles, or not. That could be of any kind, in part or whole and however you define them. I was not trying to give a definition, that is up to you.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was asking if *you* follow Confucian principles, or not. That could be of any kind, in part or whole and however you define them. I was not trying to give a definition, that is up to you.

I think most Americans have grown up following Confucian principles, which they might not realize. Things like valuing education, respect for parents and teachers, etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Fair enough

I am still wondering how everyone is defining Confucian Principles.. but I will no push this and move along, thanks

Latest Discussions