Color's of Gi's?

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All white until green (except in some cases..eg. I was really uncomfortable in white pants, so I was allowed red at yellow belt..but i've got heavy weight now so i'm back to white) And then Red/white pants or gui top. Black pants for black belts if they wish, our instructors have all white uniforms.
I prefer an all white uniform for patterns and wear the red pants for sparring
Aqua

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
my school has all black from the beginning.

i'd prefer all white, but i bought the studio from somebody else who had all black. frankly, i don't care about color enough to re-engineer it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our school is pretty much open to whatever you want. It is pretty informal, most underbelts wear some gi pants and a t-shirt. The instructors all wear black, so this is often imitated, but you always get the exceptions. We had one guy (about 6'2, 300lbs, not much fat) that dyed his white gi, and it turned out baby blue, which apparently was what he wanted. What are you going to say? :) Personally, I'd like a bit more regulation in the uniforms, but it isn't my call.

Lamont

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black

We used to use blue but there are to many shades of blue so I switched back to black

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have 1 white uniform, 1 black uniform and 1 red top. At that I mix them in whatever mixed configuration I feel like on that day.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From white to purple belt, we wear white uniform. At blue belt, we can switch to blue (smurf blue). At brown belt, we can wear white, blue, or black (full uniform, not mixed). I do have a midnight blue uniform that I bought from Pakistan. Everyone asks about it. I guess they like the midnight blue color better than the smurf blue. The BB instructors are the only ones that can mix their uniforms and can wear any color they wish. One of our other schools does allow for dark red full uniforms for children.

- Ceicei

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, for demo's the red, white and blues combintions always catches my eyes....feels patriotic ....Aloha

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
In my system it was all white until purple belt. Then you had a choice, either all white or all black. at Black Belt you could mix white with black tops and bottoms. The stripes on the Black Belt have to be white for functions. For class it could be what ever, usually red. That is also up to each dojo. Some say red should be for 5th and above, and white only for under that. Others have any color stripes.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
For my TKD school, it's white v-neck until red. When you get to red, you can wear black-collar with white or black pants. Testing and tournaments you are required to always have white pants (people have actually been turned away from testing for not wearing white pants). If you're on the school demo team, you can wear a blue fold-over gi with black or blue pants, but for demos blue with black pants are the standard. Assistant instructors get to wear a red uniform with either red or black pants.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well in Kenpo (or my school at least) we wear white tops and bottoms until we get green belts and progress to the senior class where we all wear all black.

I have seen a lot of very colourful gi's lately, yellow top - black bottom, green and white check, i've seen all red suits, flames coming off the ankles. Crazy stuff. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but plain and simple for me please.