Could I start a Hapkido club for College?

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Would it be possible to start a small martial art club/group (for Hapkido) if you do not yet have a black belt/teaching certification, but several years of experience? As in at college level? I'm close to BB.

I may transfer out of state for my Masters (or sooner), and would like to continue training. I would not expect to progress in rank or progress others, but rather to teach others and keep up on my skills.

I'll have to ask my Instructor if/when the time comes, but as of now it's in the tentative future and not worth bringing up.

P.S.- There are Tae Kwon Do clubs at basically every college I'm looking at. Would the chances be good to find a training partner or two there? May be a good chance to cross train as well!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk to your instructors. They'll tell you whether or not it's OK from the point of view of their administration. Essentially, you'd be looking to start what's often called a training group, an offshoot of their club, run under their supervision. Then, assuming they answer affirmatively, look at the school's requirements to start a club sport there.

Not sure how cooperative the TKD programs might be; some are businesses for a local TKD school, others are true collegiate clubs.

One note: I've got a BB student whom I've encouraged for several years to start a club at his college. He's run into a simple problem of time... Especially as he's moved into his master's program.

Fritz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the yes/no is going to be with the relationship with your teacher or martial arts organization. If you are not at a level where you can teach on your own then can your teacher “sponsor” the club? Maybe could your instructor teach a class once a month at the club and then you work on that material with the club members the rest of the month?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you asking about whether it's okay for you to teach some basic Hapkido to people even though you don't have a black belt, or whether the college will allow you to form a Hapkido club (especially since you don't have any certification)? Those are different questions.

As far as whether the college will allow it, well, you'd have to ask them. They may require that sports clubs are supervised by a certified/qualified instructor, or their liability insurance may not cover grappling-based arts. (One of the insurance companies that we talked to said they would insure Taekwondo but not Hapkido, so that can be a thing.) If those things aren't a problem, I can't think why they wouldn't allow it.

As far as your ability to teach it, I feel like you could probably teach some basics, but you're only going to be able to get them to a certain point. Also, have you led classes before? You might find it more challenging than it looks.

Is there a Hapkido school near your new college? You might be able to finish your black belt through them, and then you'd be more qualified. Or you might be able to get one of their black belts to come out and work with your group once a week or month, and then you can lead the club/class to work on that material at other times. You'd probably have to pay them a little, but I think colleges usually give clubs some money so that shouldn't be a problem.

Dissertating

White Belt
Reaction score
As others have mentioned I think that you if your Hapkido instructor agreed and the school agreed, then sure you can. There is usually a Resident Life (different schools call them different things) office at most schools that handle student clubs and can tell you the requirements to start a club at your school. You could join the TKD club to cross-train and with your background they may want you to do some HKD with them from time to time.

You also don't necessarily have to start a club. You could find other martial artists at the school and just get together to train without being a formal club. The downside is you may not be able to use a dedicated indoor area and end up forced to practice in outdoor areas of the campus. The resident director for my residence hall in undergrad taught Karate to a couple of students on the lawn of the hall. If you went this route though you'd probably want to let campus police/security know what you're up to so they aren't surprised when they get phone calls of people getting thrown all over the place or happen to drive by where you're training.

-D.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Org encourages people to form small clubs in order to practice the material that WE teach.

Latest Discussions