Scholarships

T

TKDKid

My brother is a freshman in highschool and and orange belt in TKD, he'll easily have his black belt before he graduates. Being that I'm a senior in college I can't help but think that he's going to need to start thinking about college soon and I'm thinking it would be great if he could get a martial arts scholarship. Anyone aware of anything that might be available to him?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think there's much...maybe someone has a Judo scholarship? The usual advice here is to take up Fencing if you want a scholarship, I'm afraid.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually he can get a pretty nice chunk of change if only your head instructor will write a letter. My last SiFu has gotten a few students some nice scholarships to whatever place it was they were going

But I actually believe that the schools should be giving credits for this sort of thing anyway. It's alot of time put away to a productive interest and it would make sense for the board of education to recognize that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKDKid said:
My brother is a freshman in highschool and and orange belt in TKD, he'll easily have his black belt before he graduates. Being that I'm a senior in college I can't help but think that he's going to need to start thinking about college soon and I'm thinking it would be great if he could get a martial arts scholarship. Anyone aware of anything that might be available to him?
Well actually there are over 240 University in america that offer scholarships for TKD and have some great programs. I know here in TX there are atleast 10-15 that offer such programs. Go to the USAT website and e-mail them and they can send you a list that have the program in place.
Terry

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I don't think there's much...maybe someone has a Judo scholarship? The usual advice here is to take up Fencing if you want a scholarship, I'm afraid.

In hindsight, I wish I would have known about the fencing thing... could have helped finance some!

Well actually there are over 240 University in america that offer scholarships for TKD and have some great programs. I know here in TX there are atleast 10-15 that offer such programs. Go to the USAT website and e-mail them and they can send you a list that have the program in place.

Thats just too cool! Too bad not alot of other martial arts are that way. Anyone know if some schools sponsor Judo or any other art in this way? Its too late for me now (finishing up in spring), but its quite interesting.

MrH

OP
T

TKDKid

terryl965 said:
Terry

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with USAT and I can't seem to find an appropriate website. Could you give me a bit more information?

Latest Discussions