College tkd demo/sparring teams

scottC

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going to college in about year and was checking out taekwondo clubs. I found some stuff about sparring and a few demo teams, but none of them seemed to be really good. Does anyone know of any schools with good teams? Or even teams that aren't connected to the colleges?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I know Texas A & M has one, so does Baylor, Texas and TCU all of them have great instructors and have a good team and does well at Cooligates every year. What is it exactly you are looking for and what part of the country?

OP
S

scottC

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking mostly at schools in the midwest. University of Illinois, Purdue, stuff like that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been looking mostly at schools in the midwest. University of Illinois, Purdue, stuff like that.

Well I know Master Southwick runs a great program at Michigan state and he is a member here on martial talk.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the issues with Colleges is that you have people who trained at various places suddenly all come together and somehow needing to blend and merge their styles which might vary greatly unlike say basketball for instance.

Then you have the issue of it being non official whicjh means any leader would be gone in a few years.

Perhaps you could / should start one.

U of I at Champaign had several big TKD clubs at one time. Don't know about now.

Han Min Kyo is also in the area. Very "Old School" TKD.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the PAC West schools have good clubs and some even give a small scholarship. Stanford also has a great program. Here is a link the PAC West schools as well as to Stanford.

http://www.pacwest.org/about/about.html

Each school is listed on the left once you go to the link above. Just click on each school icon.

I know many of the people that run each of the programs. Looks like there is no access to the Stanford link so use this link for Stanford's program
http://studentlife42210.orgsync.com/org/stanfordtaekwondo