Cook thinks about nationality switch

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he wanted to hurt the TKD Olympic people going to France would do it big style, becoming American not so much.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aaron is in the USA right now!!!

I think that his entry into TKD in USA would rattle allot of cages that need rattling....

He could compete at AAU until his citizenship situation is cleared...lots of options

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's thinking of becoming French. How smart do you think he is? ;)

Pax,

Chris

Why not? He can get home easily and the French will take him seriously. It will also have the added bonus of it annoying the TKD people in the UK, serve them right too.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I can't blame him for considering this after being "overlooked" for the London 2012 Olympics just, imo, because he wasn't "in" with the selection committee.

TKD is his choosen sport and career choice, how many here wouldn say that they wouldn't do the same thing?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree with this practice. Being a member of a national team should be about representing your country, not personal glory.

If he has legitimate ties to the US or France, well ok, but if not, I think it's a poor practice to trade in your loyalties like that.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree with this practice. Being a member of a national team should be about representing your country, not personal glory.

If he has legitimate ties to the US or France, well ok, but if not, I think it's a poor practice to trade in your loyalties like that.
I could not agree more. Winning gold for a country other than your own must feel hollow for both the athlete and the country. Maybe its an australian thing, but I could never wear anything but the green and gold irrespective of how much my country may have done wrong by me. Its my country, my family, its where I was schooled, where I grew up, where my friends are etc. I personally just couldnt do it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
USA is country full of people who came here because of poor treatment at the hands of their birth country...

Welcome to the good Ole US of A...Mr Cook!!!!! Sorry but your chance of fighting Steven Lopez are nil...He never fights!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However that loyalty must go both ways, he gave up everything for TKD, he borrowed, scrimped and saved to be able to get the best training he could just so he could represent his country, it was all he wanted to do and because of petty people and politics he was denied the chance to represent his country. Having your rival's coach on the selection panel and refusing to chose Cook is hardly fair. Even the British Olympic committee said as much and tried to make them change their mind. I don't see why Cook should stay here and be humiliated again. The TKD people here will never pick him to represent the UK.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
USA is country full of people who came here because of poor treatment at the hands of their birth country...

Welcome to the good Ole US of A...Mr Cook!!!!! Sorry but your chance of fighting Steven Lopez are nil...He never fights!

No doubt about that. If he wants to become an American, I think that's fine. But I don't believe that's the situation.

Also, did he really get treated poorly by his birth country? His NGB rightly or wrongly left him off the national team, but does the NGB= his country?

I'm trying to imagine the conversation in the immigration line.

Immigration officer: why do you want to become an American?

Immigrant: My family is suffering from religious persecution.

Aaron Cook: They wouldn't let me be on the Olympic team.

I'm all for immigration if somebody has a good reason, but this seems like not such a good reason to change nationalities.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
just curious, how long must you live in the USA for to be eligible for citizenship?

Well, the requirements are a bit complicated, but it generally breaks down as follows:

You must be a lawful permanent resident (i.e. have your "green card").
Must have resided in the U.S. for no less than 5 years.
Must not have had an absence from the U.S. for more than one year.
Must have actually been physically in the U.S. for at least 30 of the 60 months of your residency.
Reside in a state for at least 3 months.

You must also have a basic proficiency in English, have a good understanding of U.S. history, and be attached to the principles found in the U.S. Constitution. You must also be a person of good moral character, which means if you're guilty of certain crimes you'll most likely be denied citizenship.

The time requirements can be lessened for those married to U.S. citizens.

Pax,

Chris

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the requirements are a bit complicated, but it generally breaks down as follows:

You must be a lawful permanent resident (i.e. have your "green card").
Must have resided in the U.S. for no less than 5 years.
Must not have had an absence from the U.S. for more than one year.
Must have actually been physically in the U.S. for at least 30 of the 60 months of your residency.
Reside in a state for at least 3 months.

You must also have a basic proficiency in English, have a good understanding of U.S. history, and be attached to the principles found in the U.S. Constitution. You must also be a person of good moral character, which means if you're guilty of certain crimes you'll most likely be denied citizenship.

The time requirements can be lessened for those married to U.S. citizens.

Pax,

Chris
well based on the part "must reside in the country for at least five years", i dont think we will be seeing him fight for the USA at the next olympics unless some strings get pulled.

Latest Discussions