Close them Off vs. Open Them Up

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Japanese term for that spot... it was bugging me all week last week. I could not remember for the life of me what the term is for that. I called JW, but he didn't answer. I called Nick Lowry,a nd he knew what it was I was taking about but he's developing old-timers like me as well, so he suggested I call Patrick Parker. Pat is a good guy, and a great teacher, and Nick considers him to be the encyclopedia of all things Japanese arts.

The term is shikaku, meaning "the dead angle." I don't know if dead angle means if the person is at that angle to you, you're dead, or what, but it seems appropo.
Have never heard the term 'shikau' but the 'dead' angle' I know as being in a position relative to the opponent where it is very difficult for him/her to continue their attack while being easy for you to control their balance or movement. It is more of a tactical principle of positioning rather than a specific position.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have never heard the term 'shikau' but the 'dead' angle' I know as being in a position relative to the opponent where it is very difficult for him/her to continue their attack while being easy for you to control their balance or movement. It is more of a tactical principle of positioning rather than a specific position.
While I agree, I need to ask you if you've found other positions that "fit" besides Gerry's creepy place behind the arm/shoulder?

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Generalized You vs. Opponent scenario, terrain is open and not an issue.

What is your tactical preference between the two choices of:

A) Closing the opponent off from you, meaning you are trying to get behind one of his arms so that you are directed "at" him/her, while he/she is pointed "away" from you; or

B) Opening them up, i.e. getting in between their arms, in the interior position so that you may easily attack their front centerline?

Which do you prefer and why? Oh, and by the way, how do you like to put that into play?

Thanks. Minor research project.

My preference is to go to their outside/back side if possible. Plenty of targets available and I am more of a counter fighter anyways. If you stay to their inside, you increase your chance of getting hit. That and I am a tall guy, so I can take advantage of my limbs reach that way.

I know that my wife is the opposite. She is shorter so she likes to use hit and run tactics by blitzing in to her opponents inside, get a few shots off, and then get out.

Both work and a lot of it has to do with your strong points in relation to your opponents. It also has to do with what strategy makes the most sense in your head.

Reactions: JP3

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generalized You vs. Opponent scenario, terrain is open and not an issue.

What is your tactical preference between the two choices of:

A) Closing the opponent off from you, meaning you are trying to get behind one of his arms so that you are directed "at" him/her, while he/she is pointed "away" from you; or

B) Opening them up, i.e. getting in between their arms, in the interior position so that you may easily attack their front centerline?

Which do you prefer and why? Oh, and by the way, how do you like to put that into play?

Thanks. Minor research project.
That's an easy one. In any system, it is ideal to be where you can hit them but they can't hit you. Outside gate all day long.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
OMG dude, really?

Fine. Here are some specifics so you can go all "Lab" for me.

He's 5'11" and 200 lbs, you know he's got some BJJ but think it's not So good, but you know he's both been in karate for maybe 8 years and has done some amateur boxing with his dad, who used to be really good, when he was a teenager. He's about 32 now and got in a fight with his wife and headed out to the bar to seek out a fight and you happen to run into him in the parking lot and you decided you didn't like his face so now it's "on."

That help?

So, oh wait, he's right handed but because of his dad's influence he prefers to fight southpaw.

So, are you going to get into some theory for me to pass the time or not? Sheesh.... c'mon man.

Right now, I would have to open them up - It's a much stronger trait for me right now than closing them down, but in future when I have more practise closing down this opinion could be completely opposite what it is right now.