Close them Off vs. Open Them Up

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cop out, mano.... What do you "try" to make open? Which way would you move or manipulate to get... where?

I think the reason you are getting a hard time is the answer is always "depends". It's like asking a person if you are playing rock-paper-scissors which do you play? Sometimes its best to get on the inside, other times it's best to get on the outside.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the reason you are getting a hard time is the answer is always "depends". It's like asking a person if you are playing rock-paper-scissors which do you play? Sometimes its best to get on the inside, other times it's best to get on the outside.

Sissors.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sound basic tactical advice for striking engagement in initial stages of fight, but doesn't actually answer my question. Go behind the lead arm or step offline into the open space where their centerline is available (groin, belly, solar plex, throat)?

I strike through the middle but move to the outside.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you think

- you are better than your opponent, you enter through his front door.
- your opponent is better than you, you enter through his side door.

By using "arm drag", you can switch from one to another.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you think

- you are better than your opponent, you enter through his front door.
- your opponent is better than you, you enter through his side door.

And if you are fighting with prison rules you enter through his........never mind. :eek:

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strike through the middle but move to the outside.
Gotcha. Sound, imo. Of course, Wang's inside route is sound, too, assuming he gets there fastest with the mostest. Being inside in front is devastating when in control.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew, I get that everyone is trying to reduce my theoretical inquiry into preferred method to an actual tactical problem. I'm really only after preference, what you/they would prefer to do if given the opportunity or you/they can manufacture the opportunity.

DropBear's succinct response was what I'm after. As is Wang's. Different thought processes for both of those guys,and both are good for them. People are different, think different, build different, plan different, fight different. I am after the What and why...

It's an interesting conversation to have, the finding out of people's preferences in what they do, and relating that back to their art/arts, length of practice time in years, etc.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I prefer closing them off. I like to get just behind a shoulder - what I sometimes call the "creepy position" (because you can whisper creepy stuff in their ear). From there, I have a lot of grappling and striking options, and they have few. If I can't make it that far back, I'll still usually prefer being outside that arm. It reduces their weaponry in most of the same ways, and I really like beating on floating ribs and temples.
The Japanese term for that spot... it was bugging me all week last week. I could not remember for the life of me what the term is for that. I called JW, but he didn't answer. I called Nick Lowry,a nd he knew what it was I was taking about but he's developing old-timers like me as well, so he suggested I call Patrick Parker. Pat is a good guy, and a great teacher, and Nick considers him to be the encyclopedia of all things Japanese arts.

The term is shikaku, meaning "the dead angle." I don't know if dead angle means if the person is at that angle to you, you're dead, or what, but it seems appropo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Japanese term for that spot... it was bugging me all week last week. I could not remember for the life of me what the term is for that. I called JW, but he didn't answer. I called Nick Lowry,a nd he knew what it was I was taking about but he's developing old-timers like me as well, so he suggested I call Patrick Parker. Pat is a good guy, and a great teacher, and Nick considers him to be the encyclopedia of all things Japanese arts.

The term is shikaku, meaning "the dead angle." I don't know if dead angle means if the person is at that angle to you, you're dead, or what, but it seems appropo.
That's a term I've never heard before. Now I have a new word to use with folks who use the Japanese terms! And it's a sufficiently creepy term, too.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a term I've never heard before. Now I have a new word to use with folks who use the Japanese terms! And it's a sufficiently creepy term, too.
You can say it creepily, like out of the corner of your mouth, mumbling...shikaku...shikaku...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotcha. Sound, imo. Of course, Wang's inside route is sound, too, assuming he gets there fastest with the mostest. Being inside in front is devastating when in control.

So long as you are throwing effective punches. And effective can be kind of tricky. If they cover or counter you should be moving.

Lots of guys get knocked out or taken down because they get too ambitious in that middle position.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can say it creepily, like out of the corner of your mouth, mumbling...shikaku...shikaku...
I told my wife that exact thing after I read your post. She agreed that "dead angle" is sufficiently creepy, too. So, at a school where they don't use Japanese terms, whispering "dead angle" has a very nice creepiness factor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as you are throwing effective punches. And effective can be kind of tricky. If they cover or counter you should be moving.

Lots of guys get knocked out or taken down because they get too ambitious in that middle position.
Yeah, and I have problems there sometimes. I can get oddly linear (not even angular, just linear) when I'm sparring with someone less skilled. I think I pay too much attention to what they are seeing, rather than my own sparring. And I get hit a lot more than I should in those situations because I sit in that middle position too much. And I'm getting slower on my changes and less able to change levels as my knees get worse, so I can't recover from that error like I once could.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, and I have problems there sometimes. I can get oddly linear (not even angular, just linear) when I'm sparring with someone less skilled. I think I pay too much attention to what they are seeing, rather than my own sparring. And I get hit a lot more than I should in those situations because I sit in that middle position too much. And I'm getting slower on my changes and less able to change levels as my knees get worse, so I can't recover from that error like I once could.

It is really common. Because you think you are winning and can go a bit crazy.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy with whom I used to train called it, fighting right down the other guy's gun barrel.

Not really something I like to do. I'd rather, very much rather, attack the "gun" in this metaphor, coming in laterally alongside the trigger.