closed gate vs. open gate

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kung Fu fellas!
Hello other fellas too.
I hear my instructor talk about closed gate vs. open gate when in chi sao.
I believe it is defined by how you push, pluck, pull your oponent's body, probably using his arms. What i think it is, if i am not wrong, is when you pull the opponents' arms inward and you can move around your opponent and direct outside-oriented strikes, such as the roundhouse palm for instance, this is a closed gate. it gives you great control of your opponent.
Open gate, however, is when you have the opponent's face, chest, stomach, and groin maybe open to you so all you have to do is GO HUNT.
I believe each has disadvantages, which I do not quite get.

Can any of you (or maybe all of you) elaborate on advantages vs. disadvantages of each

Thanks

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
we also use this when we are referring to a outside block of a strait punch, we then circle the arm that we blocked to the outside of our body to get inside. Vice-versa. The arm can be held onto once its outside for control or not while imploying palms,elbows and knees and in my style a throw at the end. We clall it opening and closing the gate.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kempo-vjj said:
we also use this when we are referring to a outside block of a strait punch, we then circle the arm that we blocked to the outside of our body to get inside. Vice-versa. The arm can be held onto once its outside for control or not while imploying palms,elbows and knees and in my style a throw at the end. We clall it opening and closing the gate.
i always hear about disadvantages of open gate but I do not know what they are!
it makes perfect sense to me to have the opponent wide open, right?
can you think of any of the disadvantages?
thanks

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are in the inside position, you are basicaly positioned right in front of him where he can bring all of his weapons into use. If you are outside or at the flank then you have nulified some of them. Could that be it?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
makes sense, sir!
thanks

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it is also refered to as Inside/Outside Gate. Inside being within the arms or legs, while outside being on the outside of them. In my opinion outside would be a bit more safe while inside is a bit more devistating. In mantis there really isn't (or shouldn't be) a difference in strategy or principle or technique per gate, but some schools train mainly one or the other. In reality we should be just as proficient at both. Pretty much every technique has both an inside and outsdie application to it.

7sm

Latest Discussions