clinch in a streetfight

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clinching. figernails to the face, knees to any where, elbows to ribs, chin and ear lobes, head butts. Yep I'd use them all in a street fight

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by lvwhitebir
In the national crime statistics, for assaults from strangers, 70% had a single attacker. It went down drastically to 12% for 2 attackers and 5% for three.

For assaults from non-strangers, 91% were from a single attacker, 4% for 2 attackers.

So, while multiple attacker scenarios do exist, they are far from the norm.

The situation you described is a fight and not a self-defense scenario. I would say that if I were attacked, I would try to get away as quickly as possible. I train on the ground to get a dominant position where I can minimize him as a threat and allow me to get away, not to just get an arm-bar or a choke. There are very few arm bars or chokes that I would attempt in a real self-defense scenario because I might lose the dominant position if something goes wrong.

If it were a friend and this were a true fight, I would probably go to the ground and try to immobolize him, rather than mount and beat him to a bloody pulp.

WhiteBirch

No disrespect about the percentages supplied.

No disrespect to police officers.

In my experince, a one on one fight turns into multiple on one in seconds, and then they run away, or the police only take down those that can be identified into the report. Usually the person who was involved in the one on one.

I have had and seen people who were not involved nor cared, yet they just waded into the fight and started pucnhing and kicking. Then they left when things started to calm down or turn real dangerous.

Now this does not mean you should not train against the clinch or any other situation, since I believe all is possible and will happen sooner or later.

:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cfr
Sorry if this has already been covered. It seems like we often read about "would you go to the ground in a streetfight". Everone has their reasons for and against. But what about getting in the clinch in a streetfight? Would you do it purposely? Do you see a big value in clinch training for street defense?

I train heavily for the clinch because thats where so many people lose their fight. Not only that, its good practice for anti-grappling(ground). Working from the clinch enables me to work technique from differant approaches such as off balance, differant foot placement.

Also, there is a need to be able to still fight while falling and such. The fight shouldn't be over just because its in another range.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to have a level of awareness of my environment in a self defense situation, and the clinch isolates to my opponent, negating what is around me.

And as to multiple opponents, I don't care what the stats are. Every serious circumstance I have been involved in involved multiple attackers. Every time someone has wanted to attack me, they get friends; and I don't even think I am a scary guy. Given my experience, I want to know what's going on around me rather then being isolated to my opponent.

Having said that, the clinch could happend, and I am prepared for it. However, I don't seek it.

pinkexperience

White Belt
Reaction score
In a streetfight i would do it in any situation especially if you have experience with the clinch and grappling. If the guy is much bigger than you he is less likely to exert more energy on you with his leverage. With the clinch you can get him with the knees and elbows, get double underhooks, take him down and put him in a lock or a choke. Going into a clinch would be my automatic response. Right when he throws in a hook (which most people do without fighting knowledge or technique) i'd block clinch, do some knees elbows, takedown. Plus head butts = ). The bigger the guy the more advantage he has with distance. Longer and stronger punches and kicks.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the clinch and clinch-range strikes (knees, elbows, head-butts, etc.)

One thing I really like about clinching is the head control. If you have a good clinch, you can swing someone around pretty easily. Takedowns are also great from this position. One of my favorites is a knee to the groin or thigh to get them bent forward, then simply step back and slam their face into the deck (this works from behind as well...EPAK people, think "Back-breaker")

Reaction score
i would use the clinch in a 1 on 1 fight if the other person was about the same size or smaller than me. being a muay thai man i would just throw the knees/elbows/headbutts. i have been taught techniques from other arts that involve the clinch (takedowns , wrestling clinches) as this is where i feel comfortable (clinch-striking being my best strength). in a 2 (or more) on 1 fight i wouldnt clinch but i would throw a couple of knees and release if i was grabbed

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think sometimes people try to relate what they see in Muay thai fights and in the octagon is what happens in a streetfight think about it, a thai fighter has trained in a clinch and know the escapes he can even predict what move your likely to do by your body movement hence why clinches last so long in competition……your average 'bob' on the street usual has no idea what a thai clinch is so a successful combination of moves should be easy to land!...plus if the clinch is done correctly your also protecting yourself quite well…..and anyone will tell you it takes a split second to pull a mans head down towards your on coming knee and then lights out!!!!

I've personally used a clinch in a streetfight so I know it works and is a very good move to use, and hell there's no ref in the street so knees to the groin are welcome!!!

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at the end of this fight to see possibilities of close range OUCH!
As I learnt in Aikido size is important, but if you use your center properly you can overcome the difference of size...

Last edited by a moderator:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
This might sound silly, but it is important to take a note. The thing is: Clinch if you are good at it. Don't try if you are not. Look, you will fight how you train. If you train a lot of kicking you will kick a lot in your fight, if you do a lot of takedowns then guess what? Same story.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clinching can eat up valuable time, which, in a street fight, you don't have much of. The bad guy's buddies probably won't stand around admiring your tush while you try to grapple...

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at the end of this fight to see possibilities of close range OUCH!
As I learnt in Aikido size is important, but if you use your center properly you can overcome the difference of size...

Ouch i heard that snap, im not sure that was what the other guy was going for though.

Watch the Bas rutten self defence videos, he mentions using the clinch...and i dont know about you but if anyone knows about fighting its old Bas!

check it out lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I probably would not seek out to clinch I definately train in it and to counter the clinch when appropriately. In a one on one encounter the clinch can be extremely useful provided both people are unarmed. It fit's nicely into that intermediate trapping/standing grappling area of combat. The down side with the clinch is that once you are locked up and there are potentially more attackers you are unable to monitor what everyone else is doing as easily. So train for it and be prepared to be in it (and use it to your advantage) but do not seek it out in a self defense situation. That is how I appraoch the clinch.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clinches often happen whether the you wish them to or not. I've seen it happen most often between to unskilled opponents, or two very skilled opponents, and as was mentioned in this thread, usually it was due to the fact that they were attempting to avoid some heavy blows and were looking to gain advantage without exposing themselves. The clinches also occured when the fighters believed they were the only ones who were going to be in the fight at the moment, usually.

That said, I like clinch range because most folks are not comfortable there and I practice there quite a bit. Once I'm in that range the "fight" is typically over very quickly. In mulitples scenarios I use the opponent as a temporary obstacle or shield, and if that range is practiced a great deal of power can be generated and much be seen, but like anything else practice is necessary and good instruction to determine really what options are there during a clinch.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It would seem to me that you want to force a clinch as a Judoka or Jujutsuka in a fight. We are trained to fight up close. Id' rather get his flank or back, but the clinch is better than kicking and punching range, to put the issue to bed, so to speak.

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
If i'm fighting on the street with more than one attacker i would definetly not want a clinch. I would move so that as few people could reach me as possible, by cutting angles and making it difficult for them all to reach me at the same time. But if i get in a clinch i got for vital points on the body so i can concentrate on the next person if i'm fortunate enough to hit the right spot with right amount of pressure.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If i'm fighting on the street with more than one attacker i would definetly not want a clinch. I would move so that as few people could reach me as possible, by cutting angles and making it difficult for them all to reach me at the same time. But if i get in a clinch i got for vital points on the body so i can concentrate on the next person if i'm fortunate enough to hit the right spot with right amount of pressure.

If you were to clinch some one, surly you would moved the clinched guy in front of anyone else that is coming your way.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends. Yes.

Most real fights start at close quarters, so a knowledge of the clinch is imperative. If you can control the clinch, you can control the fight. As far as weapons go, they are always a danger (especially up close)

One good reason not to grapple around with him for a long time.

It's a range that you should be familiar with, because, as pknox stated, you will probably end up there. People taking a beating don't hang out in punching range, they disengage or try to grab you. Since you probably won't get a KO right off the bat unless you hit just right, the clinch is a very common place to find yourself in. If you'll notice, most fights that aren't ended in the first few blows end up in a standup wrestling match that is sometimes followed by one or both of the participants going to the ground.

Yes, this is my goal--for him. And the longer I grapple with him, the more time I give him to think of all the ways he can hurt me, too--he's in the same range to me that I am to him.

One thing to remember is that most people are very ignorant of the clinch. In terms of layman's combat, punching range is the most comfortable....Landing knees, elbows, and headbutts can end a fight in short order, as can shredding. Your most useful weapons are in the close quarters area, so make use of them.

Hard to land these when you're in a tug-of-war with a strong guy, who is trying to unbalance you, trip you, choke, whatever, and may some have street or MA experience/training as well. Conversely, whatever I can do to him, he can do to me. My sense is, it's up for grabs (in my case, anyway).

Personally--and this is a big qualifier, I know--I want to get out of a standup clinch ASAP by taking his balance. Using two hands, one pushes while the other pulls around and downward, so I land him at my heel. Then, I feel much better. :ultracool A variation is the pushing arm goes under his armpit/upper arm, and pushes upward while the other hand pulls around and down. If it's life-threatening due to hi size/strength, his friends, whatever, I'm going to go for a soft tissue target (throat, eyes) and take my chances with LEO later. But the throw is my preference--he's on the gorund while I'm standing, and then all kinds of options open up.

It was either zDom or matt.m who shared a Judo move similar to this recently (japanese name, can't remember it). Also, Tim Cartmell has a new DVD on this very thing--very well done (Shen Wu Academy of Martial Arts). It was reviewed here also not long ago.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you were to clinch some one, surly you would moved the clinched guy in front of anyone else that is coming your way.
Though this might be the ideal, the ability to do so will largely depend upon the relative size and strength of the people clinching. I, for example, would not count on my ability to move people around while clinching. At 155, I'm not very well anchored. I'm the kind of guy that should nail my shoes down in a stiff breeze. So, I've developed into a more versatile and agile person, training to be mobile enough to find the advantageous position, rather than get tossed around. However, this predisposes me to going to where the motion leads me, rather than dicatating where we go.