Classroom Traditions

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We bow to the US flag to show respect when entering/ leaving the room.

Turn away from the flag and instructor when making adjustments to the belt/ uniform.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bowing when entering or leaving a room. Bowing to all black belts when they enter or leave the room. Kneeling and bowing to picture of Founder and instructor while he or she bows toward you. kneeling when putting on your belt or removing it. Bowing to opponent before sparring. Lining up according to rank and time in grade. Shaking hands with instructors and the rest of class when it's over. Pretty standard fare.

I personally agree with all of this because it puts one in the mindset to practice.

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
White, Yellow, and Orange belts are only allowed to wear white. Purple, Blue, Blue with a stripe, Green, Green with a stripe, and the three Brown Belts may wear either all white or all black gis. Black belts are allowed to mix and match tops and bottoms. Their color choices are white, black, or blue. Once the Black Belt reached 4th Dan, they may add red into the mix.

BigMike

White Belt
Reaction score
ChrisWTK said:
Also you're not allowed to wash your belt cause it 'washes away the knowledge.'

My mom washed my belt after my first tournament because it had blood on it. She didn't know not to and I didn't know she was going to do it. After that whenever I tied it the hanging ends would curl into spirals. I didn't hear the end of the teasing until I'd tested into my next belt. :lfao:

Big Mike

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
BigMike said:
My mom washed my belt after my first tournament because it had blood on it. She didn't know not to and I didn't know she was going to do it. After that whenever I tied it the hanging ends would curl into spirals. I didn't hear the end of the teasing until I'd tested into my next belt. :lfao:

Big Mike

Hehe, I knew one guy who spilled windshield washer fluid on his belt and so his yellow belt became this gross blueish/green color which I think looks worse than if he could have just washed it.

My mom also washed my gi with the colored clothes. We had to wash it about three times in bleach til it looked white enough that I considered it safe to wear to class.