A belt that goes against school tradition?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
in my school, if anybody comes with rank from another style, we allow them to wear that belt until he surpasses that rank with us.

way i figure it, somebody else granted that rank and it's not my place to ask them not to wear it.

most of our child students wear the old rank. most of the adults wear their rank in our system.

Stooooo

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your words of advice. The funny thing is I have been wearing my old belt (from TKD), but it just didn't fit me right. Last time I wore it I was in highschool. It was almost as if it (the belt) was telling me something. Thus, I asked the question here. I'm hoping I can find the white belt that came with my new gi.

All the best,
Stu

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your words of advice. The funny thing is I have been wearing my old belt (from TKD), but it just didn't fit me right. Last time I wore it I was in highschool. It was almost as if it (the belt) was telling me something. Thus, I asked the question here. I'm hoping I can find the white belt that came with my new gi.

All the best,
Stu

Then definitely go with the larger white belt. Very slimming. Heck that is why I wear a size 8 black belt. Give me room to grow! :)

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
in my dojo when one gets their black the only thing that is on it is theri names in english and japanese.:rules: :biggun: :yinyang: :bow: :banghead: :karate: :eek:verkill:

Stooooo

White Belt
Reaction score
Then definitely go with the larger white belt. Very slimming. Heck that is why I wear a size 8 black belt. Give me room to grow! :)

Thank you everyone for the advice. I found the white belt that came with my gi and it fit perfectly. It's a size 6. Thank you everyone for opening my eyes.

All the best,
Stu

Stooooo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I thought I would give an update. I attended class wearing my new white belt. The head instructor made a comment about demoting myself, but I could see by the look on his face he was impressed.

The other instructor as I was leaving class, made a comment about how it was a good move by me for wearing my white belt. He said I earned his respect, just by doing something so simple. Another black belt in the class echoed his opinion saying it was a class move.

Thanks again for the advice.

All the best,
Stu

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on your decision - not everyone would decide so well. Someday, when I have time (read, when I'm out of grad school) I want to pick up another art, and I intend to start as a white belt as well, even after 20 years of TKD. You set a fine example for the rest of us to follow.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Stu, good move and good outcome. Just by doing that you told your instructors several things about yourself that it's really good for them to know: that you respect your new school, your classmates, and them; that you aren't petty or vain, and that you trust them to see you MA competence without having to have the public verification. All of those are qualities that warm any instructor's heart, believe me!