Clashing limbs during sparring

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can’t imagine myself doing well in a start/stop limited contact situation. Do people train specifically for that type of competition? On the surface it seems to me that that could build bad habits. I was always taught that what you do in the gym during training is what you will do in the street. I wouldn’t want to teach myself to stop after a contact point, nor would I want to pull punches. Obviously, I don’t know a thing about that type of training, so I’m asking your opinion. Thanks again for the response.

You become very good at entering and exiting. Which is a valid part of fighting or self defence.

I have fought people who do it. And chasing them around while they snipe at you is very frustrating.

I would be interested to see if MVP did a points style somewhere. But that is kind of how it translates.

Yes he did.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You become very good at entering and exiting. Which is a valid part of fighting or self defence.

I have fought people who do it. And chasing them around while they snipe at you is very frustrating.

I would be interested to see if MVP did a points style somewhere. But that is kind of how it translates.

Yes he did.

He is good! Who has he lost to? I’m curious what beat him. I see the run and gun you refer to. I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to this stuff but it seems to me that his opponent would need to stay up close and tight to him and not give him room to run, or time to feint. His tricks are deceptive, and all war is deceit. I’m a little perplexed on his knockout power, it sure doesn’t look like much but results are what count. Ever watch Genki Sudo? Kind reminds me of him a little.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's no one set of rules for point sparring. But most commonly, it's the sort of thing you see in the Karate Kid movies. Limited contact, fighting stops when a point is scored, match ends when time expires or the required number of points is scored.

Sometimes. If my block causes you pain, then it probably was. And it was probably intentional.
Do they make you start in a certain stance and direction? Where would I look to find rule sets? I’m really just curious. Having very little exposure to it leads me to ask questions that would likely be tedious for you to answer.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they make you start in a certain stance and direction?
I hesitate to say no, because absolutes are rare. But I have never seen an event that mandated a particular stance or direction from which to begin. For forms competition, sure. But not for sparring.
Where would I look to find rule sets? I’m really just curious.
The organization that oversees or sponsors a given tournament determines the rules. That might be a big thing like WT, and easy to find with a little googling, or it might be a particular individual school, which will be much more difficult.
One option would be to google upcoming tournaments. Whoever is taking sign ups should be able to provide copies of the rules.
I googled "martial arts tournaments near me" and got THIS.
Having very little exposure to it leads me to ask questions that would likely be tedious for you to answer.
Meh. It's a discussion forum. If discussion or sharing information isn't the goal, I'm in the wrong place.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a huge problem when it comes to sparring. You see, I am not afraid to get hit, whether it's in the face, body, legs, etc. What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's. I notice that this problem is especially evident in point-based sparring in which the idea is to launch yourself at the opponent at full speed, rather than stand toe-to-toe and exchange proper hits with them. If anything, I've gotten more injuries fighting white belts in point sparring than fighting well-trained people in full-contact sparring.

What am I doing wrong if my limbs keep clashing with my opponent's limbs? And is it weird that I actually find full-contact sparring easier and less intimidating than point-based sparring due to this very issue? I always thought it should be the other way around.

Footwork, angles, and spacing.

My son fights southpaw so its easy to clash front legs. He will slide inside or outside the lead leg right before he comes forward...then throws combos and exits before his opponent can get back to neutral angle

White belts dont understand footwork and spacing so they clash into you. Blackbelts should...so its a cleaner fight.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can’t imagine myself doing well in a start/stop limited contact situation. Do people train specifically for that type of competition? On the surface it seems to me that that could build bad habits. I was always taught that what you do in the gym during training is what you will do in the street. I wouldn’t want to teach myself to stop after a contact point, nor would I want to pull punches. Obviously, I don’t know a thing about that type of training, so I’m asking your opinion. Thanks again for the response.

Where my son trains...they train continuous sparring. They spar 2-3 minute rounds no stopping for points.

At competition, they spar the same way....they just stop and exit when they hear the center judge call break. Full power to the body and light to medium power to the head.

As for not wanting to pull punches...my son will spar 30-50 rounds a week plus compete in 40 to 50 matches a year (he has done that since he was 8...he is 16 now). I don't think I would want him going full power in all of that.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where my son trains...they train continuous sparring. They spar 2-3 minute rounds no stopping for points.

At competition, they spar the same way....they just stop and exit when they hear the center judge call break. Full power to the body and light to medium power to the head.

As for not wanting to pull punches...my son will spar 30-50 rounds a week plus compete in 40 to 50 matches a year (he has done that since he was 8...he is 16 now). I don't think I would want him going full power in all of that.
Neither I nor my Sifu train/trained kids. We don’t compete per se. We spar 1 vs 1 and 1vs2 1 minute rounds full power, no rules, no pads, mouth guard, cup and bag gloves. it is Definitely not for kids.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I’m just curious about it because I have almost no exposure to it. There is a wide ocean of martial arts experiences out there that I know nothing about. I never cared about it. When I was younger I just focused everything in my being on Wing Woo Gar. Now I’m older and have a little broader interest. Thanks for your reply.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's.
I don't understand your concern. You punch your opponent. Your opponent punches your punching arm. Is that normal?

my-hook-3.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It causes problems and habits but it's nothing that I haven't seen people work out. I've seen people get laid out because of it and I've seen people switch from it to full contact and do well. The ones that are good have a lot of speed on them but but if you know the right technique then you can turn that speed against them. For the guys that I sparred with there's usually an Entry and Exit that they like to use. I was usually too slow to deal with their entry but knowing where they will exit allowed me to prepare by attacking at the exit and not the entry.

This is where the stop and go got the guy I was sparring with into trouble. After landing the first technique he felt as if he's job was done, except I my plans was to catch him after the first technique. In point sparring, I would loose by doing that. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the continuous point sparring.

Like this guy would be way to fast for me. There's no way I could beat his speed even in my fastest days. If I can't can't be as fast as him then my only strategy is to either make him slower by taking away his wheels or by catching him at the exit of his combos. This is what happened here. You can see that he's not trying to counter the beginning attack. He's catching Daniels at the end of the counter. You can also see that the Valtellini is attacking the wheels. He knows he's out matched in speed. So there's no need to play in that sandbox.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People may say that chasing arm is a bad idea. If I keep hit on your punching arm until your arm hurt so bad that you can't punch me anymore, I can then punch you whenever I want to. This is "metal" strategy.
I personally don't chase arms because I think it's bad and unnecessary. I already know there the arm will be., Behind the punch. I just need to encourage my opponent to give me his arm by punching at me. I know where the arm will be with linear and circular punches. Even if I don't strike his arm, the force of his punch will strike his arm for me. All I need to do is be there on time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I personally don't chase arms because I think it's bad and unnecessary. I already know there the arm will be., Behind the punch. I just need to encourage my opponent to give me his arm by punching at me. I know where the arm will be with linear and circular punches. Even if I don't strike his arm, the force of his punch will strike his arm for me. All I need to do is be there on time.
As a grappler, if you can control your opponent's arm, you can control his body, you can then change a striking game into a grappling game.

As long as you keep striking on your opponent's arm, soon or later you will find a chance to control his arm.

my-double-hook-cut.gif

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
People may say that chasing arm is a bad idea. If I keep hit on your punching arm until your arm hurt so bad that you can't punch me anymore, I can then punch you whenever I want to. This is "metal" strategy.
I use that exact thing. if that is what they put out, that’s what I hit.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, it only works well bare knuckled. Gloves of any kind will prevent hard strikes to the hand. I have used it to good effect more than once on striking opponents, and once on a judo guy.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Applied some of this a few days ago. Yeah so basically:
-Beginners love to do things that make limbs clash.
-Slow speed = more chances of clashing.
-Moving around the opponent = less chances of clashing.

But I am starting to see how point sparring can develop bad habits. I love the kata of Shotokan, just not the tournament-style sparring.

Latest Discussions