choosing a style

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone I haven't posted in a few weeks but here is my question. I'm trying to decide between two different schools in my area. One is a Shorin-ryu school that also teaches some jj and judo techniques as well, the other is a 5 animals school that also teaches Chen Taijiquan. Which school would you pick and why? Based on the idea that both teachers are very good. p.s. I know shorin = "shaolin" :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go try out a class or two at each school. And if you're thinking of adding the additional art(s), try those out, too. Talk to the instructor, talk to a few students, if prices and all externals are comparable, go with your gut. :D

Let us know what you decide.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go try out a class or two at each school. And if you're thinking of adding the additional art(s), try those out, too. Talk to the instructor, talk to a few students, if prices and all externals are comparable, go with your gut. :D

Let us know what you decide.

I can only second what has all ready been said

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If they offer JUDO? ...this will be my choice first! JUDO if a very good skill to learn.

Hands on training...actully throwing...one learns faster!

Aloha,

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kidswarrior hit the right note straight from the off there. I third his advice :tup:.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others in saying Kidswarrior has given the best advice, but I would add that schools that offer multiple complex arts like 5 animals and Chen Taiji or Shorin-ryu and jujustu need to be looked at carefully. A teacher for each art would be best in that situation as a single teacher might struggle to have a good understanding of both arts. I guess that's why you have to check them out.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One is a Shorin-ryu school that also teaches some jj and judo techniques as well, the other is a 5 animals school that also teaches Chen Taijiquan.

Wow, great choices! You can't go wrong. I think the karate and judo school would give you slightly better-rounded self-defense options, but kung fu plus tai chi is a great option too. Try out both and see what "feels" best to you.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Basically this is my situation, I used to live closer in the city and trained with a sifu of northern shaolin kung-fu. He was a very good teacher and his classes were cheap. Since then I have moved out further from town and now his home school is 30 miles from me which is about a 50min-1hr drive one way give or take with traffic. With gas prices how they currently are, and me getting ready to go back to college, I am not sure I would be able to make the drive downtown as often as I like to train. I have already had the opportunity to return to the downtown classes but I keep finding myself hesitating from making the drive. Has anyone else been in any situations similiar to this and looked for a school a bit closer in their area? I believe both of these schools has additional and/or assistant instructors to help with teaching the different styles at the schools. The Shorin-ryu school also offers an hour long muay thai class before the jj one.

jackmcmanus21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the shorin school would be my pick because of the judo/jj/muay thai...all great skills. I've been there as far as making the long drive to train....it stinks

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm always a little leary of a school that cliams to draw from too many sources for techniques. While learning a little judo/jj might sound good, if the instructor is not really qualified on those techniques/theory, then you're getting an inferior product.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Basically this is my situation, I used to live closer in the city and trained with a sifu of northern shaolin kung-fu. He was a very good teacher and his classes were cheap. Since then I have moved out further from town and now his home school is 30 miles from me which is about a 50min-1hr drive one way give or take with traffic. With gas prices how they currently are, and me getting ready to go back to college, I am not sure I would be able to make the drive downtown as often as I like to train. I have already had the opportunity to return to the downtown classes but I keep finding myself hesitating from making the drive. Has anyone else been in any situations similiar to this and looked for a school a bit closer in their area? I believe both of these schools has additional and/or assistant instructors to help with teaching the different styles at the schools. The Shorin-ryu school also offers an hour long muay thai class before the jj one.

If you were really happy with your instructor and what you were learning, I would encourage you to try and make the effort to stay with him. I personally drive over an hour each way, 2-3 times a week, to train with one of my teachers. For this particular art, I simply believe there is nobody else in my area who comes close to his experience and knowledge. Gas prices suck, and I don't expect that to improve. But it's what I feel is best for me, so I make the sacrifice.

You might be able to reduce the number of times you attend class, to reduce the cost and drive time. If you are dedicated to training on your own, outside of classes, you can make lots of progress if you only meet with your sifu once a week. You certainly don't have to be there every day, or even three times a week, in order to learn and develop your ability. But you do need to have self-discipline and be motivated to keep training on your own.

If you do decide to switch to one of these other schools, you have been given some good advice. Visit them and see how they are, and go with the one that speaks to you. Personally, I prefer the kung fu route. I am simply not so interested in the JJ and Judo methods, altho I've had a small amount of experience with them. But you need to decide for yourself.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others in saying Kidswarrior has given the best advice, but I would add that schools that offer multiple complex arts like 5 animals and Chen Taiji or Shorin-ryu and jujustu need to be looked at carefully. A teacher for each art would be best in that situation as a single teacher might struggle to have a good understanding of both arts. I guess that's why you have to check them out.

These are good points, but I will also note that it is quite common for kung fu sifu to teach more than one system, especially if the second system is tai chi. Seems like most sifu include tai chi chuan on some level, in addition to an external or other art. It's a common practice so I would not hesitate over that issue. Not everyone is really good with tai chi, but he may be competent enough to make it worth while.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good points so far. The shorin ryu teacher is from okinawa himself and has trained jj/judo and shorin-ryu most of his whole life so I think it would be an extremely legit school. Has anyone else here decided to pick a school closer to home to train at if they were able to find a good one? Or would all of you agree with Flying Crane about making the far drive to continue previous training? By the way Flying Crane do you train in crane boxing yourself or what style do you do?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good points so far. The shorin ryu teacher is from okinawa himself and has trained jj/judo and shorin-ryu most of his whole life so I think it would be an extremely legit school. Has anyone else here decided to pick a school closer to home to train at if they were able to find a good one? Or would all of you agree with Flying Crane about making the far drive to continue previous training? By the way Flying Crane do you train in crane boxing yourself or what style do you do?

I've train in Tibetan White Crane for about 10 years or so, but my sifu also teaches other things like Shaolin, and Tai Chi, and that is part of my training. This sifu is close by, so that's not the issue.

When I was young, I trained in Tracy Kenpo, and about a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to return to my roots and retrain in kenpo. I found out that a very senior instructor in Tracy Kenpo lives and teaches about an hour from where I now live, so that is the travel that my wife and I do, to work with him.

I currently train with both teachers.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone went from kung-fu to okinawan arts or vise versa on this forum? Another question is has anyone changed schools because they were no longer able to make the drive even though they enjoyed their training? Also what are your thoughts on a newer style like Shuri-Ryu vs something like Shorin-Ryu? As well as the modern trend of schools teaching mixed arts now and buying into the whole popularity of the MMA trend.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not exactly the same as your question, al but I went from Lau Gar Kung Fu to Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu because of physical injury (unarmed Chinese art to armed Japanese art).

One thing I can say, if my experience counts for anything, is that changing schools due to forces beyond your control is something to be viewed as horizon broadening rather than anything negative. It can have unexpectedly beneficial consequences on almost any level, so don't stress overly about it.

An arts 'value' is the changes it brings about in yourself, so at a fundamental level, other peoples opinions should not enter into the equation.

For example, my bias is that the mental and psychological aspects of an art are more important than the physical. So, until contact with Tez here at MT, I held MMA in such a level of disdain that I am embarassed to recall. Even so, I still believe that the core benefit of training in an art is control of yourself rather than the projection of violence - the latter is a side-effect for me (and it turned out to be a useful one at one time in my life).

Is it relevant whether that opinion gels with your own? I would favour the reply being "No"; that you have your own views on this. Having such a personal 'window' is not detrimental to anyone else's internal picture of the martial arts - walk your path.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sukerkin, that gives me a lot of good information. Basically I really enjoyed training with my previous instructor and his system. But sometimes in life we find our liking of something and wanting to do it isn't always enough for it to work out for us. I definitely feel it is better to train somewhere than nowhere, as regardless of what style or system you're doing you are still improving yourself in many ways. I've always found armed systems extremely interesting especially styles like iaido. So how is your new training working out for you so far?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sukerkin, that gives me a lot of good information.

You're more than welcome; glad to have been of some little assistance.

So how is your new training working out for you so far?

It's shaping up very well. I'm a nidan now and really feel that I'm beginning to see just what depths a sword-art has to it.

The calming effect I get from my training is worth it in it's own right but that there has also been an unexpected physical benefit. My right arm has been pretty much light-use only for decades because I essentially have no forearm bones of my own anymore (I have two titanium 'struts' instead and had most of the muscle cut away from the wrist-side six inches or so).

I was also in constant pain, day and night and in fear of knocking the arm on anything or jarring it - even using a hammer or a spade caused it to swell up quite alarmingly and painfully.

Five or six years of wielding a sword has so strengthened that arm, that the pain has stopped, I can do woodwork/gardening again and I am no more afraid of clipping my arm on a doorframe etc than the next man. Sadly, it's accuracy as a predictor of rain has been ruined :( :lol:.

In the end, anything you approach with dedication and persistence will yield at least some benefit at one time or another. Martial arts I find, with their emphasis on personal discipline are particularly good for honing and polishing traits that you didn't even know you had when you started.

So, best of luck al :tup:.

Latest Discussions