Cross-referencing Training Session.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I teach traditional Tae Kwon Do, and our hyeong curriculum is all karate based. On Tuesday evenings I hold an "advanced" class for my higher gup and dan ranked students to attend. I have had a few other area martial artists attend as guests. Last night, we were working Naihanchi Chodan applications/interpretations, and our guest is a Nidan in Shorin Ryu and a Shodan in Judo.

I was delighted to see that our applications were identical in principle, albeit slight variations in detail. 90% of my students found the experience very rewarding, with only one of them feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information. Do any of you all train with other stylists within complimentary systems?

IMHO, it helps to reinforce the underlying principles in the forms themselves.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach traditional Tae Kwon Do, and our hyeong curriculum is all karate based. On Tuesday evenings I hold an "advanced" class for my higher gup and dan ranked students to attend. I have had a few other area martial artists attend as guests. Last night, we were working Naihanchi Chodan applications/interpretations, and our guest is a Nidan in Shorin Ryu and a Shodan in Judo.

I was delighted to see that our applications were identical in principle, albeit slight variations in detail. 90% of my students found the experience very rewarding, with only one of them feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information. Do any of you all train with other stylists within complimentary systems?

IMHO, it helps to reinforce the underlying principles in the forms themselves.
I was encouraged to do so once I earned Cho Dan. I began with Shotokan since it is very similar to TSD, then branched out to other systems as I moved around. Unfortunately, I can’t do this with my students currently as there are no other schools near me.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I switched from Shorin-ryu to Shotokan, so I saw this for myself. When I was in Shorin-ryu, the cross training was rare, but it was usually with Goju-ryu - completely different katas, so we couldn't compare applications like you're talking about. But I'm able to do that with Shorin-ryu and Shotokan.

I will likely never take another style of karate, unless I move to a new area and don't have a choice. Even then, I'd be looking at Shito-ryu or Goju-ryu so that I can get the Naha-te side.

In my opinion, adding more of the same to your karate doesn't make as much sense as adding a grappling art.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I switched from Shorin-ryu to Shotokan, so I saw this for myself. When I was in Shorin-ryu, the cross training was rare, but it was usually with Goju-ryu - completely different katas, so we couldn't compare applications like you're talking about. But I'm able to do that with Shorin-ryu and Shotokan.

I will likely never take another style of karate, unless I move to a new area and don't have a choice. Even then, I'd be looking at Shito-ryu or Goju-ryu so that I can get the Naha-te side.

In my opinion, adding more of the same to your karate doesn't make as much sense as adding a grappling art.

I guess I see this as reinforcing my karate, with its principles on grappling. I would honestly love to have more formal training in Judo. I took classes for a year back in 2000 while in college.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a group composed of any local school that cares to participate. We go to each others schools, generally every month or two, and train. We often do scenario-based training. As in, pick a situation and show how different styles will deal with it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's awesome... I attend any seminars I can which is very enlightening to experience differemt methodologies, but also similarities which help reinforce my system. Our system is primarily Goju but big influences of Shorin ryu and Hakutsuru ken, would love to train more with people from those arts!

Latest Discussions