old timers

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went to a tournament yesterday where al there where friends and the competition was great and spirited but something was missing.
Being from the era where school wars and racial wars would break lose at any moment I sometimes miss the tension, competition and anticipation of in such events.
I am all for the “friendly “ tournaments because I love being with my friends but I do miss the days of knowing if I did not block I might lose a tooth or have a broken rib, nose, etc. It was good knowing you could defend against a person trying to knock you out., or hurt you.

Anyone else out there miss those days.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to a tournament yesterday where al there where friends and the competition was great and spirited but something was missing.
Being from the era where school wars and racial wars would break lose at any moment I sometimes miss the tension, competition and anticipation of in such events.
I am all for the “friendly “ tournaments because I love being with my friends but I do miss the days of knowing if I did not block I might lose a tooth or have a broken rib, nose, etc. It was good knowing you could defend against a person trying to knock you out., or hurt you.

Anyone else out there miss those days.

I know what you mean, not from being in the MA at that time, but from too many confrontations in parking lots, alleys, and at curbs. I really don't miss it, though. If I ever do, I just have to react to one of the hot heads on the road, and it's deja vu all over again. :D

Not sure that relates exactly to what you're saying, but those were my old-days tournaments, anyway.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, I miss the old days when going to class was a major part of your week, not something you did when it wasn't bowling night.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't say I miss that part of the "good ole days." I remember "masters" taking disputs over who's student won outside in the parking lot. Ugh.

Anytime that there is good competition & good sportsmanship: that's good enough for me.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We never did that, but there has been some noticeable tension between Instructors over who had better students and who won what match.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
sometimes but i also remember going home and having to ice a part of my body for hours, it wa a good time though

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss the getting into your opponet face and after the match and tounament going out to get a beer. Today we become to envolved in who, who insted of bringing the comradity together. Man I miss driving all night with a car fill uf people that between them had enough money to get there and back and slept in the car or picnic tables at a rest stop. Those where the days.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss the getting into your opponet face and after the match and tounament going out to get a beer. Today we become to envolved in who, who insted of bringing the comradity together. Man I miss driving all night with a car fill uf people that between them had enough money to get there and back and slept in the car or picnic tables at a rest stop. Those where the days.

I agree. Now it's "I've got my team & you've got your's" & sadly, we never stop to see how much we have in common.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, there has been a change in the last 4 decades, and I too can relate to your observations and memories of days gone past. But on the other hand, its fun to sit back and watch how well some of the newer generations have learned not only the style and techniques that have been passed down in the last 40 years, but the ones that have been taught ethics, honor, integrity and character, which is the very essence of learning Martial Arts. I for one, being an old timer myself, am very proud of our younger generation. Remember the days when we had to fight the instructor to advance.. I don't know about you, but I had some tough instructors, and my share of busted lips, black eyes, and bloody noses. Was it fun and would I do it all over again, oh yeah.

Latest Discussions