Children and grades

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay you guys. Off the pile on top of MichiganTKD, please.

Nowhere did he state that the child had to get straight As, just honor roll. And, I doubt that he judges the child solely on the child's grades. As I said in my post above, and I believe Mich was trying to as well, it's just another incentive for the child. They get a patch for their uniform, which is very very important to children (and a lot of adults, too!) Recognition of the positive in their lives.

And Ping - way to go. Inspiring story. :ultracool KT

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you that have posted are actually instructors. But I'm sure some of you are, since theirs a lot of opinions being tossed out about what a "instructor" should be able to require from his students.

My opinion as a "instructor" is; that no matter how much someone loves the martial arts, it is secondary to their responsibilities as a son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother. Education is much more important to the future of a child than martial arts, little league, soccer, or any other activity.
My youth / teen students and their parents are told the first day that they will be required to maintain a "C" average in school to qualify for belt testing. Before they test, their parents will be required to sign their "testing slip" which states that "my son/daughter has met our (parents)requirements for school grades and behavior at home". The vast majority of the parents of my students have shared my opinion that if their child cannot at least maintain a "C" average, they should be at home studying, instead of taking karate classes. And if they don't share that belief, then they can just sign the "testing slips" and let their child test anyway. Like many said, it's the parents ultimate decision anyway. But as a martial arts instructor, one has the responsibility to help students develop the "body, mind, and spirit".

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
And this is the difference between traditional and sport oriented schools. A traditional Instructor cares about his students' whole life, not just technique in class.
Umm... How do you figure?

Some traditional instructors are complete (edited for language) that only care about getting checks handed too them. Some even do this and at the same time require grades, not because they really care, but because it makes it easier to sell there program to parents.

At the same time I think if you look to youth sports you will find many coaches who really do care about there young athletes. Of course they would never take it upon themselves to hold back a student in one pursuit because of poor grading in another.

There is a big difference between caring about a persons life and trying to control it.

I agree that academics are important, and athletics are important. Some people excel in one, but not the other, some in both, some in neither. But just because one is weak does not mean the others should be withheld.

Should a student who is weak in English be held back in math because of it?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I think encouraging kids to get good grades is an excellent idea, I think it should reside in the verbal encouragement and verbal emphasis from instructors. When training, kids who may be faring very poorly in school may have a chance to excel at something and blossom. I don't think keeping them from MA is in any way helpful. And although certainly the instructor should be a positive role model and encourage them, I think getting patches, etc. for good grades is another way for kids to possibly develop hard feelings in training.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
While I think encouraging kids to get good grades is an excellent idea, I think it should reside in the verbal encouragement and verbal emphasis from instructors. When training, kids who may be faring very poorly in school may have a chance to excel at something and blossom. I don't think keeping them from MA is in any way helpful. And although certainly the instructor should be a positive role model and encourage them, I think getting patches, etc. for good grades is another way for kids to possibly develop hard feelings in training.
Feisty, It actually is a positive thing for the kids in our school. They all want to be like the kids who have them. Let me also say that it isn't compulsory for them to submit their report cards and so on, but a lot of them do because they are proud of their accomplishments and want to share it with us. KT

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Of course they would never take it upon themselves to hold back a student in one pursuit because of poor grading in another.

There is a big difference between caring about a persons life and trying to control it.

I agree that academics are important, and athletics are important. Some people excel in one, but not the other, some in both, some in neither. But just because one is weak does not mean the others should be withheld.

Should a student who is weak in English be held back in math because of it?
Well said! Thank you. KT

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My only experience with this mentality was when my son and I were looking for a MA school. There is one instructor here that has a good reputation through the school system and YMCA. He taught afterschool programs and for the YMCA's etc. then opened his own school.

He requires report cards to be shown in class, demands respect to himself and to parents, ... and class, belts, and tournaments, etc. are contingent upon the grades.

We made the decision not to atttend there for other reasons.

After the second year in business, he has moved to a facility three times the size, because he cannot accomdate the increase in students......:idunno:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the C average thing, but as someone with experience in the field of education, I disagree with the honor roll requirement.

not every kid can be on the honor roll. that's why its an honor.

different kids are good at different things. different schools have different honor roll requirements.

the school I attended required no grade less than a B in any subject, and a 3.5 GPA to be on the honor roll.

My GPA was a 3.71. I never once made the honor roll. I had straight As in every single subject except math. my math grade was consistantly a D. Straight As in 6 subjects, a D in the 7th, despite three hours of tutoring a week, after school time with the teacher, and everything else my parents could think of.

if I was a kid in that school, I'd be stuck at brown belt for life. That's a way to frustrate kids, not encourage them. It'd just make the kid resent the subject they're having trouble with even more and accomplish the exact opposite of what you're aiming for.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One piece of advice that our Grandmaster stressed above all else was "Try". By saying math (or whatever) is not my strong point or I'll never be on the honor roll, you consciously put limits on yourself. The fact that you show up to class says that you have the ability to better yourself and excel. Why can't you be on the honor roll? I don't expect you to get all A's. However, I have every right to expect that, as a black belt representative of Tae Kwon Do and this organization, you show me academic development as well as physical expertise. Maybe not every school or teacher feels that way. But the ones who don't demand or expect students to reach for a certain level will be amply rewarded. If I don't expect too much out of my kids, I am sure to have those expectations rewarded.
It doesn't mean I have to be the Great Santini about it, but I can and will place above average expectations on students because black belt means they are above average and should be treated as such.
To quote Spiderman: "To whom much is given, much is expected."

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
I agree with the C average thing, but as someone with experience in the field of education, I disagree with the honor roll requirement.
not every kid can be on the honor roll. that's why its an honor.
different kids are good at different things. different schools have different honor roll requirements.
That is why I have set a "C average" requirement. Some people take to school real well, and always get good grades. Some students are just naturally smarter then others. And then many students struggle all the time just to get average grades. But I feel that all my students are capable of maintaining a "C" average.
If it's a struggle for them, then good! They will develop a strong work ethic, and learn that some things are worth working hard for. Now days kids can spend hours playing video games, or learning trick moves on a BMX bike, or skate board. They work hard at these things because they are fun, and they want to be good at them. Education may not be fun, but it is a very important tool for future successes.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
. The vast majority of the parents of my students have shared my opinion that if their child cannot at least maintain a "C" average, they should be at home studying, instead of taking karate classes. And if they don't share that belief, then they can just sign the "testing slips" and let their child test anyway. Like many said, it's the parents ultimate decision anyway. But as a martial arts instructor, one has the responsibility to help students develop the "body, mind, and spirit".
I think that is a very good criteria, and I like that fact that you partner yourself with parents to promote education in your students. I think Martial Arts is an excellent vehicle through which children develop inner discipline that helps them learn to delay their gratification. Perhaps not so ironically some of the children who have difficulty maintaining a C average will benefit scholastically most from the lessons learned in Martial Arts. It is much easier to sit in front of a television and play video games and the rewards are instant but not long lasting. Studying Martial Arts in and of itself teaches fundamental things like developing a positive work ethic. We work hard over long periods of time and we find personal rewards in that. When coupled with the positive reinforcement from parents and respected Martial Arts instructors the impact is all the greater. These rewards are meaningful because they are based on hard work and dedication. The lessons learned in Martial Arts concerning discipline and hard work carry into a child's adult life in many areas. I've spoken to many Martial Artists who believe that what Martial Arts gave them as young adults transformed their lives!

MJ :asian:

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I think that is a very good criteria, and I like that fact that you partner yourself with parents to promote education in your students. I think Martial Arts is an excellent vehicle through which children develop inner discipline that helps them learn to delay their gratification. Perhaps not so ironically some of the children who have difficulty maintaining a C average will benefit scholastically most from the lessons learned in Martial Arts. It is much easier to sit in front of a television and play video games and the rewards are instant but not long lasting. Studying Martial Arts in and of itself teaches fundamental things like developing a positive work ethic. We work hard over long periods of time and we find personal rewards in that. When coupled with the positive reinforcement from parents and respected Martial Arts instructors the impact is all the greater. These rewards are meaningful because they are based on hard work and dedication. The lessons learned in Martial Arts concerning discipline and hard work carry into a child's adult life in many areas. I've spoken to many Martial Artists who believe that what Martial Arts gave them as young adults transformed their lives!

MJ :asian:
I also agree I am very glad for all the different responses that I have recieved I believe I know what I will do now

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
What will you do now?
I like the C average, because I realize that every child cannot do good in every subject, but I will also give incentives for going beyond the c average.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think children should be punished by being pulled out of martial arts because they get off the honor roll. Both of my children hated health class, mostly because alot of it wasn't about health. But anyway, that lowered their grade point average. Not a signifier that they were stupid just not too smart too let an easy subject lower their GPA. So, as a parent should I take them out if that was the reason they slipped past a 3.0? No.

We, as parents can do all we can to help, encourage, and make possible for our children to make good grades but it is up to them. But neither can I punish them for my expectations for which they failed. They failed themselves. They hurt themselves. But it is up to us to make it possible for them to do better. So, they have to study more, less recreation. That is not punishment, that is good parenting.

But, as there is little PE in our system right now and organizied sports is too hard to get into, I encouraged martial arts as a physical activity for my kids. Plus it gave them an alternate source to learn moral values, reinforcement and for self defense. Also, if I were to pull them out of Taekwondo because of grades, what suffers? Well, they become less physically fit until the next quarter, they lose ability, fail to remember their forms and it becomes harder to go back. Other kids would ask why were you gone and it would be embarrassing as well. Maybe that would be good but it would also be an incentive NOT to continue TKD. So, no, I encourage, not discourage. TW

Latest Discussions