Cheer me up!!!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel a little blue about Kenpo today, last week I went training, this week till today I am not. So I really need to reconect with kenpo, past monday I had a very nice TKD session but I really miss the kenpo techs, those wonderful short punches and elbows.

Manny

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe you've tossed aside your kenpo brotherhood like so much trash. I'm aghast!

Just kidding.

Look, if you like TKD, study it. If you find that you miss kenpo too much, then go back to kenpo. Maybe try a new kenpo school, if one is available.

I know that I really like my kenpo school because my instructor is cool. If an instructor truly is cool and can filter prospective students, then your classmates will also be cool. That makes the difference for me in my school. At this point in my studies (nub) I'd likely be happy with any stand-up art as long as I got along in the school.

There is something to be said about trying new things, too. Reminds me of my kicks. When I first started kenpo, I thought that the style was a good match for me because I was inflexible and couldn't kick that well. "Good thing I didn't get into a TKD school," I told myself. Well, with a little yoga and good old fashioned stretching, my kicks are probably better than my punches. The only reason I found that out is because I was willing to try new things. You might find in TKD that you end up doing a lot of punches rather than kicks. Hopefully your instructor is cool.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't believe you've tossed aside your kenpo brotherhood like so much trash. I'm aghast!

Just kidding.

Look, if you like TKD, study it. If you find that you miss kenpo too much, then go back to kenpo. Maybe try a new kenpo school, if one is available.

I know that I really like my kenpo school because my instructor is cool. If an instructor truly is cool and can filter prospective students, then your classmates will also be cool. That makes the difference for me in my school. At this point in my studies (nub) I'd likely be happy with any stand-up art as long as I got along in the school.

There is something to be said about trying new things, too. Reminds me of my kicks. When I first started kenpo, I thought that the style was a good match for me because I was inflexible and couldn't kick that well. "Good thing I didn't get into a TKD school," I told myself. Well, with a little yoga and good old fashioned stretching, my kicks are probably better than my punches. The only reason I found that out is because I was willing to try new things. You might find in TKD that you end up doing a lot of punches rather than kicks. Hopefully your instructor is cool.

Well actually I'ma a BB in TKD and still train TKD but taking Kenpo classes because I feel is more street oriented, I am a yellow belt in kenpo.

I really enjoy both MA so I train two times kenpo and two times TKD per week, so monday and wensday nights are kenpo nights and tuesday and thursdya are TKD nights.

Manny

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel a little blue about Kenpo today, last week I went training, this week till today I am not. So I really need to reconect with kenpo, past monday I had a very nice TKD session but I really miss the kenpo techs, those wonderful short punches and elbows.

Manny
Kenpo isn't about short strikes its about utilizing points on a circle. Are you more comfortable at long range? Or are you feeling overwhelmed by the material of kenpo?
Sean

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo isn't about short strikes its about utilizing points on a circle. Are you more comfortable at long range? Or are you feeling overwhelmed by the material of kenpo?
Sean

It's not about to be confortable at long or short range, and not overwhelmed by kenpo, just facinating by kenpo. Long range? then kicks, short range then hands,elbows,knees, verbal range? takedowns,locks,throws.

I really like the flashy techs of kenpo.

Manny

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Manny

Hello, Manny...

Practice what feels good to you, and what you enjoy.
Life is too short to do it any other way.

Keep up the good work!
Milt G.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny - Your post caught my eye because my 3yr old grandson is named Manny also. I did a short stint in Sang Moo Kwan TKD , and like you I missed the art of kenpo, so I was not at the TKD studio long. I offer the same advice as one of the othe post responders. Do what GOD has blessed you to enjoy.
PEACE 1stJohn 1:9