Checked out the local dojo.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haven't been back from there very long.

I was very impressed. I'm not sure if this is usual, but it was a much more relaxed atmosphere than say, the Shorin Ryu or Kyokishin than I used to train in. Not at all what I was expecting.

The technique was very elegant and practical, and the instructor did a really good job of breaking it down for the beginners.

What impressed me most however, was just the sense of fun that permeated the class. From Sensei to the beginning white belts, everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Yes, they were training hard, but that just seemed to make it all the more enjoyable to them.

I'm pretty sure I've found my new school. I'd be surprised if by the time I can train again that I'd find something better.

Jeff

Oh, and I did ask if I could get smoke bombs from him, he laughed.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to your local Bujinkan dojo. You are right on in that it is definately a more relaxed atmosphere. That is pretty normal. The techniques in Budo Taijutsu seem unlimited. In other words there is always something new to practice and that is what makes it so much fun.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, glad you had a chance to check it out. Sounds like you are pretty pumped about starting training again. I am very happy for you. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a great place to train Jeff!!:ultracool

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I was very impressed. I'm not sure if this is usual, but it was a much more relaxed atmosphere than say, the Shorin Ryu or Kyokishin than I used to train in. Not at all what I was expecting.

The technique was very elegant and practical, and the instructor did a really good job of breaking it down for the beginners.
I'm VERY glad to hear that you're looking into getting into the Bujinkan! That dojo sounds GREAT! I hope you really get the chance to dig in and help yourself to a greatbig helping of that elegant, well explained...relaxed combat training!!!!

Please: Let us know how it goes for you Jeff.

Your Brother
John

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I'm VERY glad to hear that you're looking into getting into the Bujinkan! That dojo sounds GREAT! I hope you really get the chance to dig in and help yourself to a greatbig helping of that elegant, well explained...relaxed combat training!!!!

Please: Let us know how it goes for you Jeff.

Your Brother
John

I think I detect a bit of sarcasm here.

Let me explain myself further.

As far as relaxed goes, is what I'm trying to convey, is that the instructor doesn't feel the need to bark out orders like a drill sergeant. That does not mean there wasn't discipline. Really, if you need to be yelled at to keep motivated, or feel the need to constantly yell at others, do you really want to be there?

Elegant. I can see how you might misinterpret what I'm saying here. Think more along the lines of the elegance of a building whose form follows it's function. Not the elegance of an evening dress or party.

You seem also to have a problem with well explained. When you learn new techniques, don't you like to have it broken down in a manner that's easy to learn? Or is the only way to teach is to demonstrate the technique and then yell when they don't get it right?

I hope I've made my description a little more clear.

Jeff

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I came across wrong Jeff.
I meant no sarcasm at all....Honestly.

Relaxed atmosphere is how I like it!! I think people learn better that way. I had a Goju instructor who, though he was a very good instructor...Did like the "Old way" as he put it, of barking out the orders and demanding an almost subserviant attitude. Other instructors taught in a very casual way, I learned better in that environment. Also: in a relaxed environment like that the senior students often feel more open to giving advice or tips or even just encouragement. It also helps for those that have questions.
Relaxed is the way to go I think.

I totally understand what you mean by elegance. It's sort of like how my friend who studies "Mechanical Engineering" feels about a well constructed mathmatical formula....it has a sort of pleasing feel to it that goes hand in hand with the realization that it all works out well in the end. I understand what you are saying by the "building" analogy too. In studying Aikijujutsu earlier in my life I gained an appreciation for the arts that use "Taijutsu" or 'body art' as their method of movement-foundation. When I met my first Bujinkan instructor (a Fine man, also by the name of Jeff) he impressed me with the "elegant" Taijutsu that the Bujinkan instills in the dedicated student. I was VERY VERY impressed with the simple logic and pragmatism of it all!!! ((Just too bad that he lives so far away from me))

I have no problem with 'well explained'. Heck, with my simple mind....it MUST be explained and explained and explained, usually from multiple angles and perspectives. But I've been blessed with understanding and patient instructors for sometime now. I'd not be nearly what I am today without their dedicated and well explained instruction.

Jeff: Please forgive me, really. I obviously came off all wrong.
PLEASE: take what I said quite litterally.

1. Relaxed is GREAT, I couldn't agree with you more. (and from my experience w/Bujinkan folks....it's the norm and comes from the Top down)
  2. Elegant denotes a fully cultivated system and good instruction. To me it has to do with effectiveness, logic, pragmatism and grace. We should all strive for this "Shibumi" or elegance in our "ways".
  3. Well explained........I'd not be without it.
I AM very happy that you are looking into joining a reputable Bujinkan Dojo!
..and I really would like to hear about your journey, as I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

In Brotherhood..

Your Brother
John

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff it is nice when people find the right match for there training, I'm so happy for you.
Terry

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood you. No body language makes it easy to misinterpret what people try to convey sometimes.

I think part of the reason I took your post to be sarcastic is I have a bit of a knee jerk reaction to some concepts of how a class should be kept in a disciplined manner. Years ago, when I first moved up to where I live now, I enrolled in the TKD school that my wife grew up in, and where she was helping teach. One of the other instructors got in my face because my fist was resting on my hip instead of up by my chest. He tried to go all DI on me. This was my second TKD class. I walked out right then. Not because I disagreed with him, that's where TKD keeps their hands, but because of the way I was corrected. Then again, he, and that incident, was also a prime mover in my wife opening up her own school. Oh, he also told me I was studying TKD for the wrong reasons, but that's another story.

Once again, sorry I mistook your intent, and thanks,

Jeff

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a quick insert. Instructors who complain a lot do not exclude the possibility of a pleasant and humorous training environment. Take my word for it.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Now it's time to start being a pest to all the Buninkan people here. Don't worry, I'll be a pest to everyone else still.

Jeff

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jeff,

Congrats!!!! Very good to hear. :)
LOL @ the smoke bomb thing!! A great follow up to that would've been "No, seriously...I really need some of those smoke bombs so that I can disappear in a puff of smoke when I leave...". That would've gotten a reaction for sure! First impressions and all.........

Glad to hear you had a great first experience. Don't be surprised if you get picked to be Uke a lot. I'm sure you've noticed by now that martial arts students like testing things out the big guy in the class. :D

Good luck!

Fu Bag

cloud

White Belt
Reaction score
Glad you found the art. Keep up the motivation and remember this excitement when everything is new, it will keep you going in rough time or when encouragement is needed. Never stray from warrior path.

Keep going, keep growing.
Cloud

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Thanks everyone. Now it's time to start being a pest to all the Buninkan people here. Don't worry, I'll be a pest to everyone else still.

Jeff
Jeff, I am excited for you! Damn, I wish I had someone to train with right now! Time is currently 11:21pm :D That is so cool! Don't worry about being a pest, we like questions and discussion. Feel free to ask, although, always remember that some questions are best answered by your instructor and you might get pointed in that direction from time to time.

Good luck in your training!

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks again for the words of encouragement everyone. Most of my questions on the board will probably be of the "why" and not the "how" type. Trying to get fine pointed in an online forum seems pretty futile to me.

Even though my previous style lacked depth, I think a lot of what I learned will help me out. I did notice the ukemi was a little different though, that'll take some time to get used too.

Jeff