Technique?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm trying to find any info I can on the basic techniques. Not to learn them, but just to familiarize myself with the new terminology. It'll be a few weeks before I can start training and I'd like to start to learn the terminology, as it's a ***** for me to keep it straight from what I've learned before.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I'm trying to find any info I can on the basic techniques. Not to learn them, but just to familiarize myself with the new terminology. It'll be a few weeks before I can start training and I'd like to start to learn the terminology, as it's a ***** for me to keep it straight from what I've learned before.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, the things to look up are Kihon Happo and Sanshin no Kata. The Kihon are the basic techniques and Sanshin is good for understanding body movement. However, that being said, I would encourage you NOT to do them by yourself until you have had an instructor guide you. There are nuances to them that are not easily "seen" but under the direction of a good instructor you should be able to "feel" them. That is important to remember.

As for finding a good source of that information on the internet, I don't know of any.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Jeff, the things to look up are Kihon Happo and Sanshin no Kata. The Kihon are the basic techniques and Sanshin is good for understanding body movement. However, that being said, I would encourage you NOT to do them by yourself until you have had an instructor guide you. There are nuances to them that are not easily "seen" but under the direction of a good instructor you should be able to "feel" them. That is important to remember.

As for finding a good source of that information on the internet, I don't know of any.
The thought of trying to get a head start on the technique never crossed my mind. Just want to learn the names, 'cause I'm awful with that. Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, might just have to get that tape so I won't butcher the words.

Jeff

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be fair, when I was in korea, I heard some really good butchering of English.

Jeff

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong picking up Hatsumi's Kihon and Sanshin dvds. Bigshadow's caveat about having a live instructor still applies, but you'll find those dvds will be a resource throughout your training. You'll see something different every time you look at them.

More cheaply, I have Jack Hoban's and the Pittsburgh Bujinkan stuff. Doesn't stand up to repeat viewing so much, but both are resources for terminology.

Latest Discussions