Review of DVD : Hidden Weapons and Shuriken Techniques!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I received my copy of the DVD by Soke titled : Hidden Weapons and Shuriken Techniques. This DVD really is quite good in my opinion. I really enjoyed not only the technical application but also the footage of Soke speaking and talking about different tools used in Budo Taijutsu in a hidden manner. From Shuko to Shuriken, to Bo Shuriken and on this DVD is very well done in my opinion.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you post a link where I could find this? I'm running into dead ends on finding any of the Bujinkan DVDs.

thanks,

Jeff

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Here you go! This is VanDonk's site and I am sure there are plenty of other people selling it : http://www.ninjutsu.com/store/home.php?cat=160
I enjoyed this DVD alot! The footage is primarily black and white except for the daikomyosai footage at the end. Very artsy and definately a pleasure to watch. Goot cuts and definately some nice technique. Plus quite a few people I have met were also on it at various times and that made it cool to!

Brian R. VanCise

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks.

Even if I decide against going to the Bujinkan dojo, I was just so impressed watching Soke Hatsumi in the one DVD of a seminar I saw, I'll get his stuff anyways.

Jeff

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked this DVD also.

But...

I dont think Ive seen any of Hatsumi's DVDs that I didnt like, so...

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I liked this DVD also.

But...

I dont think Ive seen any of Hatsumi's DVDs that I didnt like, so...

Hey John,

It is funny how that works!
icon10.gif
The Quest set of DVDs by Hatsumi are always good. There are a few non quest videos that are not up to the Quest level. (they are still decent though)

Brian R. VanCise

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
I liked it.

I think it is great. My wife hates it , after forging all day to pay the bills, I spend half the night forging things from it to add to my collection :D

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make em and sell em to people like us.

What kind of smithing do you do. My wife does traditional blacksmithing.

Jeff

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Make em and sell em to people like us.

What kind of smithing do you do. My wife does traditional blacksmithing.

Jeff

Traditional old style forging :) , I have been making them and selling them for years to people like us. Many a person in Japan USA and Europe have toys by me. Here is a link to some Bo Shuriken I have made. The bio about me is incorrect though I am a professional blacksmith and have been for the last 17 years. I make weapons as a hobby/semi professionally in my spare time.
http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/dbowley_pics.htm

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool stuff, let us know how we can aquire some of your wares.

Jeff

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I have heard of your work and it comes very highly recommended!
Brian R. VanCise

I would just like to state for the record, that I did not pay my Mother to say those things about me, she did it of her own free will. :D

While the weapons and the challenge in forging them is what drew me to the Bujinkan in the first place, I have certainly fallen in love with the art in it's own right since I started training.
The challenge of recreating weapons of many Japanese ryu using traditional forging methods as close to their original form as I can is interesting (in particular Kakushi Buki).
The thing that really lights my fire these days though, is making henka of traditional weapons , as well as new style weapons by taking certain elements from several to form something new or using my knowledge gained in training to evolve new weapons.I have certainly built up a collection of several hundred weapons (I am guessing) over the years most of which people have only seen in books or Museums along with some very unique one off weapons of my own design.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would just like to state for the record, that I did not pay my Mother to say those things about me, she did it of her own free will. :D

While the weapons and the challenge in forging them is what drew me to the Bujinkan in the first place, I have certainly fallen in love with the art in it's own right since I started training.
The challenge of recreating weapons of many Japanese ryu using traditional forging methods as close to their original form as I can is interesting (in particular Kakushi Buki).
The thing that really lights my fire these days though, is making henka of traditional weapons , as well as new style weapons by taking certain elements from several to form something new or using my knowledge gained in training to evolve new weapons.I have certainly built up a collection of several hundred weapons (I am guessing) over the years most of which people have only seen in books or Museums along with some very unique one off weapons of my own design.

Daniel do you have a website set up with prices for your work?

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Daniel do you have a website set up with prices for your work?

No sorry Brian I don't at the moment. I am working (slowly) on updating my old user site with current pictures and will list prices for the more common tools in yen so people can convert it to their own currency. I will pm you the URL when I get it done.
People have always just Emailed me, with pictures or drawings of what they want with measurements etc . If I can't give them a firm quote from the picture etc , I will generally make the tool ( in my spare time) and send them pictures and a price once made. They are not obligated to purchase it if I do it this way , as I will just add it to my collection or sell it to someone else at a later date if they don't want it ( has never happened yet :D ).
People have been telling me for years I should get a domain name and set up a shopping cart type site but I have resisted this for several reasons.

One is control of who I deal with as I am only interested in make tools for serious Budoka.
Two is I don't mass produce anything everything is hand forged so everyone varies slightly and is unique in it's own right.
Thirdly there are so many variations of Japanese weapons that it is not practicle or possible to list prices of them all. For instance some Kusari fundo can take 2-3 hours to make and cost around $40 where as another style of Kusari fundo can take 2 days to make and cost upward of $200, some other styles would cost much more than this again . Shuriken are the same Meifu ryu Bo Shuriken are simple and I can do a set of 9 in an hour or so. Katori Shinto Ryu are more difficult and take 2 hours each, Negishi Ryu are more difficult again to forge and take many hours each to produce etc .
Last but not least is there are only so many hours in the day and I have only one pair of hands. I have activated my email though Martialtalk now. I was not aware I had deactivated it, so sorry if anyone has tried to email me from here.

Latest Discussions