Can't find TMA school in MD, please help!!

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Folks, I know this is going to sound like a desperate plea (and it is), but I'm stumped and confused. I've been desperately looking for a school and I just can't find one. I live in Olney, MD, which seems to be a black hole of martial arts. Using multiple sites, all of my google-fu, etc, I've repeatedly struck out. I'm willing to go to Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Columbia, etc (up to 30 or 40 minutes), but...

I had been excited because I found that my old school (from a long time ago) was very close (Jin Pal Hapkido), but when I called them a few days ago they said their lease was out at the end of the month and they hadn't found a new dojo(ang). Sounds like they're closing for good.

And now I'm stumped. I'm not interested in CMA (though there are two kung fu places nearby), but it's all TKD or TSD (which I'm not interested in). The one decent karate place I could find doesn't offer adult classes yet. There is no jujutsu (though plenty of BJJ - again not interested).

So if any of you are local and can give some advice, I'd appreciate it.

--Me

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe some of these places are close enough?

http://www.academyofmartialarts.net/adults.aspx it looks like they practice a traditional japanese art, but I can't find what style by browsing their site.

http://pureperformancemac.com/ this place offers some of the arts you say you're not interested in but they also offer Krav Maga if that floats your boat.

http://capital-aikido.org/?gclid=CLf5x7m3j6cCFdLLKgodASI6bA This is an aikido school in Hyattsville, but I don't know if that is too far for you.

http://www.harridayskarateandfitness.com/home.htm Shorin ryu

That's all I got for now. Good luck in finding a quality school!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for? We know you don't want TKD... but are you interested in Japanese martial arts, anything not TKD, or what? There's quite a lot in the area, actually. It's too bad you're not interested in Chinese martial arts, since Tai Yim is the current grandmaster of Hung Fut, and teaches in Silver Spring. He's a great teacher and has produced some great fighters...

OP
K

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe some of these places are close enough?

http://www.academyofmartialarts.net/adults.aspx it looks like they practice a traditional japanese art, but I can't find what style by browsing their site.

http://www.harridayskarateandfitness.com/home.htm Shorin ryu

That's all I got for now. Good luck in finding a quality school!

Yeah, the Academy of Martial Arts is one of hte *kan schools, and I wasn't impressed when I went to visit.

Harriday's has potential, I will go and visit them.

What are you looking for? We know you don't want TKD... but are you interested in Japanese martial arts, anything not TKD, or what? There's quite a lot in the area, actually. It's too bad you're not interested in Chinese martial arts, since Tai Yim is the current grandmaster of Hung Fut, and teaches in Silver Spring. He's a great teacher and has produced some great fighters...

Apologies, I had very clearly written what I was interested in accross my frontal lobes, but somehow that never translated into my fingers typing properly.

I'm looking for karate, jujutsu (Japanese, not Brazillian), or Hapkido. Something that is well rounded, the hard with the soft, etc. And while I speak a bit of Mandarin, have traveled frequently to the PROC (and a few times to the ROC), etc, I've never found a CMA that really appealed to me. They've always tended to be too focused and not general enough.

--Me

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And while I speak a bit of Mandarin, have traveled frequently to the PROC (and a few times to the ROC), etc, I've never found a CMA that really appealed to me. They've always tended to be too focused and not general enough.

--Me

Just out of curiosity what CMA styles have you looked at?

Since all CMA styles are kicking, punching, qinna and Shuaijiao to varying degrees.

Chinese Martial Arts

OP
K

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've seen wu-shu (the sport), wing tsun (chun), the shaolin kung fu, and a few of the animal styles (crane, tiger, dragon and ... monkey I think it was?).

I do not mean to disparage them or their effectiveness, it isn't about that. It is more that I am looking for something which is minimalist, efficient, etc. The Chinese Martial Arts I've seen (minus Wing Tsun) seem to have a lot of extraneous movements which don't appeal to me. It isn't an issue of better vs worse, just what appeals. Now to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about Hung Fut, except that it is a Northern Style (which, to be honest, means nothing to me).

--Me

EDIT: Of course, now having followed your link (after I posted, clearly), I see that Hung Fut is a Southern Style. Not that Northern vs Southern mean much to me in my insular ignorance :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've seen wu-shu (the sport), wing tsun (chun), the shaolin kung fu, and a few of the animal styles (crane, tiger, dragon and ... monkey I think it was?).

I do not mean to disparage them or their effectiveness, it isn't about that. It is more that I am looking for something which is minimalist, efficient, etc. The Chinese Martial Arts I've seen (minus Wing Tsun) seem to have a lot of extraneous movements which don't appeal to me. It isn't an issue of better vs worse, just what appeals. Now to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about Hung Fut, except that it is a Northern Style (which, to be honest, means nothing to me).

--Me

EDIT: Of course, now having followed your link (after I posted, clearly), I see that Hung Fut is a Southern Style. Not that Northern vs Southern mean much to me in my insular ignorance :)

Understood

I would not base anything on Sports Wushu stuff nor would I base anything on Shaolin these days either and when it comes to animal forms you have to be careful since you can be right back into the sports wushu stuff without realizing it.

1) Xingyiquan - however training can be boring at times (like all MA styles), rather painful and hard if done right

2) Shuaijiao - training is hard, painful and exhausting if done right

3) Sanda/Sanshou... not sport... other... although sport may also cover what you are looking for and trained right it is rather well rounded, effective and does not have a whole lot of extra stuff. Again training any version of this is not easy if it is done right

But regardless if they are not in your area this info does you no good.

Note: I started in Japanese Jujutsu so I understand the appeal

Last edited:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

--Me

Rather than saying "No" without having a background to say "Yep I was right", why not try it. Especially having only been exposed to PRC Wushu & PRC Shaolin.

No serious CMA *especially from the south* uses extraneous motion. Everything has a purpose, use and intended action/reaction. As you stated, you don't know anything about Hung Fut. Go try it... you might actually suprise yourself.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Academy of Martial Arts is one of hte *kan schools, and I wasn't impressed when I went to visit.

Harriday's has potential, I will go and visit them.

Apologies, I had very clearly written what I was interested in accross my frontal lobes, but somehow that never translated into my fingers typing properly.

I'm looking for karate, jujutsu (Japanese, not Brazillian), or Hapkido. Something that is well rounded, the hard with the soft, etc. And while I speak a bit of Mandarin, have traveled frequently to the PROC (and a few times to the ROC), etc, I've never found a CMA that really appealed to me. They've always tended to be too focused and not general enough.

--Me
Visit Tai Yim's school. It's worth a look, if you can put your past experiences and expectations behind you.

There are a number of good Isshin-ryu schools in the area, as well. Karate Knights is one; I know the lead instructor and he is a very skilled practitioner. If you contact him, he can refer you to others closer if Ft. Davis is too far for you.

There are also a few Bando clubs out that way; you can find info at American Bando Association - Schools

OP
K

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've reached out to Daniel Sullivan as well as the Maryland Ki Society (Aikido people, though to be honest I'm slightly more interested in aikijutsu). Found him/his site via another post - serendipity?

--Me

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rather than saying "No" without having a background to say "Yep I was right", why not try it. Especially having only been exposed to PRC Wushu & PRC Shaolin.

No serious CMA *especially from the south* uses extraneous motion. Everything has a purpose, use and intended action/reaction. As you stated, you don't know anything about Hung Fut. Go try it... you might actually suprise yourself.

I gotta agree here. OK, if you really are more interested in Japanese stuff, that's your choice and no problem. But I'll say that once I found the right teacher the Chinese stuff really came alive for me. Frightfully powerful stuff. Of course it does take the right teacher, but that goes for any style.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Folks, I know this is going to sound like a desperate plea (and it is), but I'm stumped and confused. I've been desperately looking for a school and I just can't find one. I live in Olney, MD, which seems to be a black hole of martial arts. Using multiple sites, all of my google-fu, etc, I've repeatedly struck out. I'm willing to go to Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Columbia, etc (up to 30 or 40 minutes), but...

I had been excited because I found that my old school (from a long time ago) was very close (Jin Pal Hapkido), but when I called them a few days ago they said their lease was out at the end of the month and they hadn't found a new dojo(ang). Sounds like they're closing for good.

And now I'm stumped. I'm not interested in CMA (though there are two kung fu places nearby), but it's all TKD or TSD (which I'm not interested in). The one decent karate place I could find doesn't offer adult classes yet. There is no jujutsu (though plenty of BJJ - again not interested).

So if any of you are local and can give some advice, I'd appreciate it.

--Me
Try Peter Polander he is in Bethesda Md. he teaches Ryu-te and I believe they also have Danzan Ryu Jujutsu he is online so should be easy to find

OP
K

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try Peter Polander he is in Bethesda Md. he teaches Ryu-te and I believe they also have Danzan Ryu Jujutsu he is online so should be easy to find

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm looking for, but Polander is out for me. Hard to find Japanese arts in the area :/

--Me

OP
K

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I've found two schools, and could use some feedback. Obviously I'll be visiting them in person, but my knowledge of the basics are limited.

The first is Shotokan Karate of Gaithersburg
The second options is Pugarita Karate-Do

Now I know and like Shotokan, but I know next to nothing about Shito Ryu. And Pugarita seems like it's focused on tournaments (and Olympic training) which makes me think it is slightly less of a traditional school. While I enjoy sparring, I'm not looking for a sport.

Ideas? Feedback? Random guesses? I'll shut up after this, I promise.

--Me

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ugh. Japanese arts aren't really my forte. Shame really. I've done most of my training in Maryland and have spent years and years in the Rockville/G-Burg/Columbia/Silver Spring area. Unfortunately (for you), my background is all eskrima, muay thai, JKD-type stuff. And there's plenty of that in the area you describe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just going by the websites -- Pugarita Karate seems rather commercial. The Shotokan club seems to be a more traditional environment. I'm not personally familiar with either of them, though. Have you visited either?

Latest Discussions