finding a school or group to work with

sok

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about 50 years old, and recently moved to SW MO from SF. I was in a JKD group in SF for over a year and have done various martial arts over the years, including wing chun and combatscience.com in LA. I'm interested in practical self-defense, and I really like kung fu and the non-violence tone of aikido.

I've been looking for a school, or people who would be willing to work together, not finding much around here.

I have found a school in Springfield, MO. It's about an hour away. I might check it out. While I'm looking, and considering moving to another area, maybe west of here, as far as AZ, to find a good group or school.

Anyone know of a list or of any schools or groups that may be a good fit?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about 50 years old, and recently moved to SW MO from SF. I was in a JKD group in SF for over a year and have done various martial arts over the years, including wing chun and combatscience.com in LA. I'm interested in practical self-defense, and I really like kung fu and the non-violence tone of aikido.

I've been looking for a school, or people who would be willing to work together, not finding much around here.

I have found a school in Springfield, MO. It's about an hour away. I might check it out. While I'm looking, and considering moving to another area, maybe west of here, as far as AZ, to find a good group or school.

I'm not sure I'd move?

what is it your defining as a " good group"

non violence and effective self defence are hard to reconcile, you may need to pick one

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

For clarification, you moved from Frisco to southwest Missouri. You do not have a ton of experience in any one style and you are looking for a specific type of school or group to workout with, have sound something an hour away, but otherwise not having much. Not clear if your desire is to workout together or 'lead' this group.
However, you are also willing to travel all the way to Arizona to workout?

Am I reading your right. I am a bit confused.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For clarification, you moved from Frisco to southwest Missouri. You do not have a ton of experience in any one style and you are looking for a specific type of school or group to workout with, have sound something an hour away, but otherwise not having much. Not clear if your desire is to workout together or 'lead' this group.

no he us willing to move to Arizona to work out, as this is less trouble than commuting for an hour to do so,

OP
sok

sok

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd move?

what is it your defining as a " good group"

non violence and effective self defence are hard to reconcile, you may need to pick one
"good group" - people interested and willing to learn

OP
sok

sok

White Belt
Reaction score

yeah, i was torn about being here or going somewhere else. was considering AZ, but heard it's restrictive with masks, not so much here, so leaning towards staying.

As for working out together or leading, depends what I find. I met someone who started Combat Science, and saw 2 guys using BJJ online learning, so if I don't find a proper school or group, I may try to get some people together, and we combine what we know and maybe some online learning.

Methos

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a wing chun class in springfield mo, i dont check this form much, feel free to email me, [email protected] for details if you're interested.

Latest Discussions